• 3 months later...

So I know it has been a while (almost a year since the first iteration).  But I wanted to give a brief update on where I am with all of this.

Firstly, I have rewritten most everything at this point.  Largely the only thing in common with the previous version is the names of the races. I am close to release, I still need to fix a few small  things, and write up instructions.

Here is a teaser of features though:

• Mod Rewritten from mostly scratch
  • No longer uses iAS to get custom clothes for shortstacks
    • Instead I wrote a custom SKSE DLL to do all of the weird backend stuff of swapping armor addon records
  • New bodyslide generator instead of iASManager.  Also has 100% less bugs
  • Dynamic (and Optional) addition of SexLabSurvival's Inequality debuff for females
  • Optional buffs/debuffs for short races to make the gameplay more interesting
  • Customizing clothing to fit, clothes you loot from the larger people of the world won't fit right, and need to be trimmed up for short races
    • This is probably going to be the roughest edge of the new mod
  • Better character generation stuff (no more player size adjuster dependency)
  • Support for SE/AE
  • Should be easier to add custom followers and NPCs
  • I still have a very rough and unfinished goblin-alternate-start that I want to get finished. Although that won't delay or prevent the release of this new version.

Thanks to those who have tried the original and lurked in the thread! 

On 11/28/2023 at 12:30 AM, TerribleUserName said:

So I know it has been a while (almost a year since the first iteration).  But I wanted to give a brief update on where I am with all of this.

Firstly, I have rewritten most everything at this point.  Largely the only thing in common with the previous version is the names of the races. I am close to release, I still need to fix a few small  things, and write up instructions.

Here is a teaser of features though:

• Mod Rewritten from mostly scratch
  • No longer uses iAS to get custom clothes for shortstacks
    • Instead I wrote a custom SKSE DLL to do all of the weird backend stuff of swapping armor addon records
  • New bodyslide generator instead of iASManager.  Also has 100% less bugs
  • Dynamic (and Optional) addition of SexLabSurvival's Inequality debuff for females
  • Optional buffs/debuffs for short races to make the gameplay more interesting
  • Customizing clothing to fit, clothes you loot from the larger people of the world won't fit right, and need to be trimmed up for short races
    • This is probably going to be the roughest edge of the new mod
  • Better character generation stuff (no more player size adjuster dependency)
  • Support for SE/AE
  • Should be easier to add custom followers and NPCs
  • I still have a very rough and unfinished goblin-alternate-start that I want to get finished. Although that won't delay or prevent the release of this new version.

Thanks to those who have tried the original and lurked in the thread! 

I'm just glad you've taken out the requirement for mods that require people going to Schaken's website, you know that guy made his own version of SexLab to remove the restrictions on allowing child NPCs right?

On 11/30/2023 at 12:11 PM, AliRenegade said:

I'm just glad you've taken out the requirement for mods that require people going to Schaken's website, you know that guy made his own version of SexLab to remove the restrictions on allowing child NPCs right?

Yeah, I never liked that I had to rely on a questionable site to get a mod dependency.  Plus iAS was waaay too cumbersome for what I wanted in this mod.  So now, even my replacement for it is optional.  For example, I now have regular BHUNP vanilla clothes for the big races, but I use the BHUNP minidresses for the short races.  It is a lot more straight forward, and there's plenty of room to improve and control the support of the mod. Plus, i'll put up my gitlab for it once I release, so people can continue freely.

There is still some work to do before I release the next version, and I really want to test things out and get some long-play in the game before I unleash it.

Definitely going to have to punt the short race armor customization to a much further release. I am by no means a seasoned mod developer, and the papyrus parts still give me a headache. 

Ah that's too bad. IAS is kinda perfect for what it does. Really easy self made conversions for any armor that gets released, in seconds. The self made part is important since it means no more waiting around for mod authors to update what a custom race is allowed to wear.

I'm not aware of any alternatives myself.

On 12/2/2023 at 6:33 PM, venomr said:

Ah that's too bad. IAS is kinda perfect for what it does. Really easy self made conversions for any armor that gets released, in seconds. The self made part is important since it means no more waiting around for mod authors to update what a custom race is allowed to wear.

I'm not aware of any alternatives myself.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  My IAS replacement seems to work great, im doing a longish playthrough to make sure it doesn't have any bugs before I release.  The new utility I wrote to manage it all and create bodyslides seems solid enough.  However, as I play with it more, I realized that a good OBodyNG config mostly does what I want in 80 percent of the cases.

Where my new utility (and something like IAS shine) is if you want entirely different looking meshes for armor between races.  For example, I am using a standard BHUNP Vanilla replacer, but my short races use the BHUNP Minidresses replacer.  This will require some assembly by whoever wants to use it though.

The part I am going to pass on for now is the idea that short races need to "customize" their armors before wearing them.  For example, why does a suit of armor that you took from some nord dude fit and work perfectly.  Its an immersion thing I want to do, but I also don't want to have to make a bunch of patchers, even though that would be simpler to develop.

On 12/12/2023 at 5:27 AM, MorePrinniesDood said:

I love what you're doing with the original mod. Any chance of backporting that SKSE DLL to LE? The way I was doing armors in the LE version was a huge headache even for vanilla armors, and don't get me started on mod armors.

I can take a look at it.  I only started to learn how to write SKSE DLLs recently, so thats why I am trying to test a bunch. 

When I reinstalled Skyrim a few months ago to pick this back up again, I forgot to tell steam not to "auto update", so that kinda messed me up, cause I foolishly decided that I could just recreate my mod list in newest AE. Surprise, that didn't work out too well for me, so I've had to revert a bunch of stuff to get back into making this all run.

At this point, I think the SKSE DLL armor swap just kinda needs to be its own thing (and probably will be).  The functionality of something like OBodyNG covers almost everything.  Except if you want to use separate meshes for armor, so it will be optional.

Regarding armor customization/resizing (the game mechanic -- not visual), I kinda have it working in pieces, but its pretty janky and the scripts are a mess, so I REALLY want to get that figured out.

Edit: I now think its possible to put together a synthesis patcher that can make all of the record changes we would need for the armor visuals swap, but I'm tabling that for now in favor of getting other things done.

Edited by TerribleUserName
  • 4 weeks later...

Work continues, I have figured out a pretty decent way to get the armors to do what I want to do. So there is really a few things going on at this point in the mod.  I'd like to be able to upload the new version with these working, and without them being too dependent on eachother.

1. Base Mod -- has short races, uses an SKSE plugin to dynamically swap the armor mesh if it has been built with bodyslide

2. ArmorReworker -- A GUI tool that clones and modifies existing Bodyslide files to output to a set prefix (this is how we can have different meshes for short races) -- OPTIONAL

3. ArmorCustomization -- a Synthesis tool that works with the base mod to create Craftable Shortened versions of armors and clothing in the game. Can use either base meshes or reworked meshes depending on player preference -- OPTIONAL

I have tried for a while now to get the SKSE plugin to handle the "Crafting" of the modified versions, but couldn't get it to work without being a buggy crashing mess.

Getting all of the above stuff working nicely, and bug free is my current priority.  The world flavor, quests, alternate starts, etc for short races will definitely be a future thing after I get all of this stuff here done.

So everything seems to be working great. Couple of things on my TODO list before I upload the new version:

1. Write new and better instructions
  2. Test as much as I can to make sure it is good enough for everyone
  3. Possibly some more work on the ArmorReworker tool to make it more user friendly.
  4. Improve the FOMOD installer to be more clear and have it easier for people to configure

Depending on my free time this weekend, I would expect release before Monday.  Which means now that I have written it, I have cursed myself.

Edited by TerribleUserName

Hey am i the only one having the issue where this where no matter what i do the player size Adjuster will just reset if i enter any sexlab scence or do anything really as in if i get into combat it seems to reset the height and if i change clothes it seems to reset am i the only one having this issue?

12 hours ago, WolfPack51942 said:

Hey am i the only one having the issue where this where no matter what i do the player size Adjuster will just reset if i enter any sexlab scence or do anything really as in if i get into combat it seems to reset the height and if i change clothes it seems to reset am i the only one having this issue?

I dont use player size adjuster. I just use the scale setting in racemenu to reduce my size.

• 2 weeks later...

For the character weight thing, I've never really noticed that.  I can poke around once I have my game up and running again.

I've never had an issue with player size adjuster, but the scale in racemenu should work too.  I've had weird camera things happen when using scale, so that is why I favor player size adjuster. 

Shortly after I pushed the update, the drive I keep my games on started getting weird.  Been trying to get my skyrim setup again for modding.  All of the project files for this mod are fine, I didn't lose any work, just time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 3:52 AM, johnhamm said:

Does this mod do anything related to animations being poorly aligned for SL scenes or is it purely focussed on armour?

This mod doesn't do anything regarding animations. Unfortunately those are something I have almost no experience with.

For now, the mod is about adding the new races, and optional custom armors.

So I should have another update coming soon.  Preview of changes:
- Presets for all of the short races

- FOMOD options for BHUNP vs CBBE

- Integration patch for The New Gentleman

- bug fixes

Also after I got my game re-modded using some more modern load orders, I don't have issues with the camera when I change the character height in RaceMenu, so I will update the instructions to remove PlayerSizeAdjuster from the list.

• 2 weeks later...

So I am really not sure what I am doing wrong, Skyrim crashes on launch only after enabling this mod (I am using SE, 1.6.1170). I have crash logger and it gives this response:

"Unhandled exception "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF83D85B33B ShortStack_NG.dll+001B33B    movzx edx, byte ptr [rax+0x1A]" Which is the very first line in the Call Stack

I am not an expert but I was under the impression means some kind of version mismatch (though I could be totally wrong). I am not particularly looking into all the armor replacing stuff, just want the races for the time being (And if I did I would use OBody Next Generation). Oh and I double checked all the required mods, and am using M02

Edited by FelixLoneita
Added more informaton
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 11:12 AM, FelixLoneita said:

So I am really not sure what I am doing wrong, Skyrim crashes on launch only after enabling this mod (I am using SE, 1.6.1170). I have crash logger and it gives this response:

"Unhandled exception "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF83D85B33B ShortStack_NG.dll+001B33B    movzx edx, byte ptr [rax+0x1A]" Which is the very first line in the Call Stack

I am not an expert but I was under the impression means some kind of version mismatch (though I could be totally wrong). I am not particularly looking into all the armor replacing stuff, just want the races for the time being (And if I did I would use OBody Next Generation). Oh and I double checked all the required mods, and am using M02

I am not using that version, although address library _should_ resolve any version differences. It could be a bug, not sure without seeing more from a crash log and testing it.  I am working on a new method that fixes some potential bugs, so maybe that will help once I am finished. So I don't think I can directly help at all on this at the moment, sorry.

Hey, just wanted to say great work on this mod! I have noticed that the custom races don't have the extended racemenu sliders in racemenu (only the vanilla ones), while the normal vanilla races still have them. Any reason this might be? I could be missing something obvious.