Question About MetaData

Quite simply, do files shared on LL keep metadata from the original file? Is there any difference between a file posted on a comment or a file posted in a topic link regarding metadata stripping or retention? Do I have to worry about a homicidal stalker showing up in my bedroom at 2 AM a month after I share a file or is this an unfounded concern? As a side request, please do give me miscellaneous internet safety tips. I think I'm under the slightest anxiety episode and I just wanted some reassurance that I wouldn't be exposing anything from possibly participating in the community.

9 hours ago, JessicaHara said:

Quite simply, do files shared on LL keep metadata from the original file? Is there any difference between a file posted on a comment or a file posted in a topic link regarding metadata stripping or retention? Do I have to worry about a homicidal stalker showing up in my bedroom at 2 AM a month after I share a file or is this an unfounded concern? As a side request, please do give me miscellaneous internet safety tips. I think I'm under the slightest anxiety episode and I just wanted some reassurance that I wouldn't be exposing anything from possibly participating in the community.

There is no intrinsic metadata that is kept, for the simple reason it is not sent in the file itself that is uploaded.

But be aware of archives (zip, rar, etc.) they CAN contain some metadata inside.

There is no difference between attachments on posts or uploaded files, they are received in the same way and exactly how you are sending them.

Just to give you some extra food for thoughts:

You create a text file with notepad, you save, you uploaded it here -> no metadata whatsoever is in the text.

You create a picture with your phone and upload it as is here -> the jpg will probably have some metadata in the file itself.

You do a screenshot of something in your computer and then upload the resulting image -> no metadata because the screenshot will not add anything to the image

You zip some files -> that depends on your archive format and the tool. Some metadata can be present in the archived files. But not in the zip file itself.