TK17 VX on Windows ARM (MacBook Pro M1)

Exonico

Hello guys

I have tried to run TK 17 VX on Windows ARM (MacBook Pro M1 actually) with 2 different methods :

- with CrossOver on MacOS

- through Win 11 ARM on Parallels Desktop VM

I have same issue with both methods : The launcher is ok but the game fails to start with the following Error message : "Error executing Tk17-158.001.exe"

I was wondering if anyone has the same setup as mine and had more luck ?

Thanks a lot

PS : Sorry I posted in the wrong section. I guess it should go to help one.

Edited by Exonico

There are a few KE members who are running TK17 on a Mac all are using Parallels.  That said not sure how or what their setup is, but best you send them a personal message. Not sure if they are on LoversLab though.

For starters make sure you are doing a portable install just to simplify things on that end.  Once you have things installed and updated run it in OpenGl mode to ensure the game will work with vanilla graphics. The game should work in OpenGL on pretty much anything.

If the above works, and you are trying to run Hook5, next go through that setup.  Logs are always helpful to see what errors you are actually getting as it may point you in the right direction, so post those too.

Thanks for your post hdiddy.

I have installed it indeed with portable version and tried OpenGL as well. But no luck.

I don't think this is due to Parallel since it was working fine with my former mac Intel. I guess this is more due to ARM version of Windows since new Mac is ARM based.

Even though Win 10 and Win 11 ARM both are coming with a transcomilateur that translates ARM instructions into x86 Intel ones.

running x86 applications on arm with emulation is about 10x slower then running them on an eqivalent x86 CPU. That being said it should be possible with microsofts native x86 emulator. Some settings regarding this are described here.

maybe u will have to make a stand alone installation of windows with bootcamp, as i susspect this feature will not be available under parallels or other virtualization software.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/apps-on-arm-program-compat-troubleshooter

Edited by IIIlll
  • 2 months later...

I actually built this back when the app was first cracked, in response to a challenge from a user online.  The architectures for processing are a lot different on the M1 chip than on an x86 or x64-86 capable processor.  I ran into similar issues, checked logging etc.  Eventually, I came to a realization.  I couldn't "Patch" the app or install it from within wine or crossover.  I was using wine back before crossover was being sold, and it had naming of rocks or animals for the version.  I found two major issues.  First, you cannot run a reshade or hook version in wine.  This is because it cannot run directx natively.  It can only run the OPENGL compatible code within directx, and because of this, you will never get directx versions of the software to run.  I tried this on parallels and other emulators as well, the problem persisted because it required exclusive access to a video card.  It might work today if you have an external hooked by thunderbolt with a pci based card installed, and the emulator and the system running using that card with a screen attached.  However, it will need a quad core system to run the current version.  It cannot run at all on a dual core emulation.  Back then, it ran ok on a single core, but eventually quit when the version updated to 7.3.x of the builds.

Another problem you have is memory access.  You need to be able to access enough memory and cache space at a fast enough speed.  This is not possible with the latest version running on a 32bit system with more than a few models, a couple of rooms and almost no mods at all.

Try this:

Because you need to patch the game for x64 and larger memory space using the latest method that doesn't limit you to 4gb, but opens it up for 4gb+ from the system, and up to 4gb from the video card, you'll want to install it using emulation first, as a portable install, which will store the registry values for the install in a file in the main folders of the application; then you'll patch it using the options manager and the new method, and then copy the folder to your wine\crossover container, check the reg file and update it for the location in the container.  You'll also need to run it in opengl mode after this, which precludes running hook or reshade.  This game was built on the AMD\INTEL instruction set for processing, so you'll have to install a workaround that allows your M1 to run that architecture.  New WINE builds have an emulated architecture passthrough.  Once it is installed into the container, set your win version to 7 or 10.  8 will not work well, as it used the vista kernel rather than the xp\NT kernel.  7 and 10 both use the original Kernel built for new processing architecture.  Vista had an incomplete set of command structures, and it was heavily error prone.  Many of the structures have been rebuilt or redone on the current kernel.  Vista was originally supposed to transition to touch-based interfaces, but it's error-prone nature made it an undesirable system to build on.  Microsoft tried again with windows 8, then replaced the kernel with an NT\XP based one in 8.1, with most of the commands redone or rebuilt for that kernel, and others running from an emulation of the Vista\Touch kernel.  Memory access is faster and less error prone in 7 and 10.

Once you have the game running, try it with directx.  When it fails, remember, directx is a microsoft technology.  It makes use of system and architecture tools to clean up memory leaks, and clean house so that it uses less memory overall than opengl.  Much of the drawing system carries more accurate calculation as well, which allows for tighter edge detail.  I tried installing a directx architecture into the container 2 ways, both bawked.  You can try installing the directx architecture directly which will put the files into the system folders of the container.  This didn't work well, and you'll need all directx from 8 through current to test.  You can use any of the files of directx and put them into the main (binaries) folder of TK17, and you'll have to rename the file to the directx 8 name, or the 9.  You may get a better result than I did, but I was on one of the first dual core macs built with intel, you'll have something arguably more powerful.

Lastly, you may need to install graphics drivers into the container to have it access your graphics card properly.  Otherwise, you'll be playing with a limited VOODOO emulation architecture that probably won't speak the language your gfx card does, which will put gfx processing on your M1, which will most certainly fail (no direct architecture compatibility).

• 7 months later...
19.11.2021 в 16:47 Экзонико сказал:

Спасибо за совет.

У меня нет Bootcamp на Mac M1. Тем не менее, инструмент доступен на Parallells.

Но ни один из предложенных вариантов не сработал неудачно.

Hi! If it's still relevant for you, then I found a working version of the game for m1 via parallels.