file renaming

hello there, I have question about modding, so here is the story, few days ago I read comment on nexus that you can rename files from the mod to the one in game (clothing and outfits) and use them to replace something in game in that way you can use outfit in your game without eps or esl file but the person that posted the comment did not specify what files do you need to rename, so I understand that meshes are the model files and textures are well textures of said model but do I also need to rename materials files to that specific outfit I want to replace and also dose that method also work to make modifications for large outfit pack mods and what do I need to do, pleas understand that I am asking for personal use, I do not intend to make public mods by using other people stuff and post it somewhere, there is a lot of cool outfits mods but I don't want to install ten thousand mods so if I can rename files from one mod and replace something in game I don't like I would like to know how or edit mod pack for personal use, thank you and please don't judge me harshly, I don't know anyt other place or anyone who I can ask this, I have send that person direct massage but apparently he ignored me

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes, renaming mesh files works. Been using that method for years to replace unique outfits like the silver shroud costume. To get it to work you only need to rename the nif file and place it in the correct folder, the same folder you would place it normally. Texture and material files only need to be in data and don't need to be renamed. Only problem doing it that way your tri files won't work or won't work correctly, meaning no or no correct body morphing in looksmenu. To get around that you have to also replace the tri files and open the nif file in nifskope and edit the string so that it points towards the correct tri file.

But the better way to do this would be making your own Bodyslide-able outfit. So lets say you want to make to make your own custom Silver Shroud costume and want to use the black widow suit for it. For that I would do the following:

1. download mod

2. Drop the texture and material folder from the mod into your "Fallout4/Data" folder.

3. drop the Bodyslide data (ShapeData and SliderData) of the mod into your Bodyslide folder

4. Open OutfitStudio load new project and select the outfit you want to use (for example: Black Widow outfit)

- optional: add with add project additional things to your outfit; you can also delete shapes or modify the outfit to your liking with all the tools available in OutfitStudio

5. use the "Save Project as ..." function

- Replace "Output file name" and "Output file path" with the vanilla name and path ( in this example "Output file name" should be "SilverShroudBodyF" and "Output file path" should be "Meshes\Clothes\SilverShroud")

- you probably also want to replace "Display name" with something like "MySilverShroudReplacer" or so. That way you can find it easier in Bodyslide. Also click the "to project" box which edits the Bodyslide file names to the Display name so it doesn't add to the existing files but creates separate ones.

- make sure you have "single weight output" marked and a checkmark in the box "copy reference shape into output"

- now hit save

6. open Bodyslide look for "MySilverShroudReplacer" or whatever you named your outfit and build it with your preset

If you did everything right your custom outfit should replace the vanilla one (in this example Silver Shroud costume for females should look like the Black Widow outfit)