4to3 conversion) How to fix vertex weight of sleeve

On 10/5/2022 at 10:29 AM, CHboom! said:

https://yaya-maya-sims.tumblr.com/post/633589512682995712/mayaninja-body13-swatches-pants3-swatches

I'm trying to convert ts4 clothes with long, large sleeves. I used Mesh tool kit for bone assignment, but sleeve part is spoiled by unwanted vertex weight. Is there easy way to fix it????

attachment includes blnd file, sims3pack, and package.

Not trying to discourage, rather to be realistic... Quick answer, to easy way, is no... never with a foreign custom mesh does there ever appear to be anything easy. 

Do you have TS4, to look at that outfit in game and see how it moves? I do not. Also, when I convert TS4 to TS3, possibly similar to what you did, I can only extract the geom from TS4 package, using s4pe, then convert to .obj in S4CASTools. So, I cannot see what the original bone weights look like either.

I also looked for anything with similar sleeves in TS3, without success, to compare weights. To me, the length of the sleeve bell is a problem, as I am not sure which bones to assign to something like that, which will give it flow. Perhaps hand bones.

Custom meshes are much try and error for me, especially bone weights. I will look at your .blend to see what I can. One thing you can try whenever there are overlapping parts, is to cut them off and transfer weights separately, then put the mesh back together... then make adjustments. So, try separating the arms from the garment and export as object. That will clean the bones. Then separate arms from your donor mesh. Be sure you include parts into the shoulder and armpit, so it is a little more than what you need, but no extra bones from torso or legs. Export that as geom. In MTK, convert the sleeves to geom. Then use geom bone transfer to transfer the arms only bones to the sleeves. Now, import the new sleeves and attach to your body mesh.

I will take a look when I have some time, but that is where I would start.

Took a look. As I thought, just setting as arm bones will not work, as those sleeves simply move and criss-cross, and will not hang as down as you probably want. They would need to be anchored to the legs, but the ratio of weighting is the next problem... if even that will work. JoshQ showed me how to attach the EA rig to a mesh to check mesh movement. I will make a small tutorial on how to do that, and hopefully post it tomorrow. 

I will take another look at attaching leg bone weighting a bit later, or tomorrow.

Sorry to say, but I am not able to find a combination of bone weights to accomplish what I imagine you hope to do. I have never tried such sleeves, and without seeing both mesh in game and original weights from TS4, I cannot duplicate them. Again, I have never seen such sleeves used in TS3, except one medieval style that I am not able to find now, and that gown had narrower, shorter sleeves that were rotated to the back.

Anyway, what Josh showed me regarding attaching the rig to a mesh, and moving the mesh to see how bone weights look in motion...

Import mesh. Import au rig. Click mesh. Hold shift and click rig. Top tab, Object> Parent> Armature deform..

728438193_Screenshot(94).png.8a726b270382dd8a49ea498619683c48.png

The EA armature will now move the mesh. Perhaps not exact, but very close to in game motion.