I need help delaying lines of idle chatter being said

I need help figuring out how to delay lines of idle chatter being said by my companion. I just recently found out how to get them to say their lines by using coding in the script for GECK, but I now face the problem of them saying their lines way too much. They go through them every couple of seconds or so and I'm not sure exactly what to do to fix this. Can anyone help me fix the coding to get them not to say their lines as much?

Screenshot 2022-07-01 053702.png

Screenshot 2022-07-01 053939.png

6 hours ago, WolffangKiller1 said:

I need help figuring out how to delay lines of idle chatter being said by my companion. I just recently found out how to get them to say their lines by using coding in the script for GECK, but I now face the problem of them saying their lines way too much. They go through them every couple of seconds or so and I'm not sure exactly what to do to fix this. Can anyone help me fix the coding to get them not to say their lines as much?

Screenshot 2022-07-01 053702.png

It's a Quest script, so you can reduce the frequency raising the Script Delay in the Quest tab

But the script has 3 endif instead of 2. EDIT: my bad, you called CompanionREF your companion.

Edited by A.J.

Okay but the problem with that is both the idle chatter and the regular companion lines for ordering them around are in the same quest for said companion. They’re not separate. Wouldn’t that affect the regular dialogue as well when you try to order them around? I’m just worried about messing everything up and breaking them is all.

As for the coding for the idle chatter I only managed to find it from the Ties that bind mod within the scripting for the dialogue. I couldn’t find it anywhere else. That’s why there’s three endif. 

EDIT: So I tried the script processing delay and it sadly did nothing. I'm still experiencing the same issue. I'm brand new to this whole coding thing and just this whole thing in general. All I'm looking for is a line of code or a condition to slow their idle chatter. That's all I'm wanting.

Edited by WolffangKiller1

The condition checking FollowerChatterPercentage against a random is different between the script and the dialogue condition. I'm not sure how the value of that global is even set, but it might be returning true far too often because of that.

Personally, I'd distrust the global, and add a variable to the quest that functions as a timer that you set in the result script of the dialogue lines, eg

set MyQuest.fTimer to 200 + GetRandomPercent

Then use some code in the quest script to count down the timer:

set fTimer to fTimer - 1

and park the sayTo command inside a condition like

if fTimer < 0

Ref.SayTo topic

endif

15 hours ago, WolffangKiller1 said:

As for the coding for the idle chatter I only managed to find it from the Ties that bind mod within the scripting for the dialogue. I couldn’t find it anywhere else. That’s why there’s three endif.

I remember that mod had several errors on scripting, most inherited because copied from another mod which had errors. Not sure if it was corrected recently but when in doubt I'd go check vanilla instead.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:55 AM, A.J. said:

I remember that mod had several errors on scripting, most inherited because copied from another mod which had errors. Not sure if it was corrected recently but when in doubt I'd go check vanilla instead.

Which scripts in vanilla do you recommend I check? I tried going through most of them but I never really found what I was looking for. I was struggling with this for weeks just to get the idle chatter alone to work. 

EDIT: I figured it out many months later. Thank you for you all who helped. I appreciate it. :)

Edited by WolffangKiller1
An update on the situation