Shortstack Uncensored - SE

View File

ShortStack_NG

This mod requires, in my opinion, an intermediate level of modding experience, and familiarity with how files and mods are organized.  If you have manipulated BodySlide files, or created your own mods and patches, then you will be able to get through this guide. For others, it might take a bit, but almost everything you need is here and on google.

Please read everything here, and everything in the installer, this is not super easy to do yet!

What is this?
A while back, I found a mod by MorePrinniesDood (and others), which allowed for new races of the short variety including Goblins.  I wanted to play Skyrim with a very Gobliny playthrough this mod is an effort towards that.  Not only does the original (and this mod) include Goblins, but 4 other short races:

• Goblins
  • Gnomes
  • Deep Gnomes
  • Nixies
  • Kobolds

In addition to the new races (see below for more information on each) it includes new features to enhance and expand playthroughs using the short races. Briefly these are:

• Custom body type support
  • Custom bodyslide meshes (armor swapping)
  • For example, you can use a regular replacer for everyone like this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/99748
  • Game mechanics to restrict armor until it is resized
  • In the future there will be more features and flavor content to improve the short stack experience and make the gameplay more interested or different.

This mod is still an early beta, and might break your game. It requires a new game.

How the Mod works

Basics
The esp included contains the races, keywords, and powers for the races.  The SKSE plugin works by watching equip events on the player, and then at the time of equipping, switches the mesh of an armor for different one at a prefixed path.  For example, if you equip an armor that refers to the mesh at meshes/armor/cool_hat.nif, this mod checks for an alternate mesh at meshes/shortstack/armor/cool_hat.nif. If the replacement exists, then we add a new ARMA (ArmorAddon) record to the armor that contains the rewritten path and the race the player is playing.  This change happens at runtime, and is not persisted or saved, so it should not corrupt or break any save files.

Refitted Armor
When an armor is equipped, the skse plugin looks for the existence of a keyword called SSP_ModifiedArmor, which denotes that this armor has been created by the player to work for the short races and should not incur any penalties.  If the armor does not have this keyword, then a corresponding penalty for "Ill Fitting Armor" is applied.  These debuffs correspond to the armor parts of boots, gloves, and body armor.  Clothing does not incur any additional penalties.

How to Refit Armor
To refit an armor, the player has a lesser power called "Access Sewing Kit".  This will open a limited crafting window that shows the currently equipped armor that can be refitted. To refit the armor you will need to have "Sewing Supplies" in your inventory.  These can be crafted at a forge for the cost of 1 Iron Ingot, 1 Leather Strip, and 1 Linen. They are consumed in the process of refitting.  The old armor is consumed by this process, and the player is given a new refitted armor as a replacement. This new armor will no longer incur penalties from wear, and is denoted by "Resized" in the name.
This feature is enabled by default, and does require creating a Synthesis patch.
See the Technical Details section below for information on how this works

Installation
Hard Dependencies

• Only tested on SkyrimAE (GoG) -- will probably work with other SE/AE with correct Address Library
  • SKSE (https://skse.silverlock.org/)
  • Address Library (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/32444)
  • RaceCompatibility (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2853)
  • USMP (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/49616)
  • Player Size Adjuster (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14515)
    • You will need this to make your character short, otherwise its just a normal size character.
  • NL_MCM (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/49127)
  • Goam's Elven Ears (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/99528)
  • A Mod organizer, I use MO2. If you are using something else, ymmv. I will write instructions for MO2.

Soft Dependencies

1. Bodyslide (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/201) -- Required for ArmorReworker
  2. OBody Next Generation (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/77016) -- Please read the section below
  3. Synthesis (https://github.com/Mutagen-Modding/Synthesis/releases) -- Only needed for playing with ArmorRefitting
  4. A bunch of BodySlide enabled clothes and armors, vanilla replacers, whatever.
  5. A patch for FertilityMode is included, its rough and probably needs some improvement, but it does work.

About OBody Next Generation
So when I created the first version of this mod, OBody Next Generation (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/77016) didn't exist, and wasn't a thing.  At the time I was using ImmersiveArmorSwapper to accomplish the mesh swapping to get the right looking armor for short races.  This was a cumbersome and annoying process, and included some not great dependencies for the player.

OBody-NG allows for dynamic swapping of body presets for players and NPCs. This means you can have a preset for your shortstack and only apply it to yourself, which (if you built the bodyslides) will show correct armor of the correct size on your character, without having to create new meshes for short stacks in bodyslide.

So you might ask the question: "If it already lets me have correct armor shapes on my shortstack, then why do I need this mod?"

The answer is, unless you really want to get precise, you probably don't need to do anything in this guide with ArmorReworker or Bodyslide.  However, if you want to have the NPCs wear basic looking vanilla stuff, and your short races to have something more wild or different, then you will definitely want to proceed with the ArmorReworker steps below.
In closing, it is completely compatible, and actually does a good portion of what this mod does, unless you want more immersion.  I personally use it alongside this mod, and can recommend it.

Personalization

• The mod comes with BHUNP Meshes and Textures, if you want to use something else, you will need to replace some files with your own.
    • These are found inside the mod at meshes\shortstack\actors\character\character assets
  • The mod comes with a BodySlide preset, but you might want to use your own
    • These are found inside the mod at CalienteTools\BodySlide\SliderPresets
  • High Poly Heads are included, but you can switch these out for your own meshes
    • These are found inside the mod at meshes\shortstack\KL\High Poly Head
  • The mod uses XPMSE skeletons that have slight customizations to the node sizes, you can always replace these with your own.
    • These are found inside the mod at meshes\shortstack
  • The mod uses Demoniac skins for BHUNP, you can switch these to your liking
  • These are found inside the mod at textures\shortstack

Installation Process

1. Install the fomod, please read each section, this is a tempermental process that needs care
  2. Optionally Personalize the installed meshes, presets, textures (see above).
  3. If you have decided to use ArmorReworker:
    1. If using MO2, then you will need to add an executable for the "ArmorReworker" application. This executable is found in the mod at ArmorReworker/armor_reworker.exe
    2. Open Armor Reworker from MO2
    3. Choose the directory where your bodyslide files are located.  This can be your top level "mods" directory in MO2, or an individual directory.
    4. Next click "Find Armors", wait until it is done, and the list of checkboxes is populated
    5. Choose where you want the output generated. I recommend using a new empty mod directory for MO2
    6. Type in a prefix for the conversions, i highly recommend leaving this as "shortstack".
    7. Select which armors you wish to convert, you probably want to select them all.
    8. Click "Convert Selected" and wait for the process to complete.
    9. When it finishes, the output mod directory you selected will have a "CalienteTools" subdirectory with all of the conversions.
    10. Build bodyslides with your new input selected, you can find the "ArmorReworker" group to filter and only build the outfits you want.
  4. If you have decided to use ArmorRefit
    1. Install synthesis -- Read this first: https://github.com/Mutagen-Modding/Synthesis/wiki/Installation
    2. Add a new patcher group
    3. Add the patcher to the group it can be found in the mod at SynthesisPatcher\shortstack-synthesis
    4. Run the patch, enable in MO2

Configuration
The configuration file for the plugin is at skse/plugin/ShortStack-NG.ini. Here are the available options:

• ESPName This is the name of the mod's esp file where the keywords are found
  • RaceKeyword This is the keyword that is used to identify a short race
  • DirectoryPrefix This is the prefix for meshes that will be replaced
  • EnableRefitPenalty This controls if a penalty is applied when ill fitting armor is worn (requires ArmorRefit Synthesis Patch above)
  • ApplySLSInequality This will automatically apply the Inequality spell if Sexlab Survival is installed
  • ModifiedArmorKeyword This is the keyword that determines if an armor is refitted for shortraces (only used if EnableRefitPenalty is true)
  • ArmorPenaltySpell This is the editor ID of the spell to apply on ill fitting armor (only used if EnableRefitPenalty is true)
  • GlovesPenaltySpell This is the editor ID of the spell to apply on ill fitting gloves (only used if EnableRefitPenalty is true)
  • BootsPenaltySpell This is the editor ID of the spell to apply on ill fitting boots (only used if EnableRefitPenalty is true)

Armor Reworker
Armor reworker is a Python GUI application that replaces the IAS Manager from the previous iteration of this mod.  Its primary function is to find all bodyslide files, and then make a copy of them with a new name, and a new output location, specified by the prefix.  This prefix MUST be the same in the plugin's ini file, and I honestly would recommend not changing it, since that is untested.
This process can take a LONG time depending on the speed of your computer, the amount of bodyslide files you have, and other factors.

If you need to run it again, be sure to watch out for files from previous runs, as they will get double prefixed. This is why I recommend keeping the output in a separate mod directory for MO2, so you can easily disable it in the future.

Technical/Skill Limitations and Quirks

• The synthesis patch is the only workaround I have right now to have different effects. I feel like there should be a way to make SKSE do this and save the modifications to a JContainers or persistent data store.  If I get it figured out, then we no longer need the synthesis patch.
  • Right now the easiest way to filter the crafting window is to only show worn armors, there are probably other ways, but for now this is the way it is.
  • I don't have a good way yet to re-equip the newly crafted armor.  I have some ideas for another SKSE hook, I just haven't worked it all out yet.

TODO/Improvements

• Tune penalties for armor a little bit, I just picked some numbers
  • Better filtering for Armor Reworker (millions of checkboxes suck)
  • A useful utility to pick and choose which armors can replace others (long term goal)
  • Alternate Start
  • Special gameplay to make the playthrough feel different
  • Better documentation
  • Easier Installation

Credits
MorePrinniesDood, etc - For the original work and idea
goampuja - For the ears https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/99528
Authors of Demoniac Textures https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/19355
factoryclose - For BHUNP https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/31126
Ousnius and Caliente - For BodySlide https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/201
CharmedByron - For CommonLibSSE https://github.com/CharmedBaryon/CommonLibSSE-NG
PowerofThree - For papyrus extender and other stuff https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22854
Everyone in the modding community for their efforts

Edited by TerribleUserName
new info in todo

thanks for putting this up. i have a preset i made before you released this where i made a gobby-kin character i plan to release at some point and it was based on the orc race. so it took me a couple days of sculpting and shifting and smoothing to get it done right. i still tweak it some.  but this is what she looks like now. 

Kinda wishing i had this mod before i did all this work but i'm still happy with her :Pimage.png.309da934787f0c39984ab910e5cba2c0.png

what i did was i built the core face on a breton. then i ported it over onto the hph head orc and i used the racemenu sliders to move and shift the teeth. then i'd make a sculpt of where it was at. then i'd move the teeth slider back. then use the created sculpt to move the teeth without using the slider. then used the sliders again to  move the teeth. and kept that cycle up until the teeth were in position. the rest was sculpting. shaping and tweaking. it took me a bit to figure that trick out though. the jaw still protrudes a tad but it's not so much  that it seems out of place. i am currently in the works of making a quest storyline for her but kind of on the fence in regards to voicing and such

24 minutes ago, TerribleUserName said:

Its like you read my mind, I was trying to get those little fangs. Was this just racemenu sculpting to get it right?

Just figured I'd give a head's up- if you use Vortex there's a file called "managed by vortex" or something like that in the Slider file. You have to move it out of there before iAS will work correctly- you can put it back in. I was losing my mind. But thank you so much for this! I've been wanting to play as a cute little mama goblin and I finally can. 

6 hours ago, IceErines said:

Just figured I'd give a head's up- if you use Vortex there's a file called "managed by vortex" or something like that in the Slider file. You have to move it out of there before iAS will work correctly- you can put it back in.

Yeah iAS seems to work really well, but it does seem fragile in some cases. 

In a recent update I added a file: ShortstackPackUncensored-SEMod\meshes\actors\character\facegenmorphs\Expressive Facegen Morphs.esl

This was the only way I could get EFM to work with these new races.  If someone knows a better way, or maybe I just missed something that RaceCompatability is supposed to do, let me know.  This file is overwriting if you have EFM, so it could prevent EFM on other custom races, maybe?  Or you could just open it up and make your own edits as needed, I suppose.

My next round of updates I will be getting the default presets working for races, so they don't default to looking like trash.

Also, in the newest screenshot, I was using Orcodontist: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/66156?tab=description  for the teeth, just FYI.

1 hour ago, giammy1109 said:

Sorry, I can't seem to make the mod work, the races do not appear in the racemenu, maybe I am just dumb, can somebody help me. Thanks in advance 

I have no idea what would cause that.  You might want to make sure you have RaceCompatability, USMP, USSEP.  If you are using MO2, it will show a little red sign next to the mod if you are missing dependencies.  Are you trying with a new game?

1 hour ago, TerribleUserName said:

I have no idea what would cause that.  You might want to make sure you have RaceCompatability, USMP, USSEP.  If you are using MO2, it will show a little red sign next to the mod if you are missing dependencies.  Are you trying with a new game?

Thanks for the fast reply, I checked again the mod compatibility and found that the mod manager ( I am using vortex) didn't activate the plug in  no idea why. Thanks a lot for the mod btw :)

48 minutes ago, venomr said:

I'm using version 1.0.3 and the Goblin race teeth seem to be in front of the mouth instead of in the mouth. Is there a step I'm missing on my end that pushes the teeth back into the mouth?

That is the way it is for now (until I get some default presets made).  What you can do in the meantime is load the included head in the 'Sculpt' section of Racemenu, and then load the included preset. 

Alternatively, you can mess around with the sculpt and the sliders to move the teeth back, or even deflate the mesh enough that it doesn't show.

I am still thinking of alternate solutions as well.  I think if I get the head loaded in Blender I can probably fix it permanently, but I probably won't have time for that for the next few days.

So I've been playing with the mouth with teeth, and really cant get a good out-of-the-box solution to the problem.  I am thinking in the next release I will go back to the regular mouth.  Also there is a bug in the mod that is causing goblins to not get detected correctly in RaceCompatability as a result of yesterday's update.  The next release will contain this fix.

Next up is creating some new presets for the other races, if anyone has a request for what they might want to see next, let me know.  I'd like to get atleast 1 preset for each race.

Lastly, not sure where to take this mod next, open to suggestions as I feel like there's more to do here.

I'm having some issues getting my body to work- I'm wondering if this possibly has a conflict with OBody? Piggybacking off of that- is it necessary to create the iAS files? I figure I can make my own bodyslide with OBody (I use 3BA- not sure if that's relevant) if not. 

Also another random question- what race is this built off of? I want to use the racial dialogue mod that lets others recognize my character as a specific race and didn't know how to see in the CK (I see the morphs but is that the area?). 

Sorry for all of the questions! I really appreciate what you're doing here, friend. 

I haven't used OBody yet, so I can't really speak to how it works, but it is entirely possible that it might mess with how things are being handled by iAS.  iAS is only needed if you want to use a different set of bodyslides for them.  Does OBody have a way to exempt the player? (again, never used it don't know how it works)  IAS isn't a hard requirement for the races to function, so if you don't need it for any other race or mod, just make sure that its not enabled/installed.  This mod only includes an .ini file that is read by iAS to function, so without iAS.dll, nothing will change or happen.

So the face and such is based on the Breton  morph, I believe.  But how RaceCompatability works it adds a keyword called ActorProxyRace which is what race the game treats the character as.  This is currently set to the following:

• Gnomes are Nord
  • Goblins are Orc
  • DeepGnomes are DarkElf
  • Kobolds are Argonian
  • Nixie are Woodelf

So you will need to edit the keywords to change this.  Alternatively, it should be pretty quick to load up this mod in SSEEdit (xedit) and change the keywords, if you cant find it in the CK.

Feedback is great, it lets me know where I need to make better docs, and also where I can improve compatability with other people's games. Thanks!

Adding some more info, that might be relevant in troubleshooting.

iAS is really just a mechanism to detect certain races, and then rewrite the mesh path to a new .nif at runtime in the game.  Building the iAS presets and meshes is what populates those files for iAS to use.  The reason we use iAS Manager is the .osp file that BodySlide uses contains a path to the mesh for output.

For example lets say you have some boots with a bodyslide that outputs to armor/steel/boots.nif.  What iAS manager does is it makes a copy of the relevant .osp file, and rewrites that output path (in the case of this mod) to shortstack/armor/steel/boots.nif.  So when you run bodyslide with that preset and armor you get a new file that has different slider weights attached to it.   In game, iAS reads the ini file, and sees that if GnomeRace equips those boots, then change the mesh path to the shortstack prefixed version.

Where this comes in handy, is lets say I have two vanilla replacers that both output to meshes/steel/boots.nif, I can build one set for the NPCs and their preset, and my player can have the more revealing one.  Ideally, I'd like my character to have armor and clothes that carry a more 'handmade by a goblin' look as opposed to the NPCs, despite both equipping the same item.

If you wanted to use iAS but without iAS Manager, you would need to build _everything_ and then manually move all of its meshes output into a prefixed directory.  This has potential to miss things, based on your mod manager and personal diligence.

So I am able to see the races in Racemenu but when I got to select the race and make a character I am only getting a floating head and no body.

I'm really confused if the preset body that is included needs to be build in Bodyslide or if it is supposed to appear by default. I tried building the Shortstack preset for default races and copying the .nif files to the races folder.

9 hours ago, joeblah said:

So I am able to see the races in Racemenu but when I got to select the race and make a character I am only getting a floating head and no body.

I'm really confused if the preset body that is included needs to be build in Bodyslide or if it is supposed to appear by default. I tried building the Shortstack preset for default races and copying the .nif files to the races folder.

For this specific problem:
So yes, you are missing the nifs that are needed.  They should be in "meshes\shortstack\actors\character\character assets".   As part of the bodyslide process when you use iASManager to build presets, these should be created.  If you are not going the route of iAS, then you will need to populate all of the necessary nifs here.  These are the usual suspects, body, hands, 1stperson body, feet, etc. See the attached image for what you need to have in this directory (there might be others, ymmv).  You can copy these from whatever your regular nifs are in "meshes\actors\character\character assets".

bodyparts.PNG

I didn't want to include any bodies by default, due to the fact that everyone has their own and this way it remains a customizable feature.  The preset included is mostly a guide for "put your own preset in this file before you build bodyslide".  All of my armors etc are BHUNP, which isn't as common as CBBE and variants. So rather than being inundated with request for different body support, I left it as a "some assembly required".

Edit:  Since iASManager scans everything, if for example you are using BHUNP, but some mod left some old CBBE bodyslides laying around, those might get picked up by iASManager and end up where you don't want them.  If you think this is the case, edit the file that is in "CalienteTools\BodySlide\SliderGroups\"  it should be called something like: "[iAS] - shortstack_12_02_2022_0_00_00.xml". Here you can remove lines that correspond to the unwanted armors.

For anyone else:
If you are going to use iAS, when you open bodyslide be sure it looks alot like the second attached image.  The group in the filter MUST be that name.  The preset MUST be that name.  Lastly, the output directory MUST have the shortstack prefix.  If they aren't the names in the screenshot then either you have missed a step, or selected the wrong thing, or you have decided to forge your own path.   The group definition is an XML file that you can add/remove other groups to as well, if you think you are missing something, make sure that iASManager made a new .osp for it.

bodyslide.PNG

1 hour ago, fgambit said:

What version SKSE are you running? I've managed to get the new races to show up in game but all outfits are invisible and the iAS plugin seemingly isnt working at all.

I am running SE 1.5.97 with SKSE 2.0.20.  You can also look for a log file C:\Users\<yourusername>\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE\iAS.log.  This will display some debug info about the plugin when it runs.  You can actually search for the armor in question (if you know the nif name) and see if it is getting a replacer.  There will be a group of text like this:

[debug][ArmorSwap] add arma swap (0010E2DB to FF0015D1)
    model[0][0] = "Clothes\MageApprentice\MageApprenticeBoots_1.nif"
    model[0][1] = "shortstack\Clothes\MageApprentice\MageApprenticeBootsF_1.nif"
    model[1][0] = ""
    model[1][1] = ""
    race[01]   = F1000854 ("_SSPGnomeRace")
    race[03]   = F1000855 ("_SSPGnomeRaceVampire")
    race[05]   = F1000856 ("_SSPGoblinRace")
    race[07]   = F1000857 ("_SSPGoblinRaceVampire")
    race[09]   = F1000858 ("_SSPDeepGnomeRace")
    race[11]   = F1000859 ("_SSPDeepGnomeRaceVampire")
    race[13]   = F100085A ("_SSPKoboldRace")
    race[15]   = F100085B ("_SSPKoboldRaceVampire")
    race[17]   = F100085C ("_SSPNixieRace")
    race[19]   = F100085D ("_SSPNixieRaceVampire")

Here we can see that all refs for MageApprenticeBoots_1.nif are being redirected to the shortstack prefixed version, for the races listed.

Is it invisible outfits for all of the races, or just a few?

Missing nifs seem like it would be missing bodyslide outputs.  One way to possibly debug this would be to turn off iAS (disable in MO2, or whatever), and equip something in game.  Without iAS, you should get the same armor/body that every other NPC in your game uses.

1 hour ago, TerribleUserName said:

I am running SE 1.5.97 with SKSE 2.0.20. 

Ah, thats why. Theres no iAS support for later versions. I'm on 1.6.353/SKSE 2.1.5 Might wanna let others know just in case they think it will work on later versions.

This is a bust for me but I have another(more labor intensive) idea.

Manually adding the outfits I want to work via Creation Kit. On a positive note, I created a preset for a little Shortstack goblin to test the mod and its motivating me to come up with other plans.

image.thumb.png.df6a58fa98249dec0f91a53da85b1c95.png

I'll keep in touch.

Update: Started using the Shortstack race and architecture to put goblins all around Skyrim.  Some are wenches, some are slaves and some are raiders.

My goal is to eventually install all of the races in key spots. Gnome blacksmiths and artificers. Deep gnome miners in caves. Even some nymphs in the water just swimming around and hanging out. Maybe create a faction dedicated to short people. 

Thanks again for this mod. It's opened up a lot of possibilities. ?

22 hours ago, fgambit said:

Update: Started using the Shortstack race and architecture to put goblins all around Skyrim.  Some are wenches, some are slaves and some are raiders.

My goal is to eventually install all of the races in key spots. Gnome blacksmiths and artificers. Deep gnome miners in caves. Even some nymphs in the water just swimming around and hanging out. Maybe create a faction dedicated to short people. 

Thanks again for this mod. It's opened up a lot of possibilities. ?

Awesome!  My goblin-bard playthrough is going well, but I definitely would like to see some other short-races scattered around.

I was thinking this week if I get time I would give the Nixie race some attention.  Theres a handful of aquatic-type ears out there, like this: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/68816 That would make them more than just a light green breton.  Getting ears builtin to the race, rather than relying on third party mods, or racemenu sliders would be a nice to have I think.

If you have high poly heads, you should be able to use the 'Face Part' slider in racemenu.  I tried to get them to default use high poly head, but it resulted in removed a bunch of the face sliders.  So if anyone knows a better way to default them to use highpoly head, that would be great.  Also, if you save off your sculpt of your preset, it gets saved as a high poly model.

Also, found this, but havent had time to try it yet:
https://github.com/EzioTheDeadPoet/HighPolyHead-RaceMenuPatcher

Extra Edit:
Looks like I got it working with HighPolyHeads.  I'll post an update in a bit with them added.

Extra Extra Edit:
Going to do some work on Nixies and DeepGnomes.  Probably uploading today.