Blender animation and large .kf files

I was looking into modifying the Dance Synchronizer mod by but these dance synchro .kf files can be quite large (>2 MB) and blender seems to take a really long importing them, and once imported, it's almost impossible to edit the animation because the Action Editor window becomes unresponsive.

How does one go about editing these files, and how were they done in the first place? Someone added BBB support to them so I assume it's doable...?

The animator used Bake constrain. and made really big animation with many frames. kf with more then 4mb will take forever to import there is nothing you can do to speed this up. Blender quirk.

What you can do is not use a skeleton like maximum compatibility to import from. use one who has less bones attached to it. The less bones it has the less time it takes to import.

Use the animations skeleton (skeletonmin.nif) from here: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/13516-lovers-animation-workshop-skeleton-mark-ii/

It is a stripped down version of growlf's universal skeleton with all the nonsense removed.  It will cut your load times and make animating MUCH easier.

Edit:  Oh.....you are already using the best skeleton there is for animating.  I would not bother with anything with fewer bones as it will likely not have stuff that you will need.  Nothing really is going to help you when you import a 4meg file so.........

I tried deleting bones from the minimal skeleton to the ones i only care about but it still is very very slow.

I'm wondering how the BBB animations were added to these, as well as the longer animations like estrus. It must have been in a different format maybe?

• 6 months later...

I was looking into modifying the Dance Synchronizer mod by but these dance synchro .kf files can be quite large (>2 MB) and blender seems to take a really long importing them, and once imported, it's almost impossible to edit the animation because the Action Editor window becomes unresponsive.

How does one go about editing these files, and how were they done in the first place? Someone added BBB support to them so I assume it's doable...?

I guess they use the original file (.vmd or .csv-maybe) (do not edit an existing (.kf)) and re-export with BBB in the Blender 2.49VMD ...

I've never had any luck getting really big animation files to upload into Blender.

Once I finish porting Mesh Rigger,, Seam Mender, and Clothing Converter into fully featured independent tools, I'll take a look at what can be done with kf files.

At a minimum, I might be able to create a kf slicer that splits large animation files into smaller chunks to import and then rejoins them later.  I don't really know much about animating, but I know my way around an api.  But that's a long way off, project wise.  I'm really just planning ahead.

Archived