Any modpacks?

On 12/20/2022 at 2:58 AM, Soronarr said:

mods for Skyrim is a chore, especialyl when you just want to fap. Are here any preconfigured mopacks or just straight up compressed mod folder?

Not in this century, besides you would be playing someone else's game, their choice of Mods, Playstyle, environment style, Sex preferences, etc., etc.

What fun is that?? Besides if it is worth doing, it worth doing right! Which means, Don't be Lazy! Just Do It!

I spent 14 hours re-doing my Skyrim SE just a few days ago, complete reinstall of game and mods.

On 12/20/2022 at 5:20 AM, belegost said:

Oh look, somebody wants to have it easy!

Is there actually such a thing, concept when modding a game?!?! Loving your reply and GIF!!!

Edited by caveman74
1 hour ago, Tlam99 said:

it took me 14 months since I bought the game to get a stable setup.

I had a stable game set up until my Steam link broke, then when re-establishing the link Steam installed the AE update. So I reinstalled the game, downgrade patched to 1.5.97, reinstalled all my mods from my saved manual downloads, 14 hours.

2 hours ago, belegost said:

Rookie numbers.

I do not get it, is there a way I could have saved time, my Vortex was empty and I had to reinstall my mods. I am open to education!

9 minutes ago, caveman74 said:

I do not get it, is there a way I could have saved time, my Vortex was empty and I had to reinstall my mods. I am open to education!

I'm guessing they meant just the opposite.  Some of us spend far more time browsing mods and setting up load orders then we ever spend playing, then we get halfway through the game, decide to toss some mods and try the newest, latest gee-whiz shiny mods and start all over again.

EDITED TO ADD:  Sometimes I think I get more enjoyment out of the modding process than I do out of playing.

Edited by travelmedic
1 hour ago, caveman74 said:

I do not get it, is there a way I could have saved time,

3 hours ago, Tlam99 said:

14 months

It's been over 3 years since I  started modding for real and I haven't finished a single game since then.

Mostly because I do my own patches in xEdit.

For all plugins.

Manually.

Then I decide I don't like something so I remove the plugin.

And redo the patch.

Manually.

Edited by belegost
1 hour ago, travelmedic said:

then we get halfway through the game, decide to toss some mods and try the newest, latest gee-whiz shiny mods and start all over again.

More like "shit starts breaking down and we have to star all over again".

Including fresh install of the whole game, which, ever since Todd Almighty decided to "grace" us with AE has been made even more tedious, because now you have to account for downgrade patcher.

Edited by belegost
4 hours ago, travelmedic said:

I'm guessing they meant just the opposite. 

:classic_lightbulb: Ok, I get it, thanks!! I'm an Old fart and not as quick as I used to be!

3 hours ago, belegost said:

It's been over 3 years since I  started modding for real

I never touched a Computer till I bought this one in Spring 2020, specifically bought it so I could mod Skyrim SE. I have noticed Skyrim is not as easy to add and subtract mods, compared to Fallout 4. I guess Bethesda will screw us all there to with the coming changes.

XEdit is a program I have yet to figure out, I have been to the cathedral on the mountain, to the tomes of esoteric knowledge, but could not decipher the language writ therein. Gods, why they have to be so haughty is beyond me, I just figured myself unworthy as they wrote it way over my head and I was chided and ridiculed for asking questions, so I bailed and never returned. Give me the 7000 steps to High Hrothgar over the trek to their Forbidden Cathedral!!

Edited by caveman74

Wabbajack modlists are exacly that. Most are pretty much download and play with huge selection of mods. You can browse on the UI for sfw and NSFW modlist and even add mods on top. 

The cool thing about this is the fact that it uses either game root or stock game feature so it copies your whole skyrim folder to another location, leaving the original folder untouched. I use this method and add my mods on top and modify the modlist. 

9 hours ago, caveman74 said:

XEdit is a program I have yet to figure out,

Funnily xEdit is the easiest one. All you have is a bunch of tables and every difference between plugins is visible right away. If you can do taxes, you can do xEdit.

25 minutes ago, belegost said:

Funnily xEdit is the easiest one. All you have is a bunch of tables and every difference between plugins is visible right away. If you can do taxes, you can do xEdit.

xedit is leading often into a wrong direction, specially new users...and furthermore is that sse version of that software coming with a "AGB", which I simply did not agree. There´s nothing which this software offers, which I can not reach in another way. Specially that "cleaning" (if mostly used blindly) is damaging lot of user´s game and causing lot of problems. Only to put this "tool" on it´s right place, same is for "loot". Means that those are no "must have" for some mod-additions into skyrim.

A well made skyrim installation is working for best if it is done wisely, with some experiences, which are collected by some years. That´s known .

14 days for an installation with some complexer LL mods is quite a good time if it all works fine. 14 hrs is an installation, which is been made by an experienced user.

Mod-lists can not work for all the different enb-settings and different computers. And who likes to see it ´s mod inside of a pack of somebody, who has no idea what s(he) is sharing, maybe for some donations?...no-thank you!

Edited by t.ara
23 hours ago, caveman74 said:

Ok, I get it, thanks!! I'm an Old fart and not as quick as I used to be!

Just to give you a perspective: I just spent a whole day, like 8 hours straight merging several hundred Container records, so LOTD, Skooma Whore, Trade&Barter and SL Survival would work together, because I wanted to play LOTD on top of everything else, while having access to distributed bikini armors, SLSW drugs AND fate cards, while maintaining merchant changes that T&B implements. And that's just one category. I haven't even browsed any other records that LOTD changes to see what would I need to merge.

And I'm still not sure if all of it won't crash and burn somewhere down the line, several dozen hours into the game.

Welcome to real Skyrim modding. Fuck you, modpacks.

Edited by belegost
On 12/23/2022 at 2:07 AM, t.ara said:

14 hrs is an installation, which is been made by an experienced user.

To be fair, all the mods, I download manually, save them in a storage drive for reuse later if I need them. This install was basically a mirror of my former game I lost. 

So I spent that time dragging and dropping, bored out of my skull, till I got it done.  :confounded:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, caveman74 said:

I download manually, save them in a storage drive for reuse later if I need them

You know that a mod manager can literally do that for you? As in it has a separate download location that you can specify, that is different than a location that an installed mod files are being kept for reference? And that's before you even deploy/overwrite them for you current mod profile which is yet another location. At least for the Nexus, with LL you still have to download them manually, but you can save them to the same folder that your mod manager uses for its downloads, so you don't have to drag and drop every time, you can just hit "install". Saves you a lot of hassle for huge load orders.

Edited by belegost
2 hours ago, belegost said:

but you can save them to the same folder that your mod manager uses for its downloads, so you don't have to drag and drop every time, you can just hit "install". Saves you a lot of hassle for huge load orders.

I use Vortex, I did not know what you described. I can't say I would know how to do that. I started doing this so if I ever had an issue, I would have a backup to rely on.

Am 22.12.2022 um 16:59 Uhr sagte Tlam99:

Ich muss dann wirklich langsam sein, denn ich habe 14 Monate gebraucht, seit ich das Spiel gekauft habe, um ein stabiles Setup zu bekommen.

ich habe es nicht mal in 10 Jahren hinbekommen

ich habe es aber auch laufend umgebaut

2 hours ago, caveman74 said:

I use Vortex,

Settings -> Download -> first option at the top

This is where all files downloaded by Vortex get stored. This is not the same as Staging folder:

Settings -> Mods -> first option at the top

A breakdown how it works:

Download folder just stores all the files and archives you downloaded, you can put it anywhere you want, even on an external drive.

Staging folder is the folder where mods are stored after you hit "install". This unpacks the archive from downloads folder, copies them to staging folder, checks for conflicts, and if the mod has a FOMOD installer, it stores all your choices you made during installation. You can install the same mod many times selecting different options, and thus create variants which you can switch between. This too is stored in staging folder. This folder is best kept on the same drive as your game installation. Do not keep it in the game folder, because this is a global setting for all games that Vortex supports. Each game has its own dedicated subfolder inside staging folder.

Now, when you hit "deploy" it takes all the active mods with all the currently selected variants from the staging folder and applies it to your game. If there's a conflict it will ask you to select in what order they should deploy, thus creating an overwrite rule. If you disable the mod in Vortex and deploy, it will remove all that mod's files from game folder but will keep them in staging folder, with all the choices you made during installation. You can effectively enable and disable mods at will without having to go through installation process. Unless you made manual changes to mod files inside the game folder, this operation in most cases leaves no leftover files.

The most notable exception to the last one is if you apply outfit presets in Bodyslide. Those are often left over because Bodyslide creates its own files that are in most cases not controlled by Vortex. Those need to be removed separately. Bodyslide has a function for it, but you ned to do it before uninstalling an outfit.

Now the slightly more advanced part:

Vortex will detect manual changes for most files (on deployment), and plugins (.esp) especially, (not outfit or body .nifs though, as stated above, so be aware of it) and will ask if you want to keep the change or revert to what is in Staging folder. If the change was made by you consciously, you want to keep the change. If not, say you deleted the file by accident, you can select revert and it will restore the file to its original state, as if nothing bad had happened.

Edited by belegost