Neck, Waist and Ankle Seam Fix using Meshing Tool Kit, or Blender

This is a tutorial about fixing MOST standard seams in Sims 3 meshes at the neck, waist and ankles using Cmar's Meshing Tool Kit, or Blender 2.80.

I do not use Milkshape at all, and will not be covering it. I know there are plugins for MS and that seams can be fixed using that program. If you prefer MS, you will have to look for the information on using it.

Tools: Meshing Tool Kit

Blender 2.80

Smug Tomato's Blender Tools

TSRW (just to show images)

So, we have all seen a really nice piece of CC, downloaded it, put it our games, and see this...

378988823_badseam1.PNG.5d7f7bc5ad010ed4008963beabb282cb.PNG2025448932_badseam2.PNG.33a805ace26fb953a2b74fbdfdbcecd3.PNG

Bad seams!!!

I am only doing EA strapless bra as example, but it is same for bottoms and seams at the ankles and waist.

I made this mistake on my first pieces from simply not knowing. JoshQ pointed this out to me, and eventually I was fortunate to find ways to fix the seams without MS. Others just do not seem to care about bad seams, but if you do, continue reading...

The current version of Cmar's Meshing Tool Kit has 2 options for fixing mesh seams. The program matches both bone weight and normals at the seam, based on an EA standard mesh. If your mesh seams deviate from EA standard, the tool may not work.

Option 1 is to fix the seams as a geom, before converting to .wso.

1547737615_geomfix.PNG.78b88849b55b00258868294e9daddf97.PNG

Option 2 is to convert to .wso, and use the seam fix tool for .wso.

860049346_wsofix.PNG.f922667caf64c823d12d0e6947c5c28b.PNG

Either way does the job.

fixed.PNG.3d9ec8a80a44ecaf12f5157ace7ec27a.PNG1626974806_fixed2.PNG.1de6e9a16c5328eb5e09975d7530e25a.PNG

Smug Tomato's Blender tools also have a seam fixer, that works basically the same as the tools in MTK, only during geom export from Blender.

1377066068_blenderexport.PNG.4104bfa82f19bc710f7c62df4ec8b291.PNG

I have never bothered to ask Cmar, but I find that I get errors when using MTK seam fixer for teen female, so Blender export with Smug's tools is the only way I can do tf seams. The tool has options for toddler thru elder, male and female, and LODs 1, 2 and 3. I have not personally used all modes.

That's it! Repackage that CC with TSRW and enjoy it without those ugly seams!

Note: No tool will fix seams if you try to use an adult body for a teen. The position of vertices at neck, waist and ankles are different. Same for elder... different vertices positions.

Note: There are several other tools in MTK that appear to match bones and normals (fix seams), as well as do many other things in MTK, but I am still experimenting with them.

Edited by TheLadysGhost

A follow up to fixing seams. As I mentioned, you may sometimes come across CC that someone made, it looks good in their screenshots, but when you put that piece in your game, all you see are ugly seams. Often, you can see the seams in the screenshots, if you look for them.

When I find time, I plan to also show how to repackage that CC, with your fixed seams, so you can enjoy it in your game.

Please, never reupload your fixed CC and claim as yours!!! ?

Note: I do not currently have plans to do a tutorial on fixing exploding morphs, as that takes a lot of time that I do not have right now... but, it can be done, and requires a bit of meshing knowledge, somewhat above novice understanding of tools used, as well as "practice and patience"!