So does anybody here actually look at Steam Greenlight?

I wade through the muck every month or so to see if there's actually anything worth the time, but sadly all I find are free to play games, bandwagon horror, more goddamned zombie games that makes me want to puke, tower defense and, the greatest rage pusher of all, the indie trying to cash in on pure nostalgia that wastes precious time and effort trying to recreate graphics from past generations when they could be, gods forbid, trying something new and original.

In all this time, I've found maybe 60 games worth voting for, and of them less than ten have made it through.

Pro Tip : Unless you live in russia don't buy games on steam .

Sure I check the greenlight page often (about twice to thrice a week) I have also bough a lot of the greenlit games , some of them are very good , waiting on games that have been greenlit to be released especially games like homesick .

Pro Tip : Unless you live in russian don't buy games on steam .

Sure I check the greenlight page often (about twice to thrice a week) I have also bough a lot of the greenlit games , some of them are very good , waiting on games that have been greenlit to be released especially games like homesick .

So you have bought lots of greenlit games, yet you don't recommend buying games on Steam? e.e

Pro Tip : Unless you live in russian don't buy games on steam .

What????  :dodgy:

I live in the US and use steam to buy all of my games (that are available via steam that is).  Especially during the 4 odd times a year that they slash prices.  I have picked up some really good games for $5 or less.  Beats the fuck out of paying retail pricing!

On Topic, yea, I check greenlight from time to time.  I have voted on 50 or so odd deals.  I'd browse it more but the interface is kinda clunky.

I did not make my point correctly , if you live in europe don't buy games from steam the pricing is quite unfair 1€ ≠ 1$ , I preferably buy from other sites (amazon,gog) which have one fair price for all customers .

Indeed best example this Deadpool game 40$ in the US that would be 30€ but on steam you can pay 50€. Besides of the Deals the Steam prices are far to high.

For green light, I don't look at it, probably because I am still a bit at war with Steam, I never wanted it but still have it so I spent very little time on steam sites.

I did not make my point correctly , if you live in europe don't buy games from steam the pricing is quite unfair 1€ ≠ 1$ , I preferably buy from other sites (amazon,gog) which have one fair price for all customers .

Ah, that makes sense now.  Exchange rates can indeed be a pain in the ass.

Steam Greenlight is a broken and failed system. Sure, it has a nice idea behind it: devs or publishers put their games up there and ask for the community for their support to be put onto Steam. However, Valve has shown time and time again how much of a failed system Greenlight is. Just take the recent case of Paranautical Activity. It's a prime example of this:

Skip to the third story. Starts at 11 minutes and 33 seconds:

[video=youtube]

So we have a two man indie team having their new game published by Adult Swim (already known for publishing indie titles, many of which are on Steam). The devs make a greenlight page after acquiring a publisher and what happens? Valve denies them access, on the basis that "they don't want  indie devs to think that simply getting a publisher is a way to bypass Greenlight". So then another small indie team (Team 2-Bit) makes the game Fist Punchers and gets published by Adult Swim. Sounds similar right? However Fist Punchers is somehow able to bypass Greenlight entirely and make it onto Steam despite Paranautical Activity being denied entry even though those two games are indie games developed by small teams, published by Adult Swim, and then presented to Valve. One went through Greenlight and was denied access, the other simply bypass Greenlight entirely for whatever reason and was given entry into Steam without any issues. 

Valve is seemingly making an example with Paranautical Activity to try and stop devs from bypassing the Greenlight system. Even though games do it all the time. There are tons of examples in the video I linked, go watch it if you're interested.

And then we have other strange cases. Like where some games are able to make their way onto Greenlight despite their game not even done! And I'm not talking about Beta here, I'm talking about PRE-ALPHA. Yes, there are games that have successfully gained entry through Greenlight despite not having any playable content at all yet. Take Yogventures as an example. The game currently is in a pre-alpha state. It's possible now to get a hold of the pre-alpha and play it but it's barely playable. However, during the time it was entered into the Greenlight system, even that wasn't out. And it succeeded! 

Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE Steam. It's fantastic (for the most part). But Valve is not the perfect community and indie orientated company that we all like to believe they are. The Greenlight system either has to go, or Valve needs to create a set of standards for how they allow indie games onto Steam. 

/rant

Steam didn't deny it entry , Paranautical Activity after being in the greenlight (without getting greenlit) tried to be published by adult swim but steam is fucking delusional and thought that Paranautical Activity used greenlight to get the interest of publishers .

Steam is quite the mess , no actual customer support (waiting two weeks to get a what I think was an automated reply is ridiculous.) , very unfair pricing and the annoying and unnecessary drm .

Well honestly, a lot of indies use Greenlight just to get attention for their funding campaigns, so I don't think it far fetched to assume that they could have used it simply for that. Though I don't understand how they could make the jump to just using it to get a publisher. It would be pretty crazy to just assume that there's publishers lurking Greenlight, just looking for a game to grab up.

As always, I think there is more to the story than meets the eye.  Doubtless there was some behind the scenes stuff that caused the rejection.  Or worst case, it could have been a simple misunderstanding.  Steam\Valve is at the end of the day a profit driven company and if someone can convince them there is a market for a particular game, then you can damn sure bet they are going to carry it. 

Hell, just look at all the controversy surrounding the Postal games.....and yet....you can buy them on steam.  ;)

The one greenlite deal that STILL pisses me off is this bullshit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/233250/?snr=1_7_15__13

$89 fucking dollars for an ALPHA?????  What the Unholy Bastard Fuck is this???????  It makes fuck all difference that you get the beta and final deluxe game versions.  You are doing their quality control testing and PAY for the privilege? 

I am sure I will love the game and I am also sure I won't be buying the damn thing for more than 40 to 45 bucks!

I'm not sure Planetary Annihilation was on greenlight (I could be wrong) , as for the reason it costs so much is not because the devs are delusional but the game was on kickstarter and so as the backers who supported the game before it was on steam don't feel like a stepping stone for the game to get on steam I actually like that it costs as much and to make my point for the unfair pricing that steam allows it costs 83 euros = 110 dollars .

Yes, it was on greenlight, which was how I found it several months ago.

You are right on the kickstarter deal setting the pricing.  You are also right that they are delusional.  :s

Who do they think is going to pay $89 for an alpha, that won't be a final game version until Christmas or later.....? 

I'd pay half that much for a beta version, but not a penny more.

The one greenlite deal that STILL pisses me off is this bullshit: http://store.steampowered.com/app/233250/?snr=1_7_15__13

$89 fucking dollars for an ALPHA?????  What the Unholy Bastard Fuck is this???????  It makes fuck all difference that you get the beta and final deluxe game versions.  You are doing their quality control testing and PAY for the privilege? 

I am sure I will love the game and I am also sure I won't be buying the damn thing for more than 40 to 45 bucks!

The game cost that much at the moment because during the kickstater campain the backer had to pay 89$ to gain Alpha access would be unfair for the backers to lower now the price. So for now the 89$ are ok, it will certainly drop on relase date maybe when they go into Beta. It is a bit of sad that the game gets so much negativ publicity for the 89$.

It is simply a way for the intrested who missed the kickstarter to buy them self in.

Who in their right fucking mind would pay almost 90 bucks for a goddamned game*, Kickstarter or not? It had better fucking come with a free blow job from a Japanese girl and a pizza with bacon, sausage and pepperoni on it.

* I admit, I have spent over 100 USD on a game before, but it was old, out of print and much of the cost came from finding a complete and near perfect copy.