At first level, I get a few letters from the courier...  the anonymous letter from the necromancer cc quest, the bloodchill manor letter, letter from tyra bloodfire, strangers plea, and warrior's challnge (hendraheim).  The starngers' plea is supposed to start at level 46.  The others are supposed to be handed out be couriers later on as well. 

I checked in xedit and don't see any conflicts... the cause is winning conflict with skyrm.esm, update, esm, etc.  Besides, I don't see a place where it says the starting level anyway.  Any ideas where I'd look to see what seems to be overwriting the start level?

xEdit is the place to find plugin conflicts, just make sure you load your entire load order as-is, otherwise you'll get false information.

As for what defines at what level the note is delivered, only way I've seen this done so far is through script. You'd need to find a script that is using the WICourierScript -script, which is in WICourier "Courier" [QUST:00039F82] -quest. There should be a call to AddItemToContainer on that object, and the level check somewhere before that. There's most likely lots of other ways of doing this, but this is the way it was done in the vanilla game I recall.

Edited by traison

That's what I thought.  I'm thinking maybe some setting was changed outside of load order.  In xEdit, the cc mod is the last and wins all conflicts (I've removed any Bashed/Smashed patch).  I'm backing up my mod list, and doing a complete wipe of Skyrim from my PC, then reinstalling.  I'll add mods and test thereafter... it just doesn't look like a conflict to me.

I've seen this issue talked about in literally one or two other posts through google, so I think is a possible but rare situation.  TBH, i've downgraded and upgrade my versions several times so maybe this clean install thing will clear it.  We'll see, I suppose.