So... the other day I read a post that suggested a change to the NVidia settings to fix a problem (not terribly important, but fwiw, it was for NPC walking speed).

Anyway, I went to the Nvidia control panel and realized that I've never really paid much attention to it

So...now the meat.

Is there a straightforward listing out there somewhere of recommended settings for NVidia control panel for Skyrim SE?

As an example, while in the control panel, I turned on image sharpening. It appears to improve my visual clarity in game, but that *could be placebo ...idk...

thanks

PS> no not asking for how to use the automatic adjustments from Nvidia's GeForce app. I'm interested in manually adjusting

Edited by anjenthedog

This may not be what you're after, BUT... personally I prefer leaving everything on default and only change the "power management mode" and "texture filtering quality" settings under the "Manage 3D Settings" tab to max performance. I never noticed a difference in quality when going for the quality preset, but I did notice higher FPS when set to performance. You'll probably get better results by using BethINI to set the quality settings to High or Ultra anyway. Imo it's better to let the mods and game settings handle the visual aspect of the game rather than the Nvidia Control Panel. 

24 minutes ago, Slick Silk said:

This may not be what you're after, BUT... personally I prefer leaving everything on default and only change the "power management mode" and "texture filtering quality" settings under the "Manage 3D Settings" tab to max performance. I never noticed a difference in quality when going for the quality preset, but I did notice higher FPS when set to performance. You'll probably get better results by using BethINI to set the quality settings to High or Ultra anyway. Imo it's better to let the mods and game settings handle the visual aspect of the game rather than the Nvidia Control Panel. 

Nope.

There's a bug where when the game launches where the control panel will attempt to enforce AA and it has to be manually cleared and saved, either as custom or default profile.

I run in ultra already. Game runs fine overall. I have at least half decent visuals, (not photographic grade, but close enough for horseshoes... High Quality cartoon anyway) game runs relatively smoothly most of the time, I have all the normal issues, occasional CTDs, sometimes some weird visual artifact or player is left inoperable, she has the gd gold skin bug right now too, but those can all be dealt with on a piecemeal basis. (restart, restart, use crafting or restart, racemenu for gold skin)

Reason I asked about the NVidia stings (settings!) is NOT that anything is "wrong" with my game, just that when I examine the settings I note that many are disabled or left to the system to decide, and I'm not sure if I'm missing out on something that I needn't miss out on. For example, image sharpening was set to OFF. And after playing for several days with it enabled, I am now positive that turning on image sharpening on *my system improves *my game (I said that in a stilted way on purpose., I realize someone else might not have the same experience as *me due to various hardware differences and/or mod choices or other skyrim config settings, or for that matter just personal preference about crisp vs soft images ). But, it's only one of many settings

I do use bethini ... well that is, I use select portions of bethini file. 

But that's why I'm  hoping for some breakdown, a list, something like the skyrim console command layout at various sites. a brief explanation with each setting name ***from a skyrim perspective

thanks for the replies

Edited by anjenthedog

If your game runs fine then you actually have no reason to change anything, unless you want to change a specific setting. 

Your occasional ctds had to do with mods. 

My settings are mostly default, except for Latency set to Ultra

Max performance 

Texture filter high quality 

Anisotropic x16

Vsync let app decide (because i use sse display tweaks) 

My other settings, things like max frame rate and pre render and vsync are all set up in SSE display tweaks configuration. 

Imagine sharpness should be fine to mess around with. Not sure how it can improve performance, but i might try and test it out.

You can also try SSE display tweaks mod. It can significantly increase performance with the right settings. 

To find the explanation for each setting, you can just google it. 

You can also check out this site wich explains various settings for the ini files. 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide/

Note it's for Fallout 4, but most if not all is and can be used in Skyrim. 

Edited by airnox
3 hours ago, airnox said:

If your game runs fine then you actually have no reason to change anything, unless you want to change a specific setting. 

Your occasional ctds had to do with mods. 

My settings are mostly default, except for Latency set to Ultra

Max performance 

Texture filter high quality 

Anisotropic x16

Vsync let app decide (because i use sse display tweaks) 

My other settings, things like max frame rate and pre render and vsync are all set up in SSE display tweaks configuration. 

Imagine sharpness should be fine to mess around with. Not sure how it can improve performance, but i might try and test it out.

You can also try SSE display tweaks mod. It can significantly increase performance with the right settings. 

To find the explanation for each setting, you can just google it. 

You can also check out this site wich explains various settings for the ini files. 

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/fallout-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide/

Note it's for Fallout 4, but most if not all is and can be used in Skyrim. 

Yeah I know (point A)  I tried to make that clear but apparently didn't do as well as I hoped. (game runs fine overall)

Yeah I know (point B) I tried to make this clear but apparently didn't do as well as I'd hoped. (ctds, infrequent and I deal with them with a healthy dose of stoicism and prep - save often, cry less, but when you crash and cry, wipe tears and git on with it)

thanks for the listing of what you use. I'll give a looksee and experiment, since your use indicates they have some effect and might improve my game (performance, per say isn't the whole picture, also visuals... or whatever improvements... basically, make the game "Better") 

I also intend to leave V-Sync well enough alone (let app decide). Had issues early on with that setting and I'm fine leaving it be

the max perf is one I was interested in as mine is not currently set for max perf. That others are altering it, encourages me to try it myself. since it's not quite as blind an experiment. ('I used to be the techno-pioneer type. But tbh, after literal decades of being that person, I'm dead tired of it to the point of burnout)

FTR, setting Image sharpness on seems to do away with some of the ?gaussian" blur used to smooth images. Not so evident at large scale (ie landscapes)  but close in details *seem to pop more.

And thank you very much for the link to the fallout guide. Doesn't appear to cover my card (1060SC 6G), but I'll see what I can learn from it.

PS> It's not the NVidia technical description of what each does that confuses me, I've seen Nvidia's descriptors, it's the specific relation of them to Skyrim or correlation in terms of Skyrim that I'm unsure of

thanks for the reply.

Edited by anjenthedog
3 hours ago, anjenthedog said:

Yeah I know (point A)  I tried to make that clear but apparently didn't do as well as I hoped. (game runs fine overall)

Yeah I know (point B) I tried to make this clear but apparently didn't do as well as I'd hoped. (ctds, infrequent and I deal with them with a healthy dose of stoicism and prep - save often, cry less, but when you crash and cry, wipe tears and git on with it)

thanks for the listing of what you use. I'll give a looksee and experiment, since your use indicates they have some effect and might improve my game (performance, per say isn't the whole picture, also visuals... or whatever improvements... basically, make the game "Better") 

I also intend to leave V-Sync well enough alone (let app decide). Had issues early on with that setting and I'm fine leaving it be

the max perf is one I was interested in as mine is not currently set for max perf. That others are altering it, encourages me to try it myself. since it's not quite as blind an experiment. ('I used to be the techno-pioneer type. But tbh, after literal decades of being that person, I'm dead tired of it to the point of burnout)

FTR, setting Image sharpness on seems to do away with some of the ?gaussian" blur used to smooth images. Not so evident at large scale (ie landscapes)  but close in details *seem to pop more.

And thank you very much for the link to the fallout guide. Doesn't appear to cover my card (1060SC 6G), but I'll see what I can learn from it.

PS> It's not the NVidia technical description of what each does that confuses me, I've seen Nvidia's descriptors, it's the specific relation of them to Skyrim or correlation in terms of Skyrim that I'm unsure of

thanks for the reply.

Np. Here some more links you can read. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-control-panel-a-beginners-guide/

Explains most nvidia settings

https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nv3d/Manage_3D_Settings_(reference).htm

Same. Explains the settings.

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/Guide:NVIDIA_Inspector#Texture_Filtering

Has some usefull information about screen, display and textures you can play and test around with. 

https://stepmodifications.org/wiki/SkyrimSE:Display_Settings#Latency_settings

About display, but you should check out the mod SSE display tweaks: 

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/34705

Edited by airnox

@anjenthedog

if you think you have settings failure i will not stop you from reading ( it is always valuable knowledge )  .   but i would insiste on what say your guts ( your deep feeling before a cdt or a sigh of it in preparation .  

test your computer  from memory to any  hardware in your pc do not hesitate even on changing cables to check them .

you know as me that SE is instable fake 64 bit  but it operates for users on uttra high standard settings without problem . 

just a link for some performance test  How to Test your Video Card Performance (techwalla.com)

Edited by coolfreaky
1 hour ago, coolfreaky said:

if you think you have settings failure

Thanks for your reply... But with all due respect, I think you completely missed the intent of my query. I already tried as hard as I could to note that although I get issues, they're resolvable with little effort, and that my reason for wanting info on Skyrim-specific Nvidia settings is simply a matter of potential augmentation, that is, "can I make it even better than it already is?". Unfortunately whether due to ESL and translation utilities or some other issue, you didn't understand me.

Spoiler

ScreenShot633.png.219896c04da34d59fc19ea991a49f275.png

To be as clear as I can be, I'm not terribly concerned by the small number of CTDs I experience.  I know the general reasons they occur and I know  how to deal with them when they happen. I *am* however concerned that I might be able to have a better experience (visuals, improved FPS,, etc) overall if I were to adjust settings for the video card and that in not doing so, I am cheating myself a more enriching environment. (like the fact that image sharpening was disabled for over two years,  until just  a ~week ago.

thanks again for your response.  Maybe someone else will get something out of your post. 

Edited by anjenthedog