Broken Save?

Does better cities move any doors? Keep in mind' date=' door locations are saved in your savegame, so disabling such mods can have bad results. One of the main reasons I haven't tried better cities, apart from all the compatability issues it can cause.

[/quote']

I believe it does, but I don't see how that could be the problem. There's been multiple times I've had to disable Better Cities to get to a certain item from a mod or something, and my saves would load fine.

I'm not expecting this save to work again, but I've found a few mods that might help it to work long enough for a REAL clean save. If not, they'll at least boost my performance, hopefully enough so that I can use Open Better Cities without major stuttering.

Keep in mind that with Better Cities the waterfront WILL stutter just a little unless you have a Godlike system. However with Streamline and OSR (Oblivion Stutter Remover) the RAM patch (3 or 4GB flavor) and Game Companion installed the game is incredibly smooth even with OBGEv2 and Qarl's texture pack installed.

After installing OSR, the RAM patch, and Optimized Distant Land MAX (was actually linked on the Better Cities page on Nexus), as well as uninstalling some omods that were just sitting there, my game's performance has noticeably increased. It's much smoother, and while Open Better Cities are still a little choppy, there's definitely an improvement.

But that's not all.

My previously problematic save WORKS!

I guess the problem with my save was simply an overload of bullshit. I assume it was due to a mix of visuals and content being too conflageraligated in the area the save was in. Whatever the case, my save works, and I don't have to start all over again.

Oh gregathit, you're always able to help me. Thanks.

I should probably check out that Club Cats mod, I've heard of it before, but never really... what's the word... eh, you get the idea.

Uh... I may have been a little quick to speak...

When I loaded the problematic save, it worked. I was able to walk into a building, where I immediately saved my data and exited. I've tried loading it recently to continue playing. The problem I had rid myself of - or thought I did - is apparently still here.

Dammit.

Take a look at this:

Untitled-1.png

All of my saves are absolutely perfect. Yet, when I load her up, all I can manage is to walk for five seconds before the screen freezes. It might be worth mentioning that the music continues to play after the screen has frozen.

Looks like I really am screwed.

Restart from the problematic save and DON'T do anything. Just let things sit for a couple of minutes and see if it crashes. If you are still running after say 2 minutes then hit escape and make a new save. After the save takes then walk around a bit and see if you crash.

Okay, here's the situation:

I did what you said and the save worked. I was able to make a clean save as well as play a little bit. But then I decided to test if it would load right. It loaded. After a few minutes. It would appear that I am going to have to wait about two minutes every time I load this save. Naturally, this is rather annoying. I don't even know what the stability is like for the save, but bad stability mixed with long load times may lead to rather high degrees of fuck-this-shit. If I can't get this fixed, I'm starting over. But I suppose that's okay, because I'll be able to get a fresh start with the mods I have installed - I created Lily before installing Supreme Magicka and Less Annoying Magic Experience. But all of that Thieves Guild work, down the drain...

I hear ya on that. I lost a fairly high level save myself when upgrading several major mods (better cities and several others), it pissed me off enough that I just consoled completed the fighters guild quests and my stats back to where I was.

Well play around with your save as who know maybe after the last clean save you'll be alright. :)

Considering all the kind of high tech stuff that was developed around oblivion (OBGE, OBSE, wrye, and such), I'm surprised that no one managed to create a utility that can copy all the relevant static info (stats, guild stage, inventory, factions, dispositions vs npc etc.) from a save to another. Anyway, there are crude ways to achieve this, but they aren't without risks.

Some tips to console yourself through the thieves guild quest (or any other quest to this matter)

Quest stages : http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Thieves_Guild#Quests

Setstage command (read carefully before using, may bug your game otherwise) :

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Console_Command_Tutorial#SetStage_BaseID_StageNum

Note that you MUST go through each quest stages, not just to the last stage.

You can probably get your stats back using setav commands.

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/SetActorValue

http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/Stats_List

Better ask Gregahit since it look he already used these commands without ill effects.

Levels can be obtained via AdvancePCLevel http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/AdvancePCLevel

You can also console your money back using player.additem F # (where # is the amount of money you need). You can also add back any useful equipment using the additem command as long as you can figure the formid of the stuff you want to get back.

If you need to get back disposition with a specific npc, there's the moddisposition command : http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki/index.php/ModDisposition

Face can be copied from the defective save to the new save with Wrye Bash Import Face feature.

So, I guess most of the basics can be covered. If all these commands don't glitch anything, that is.

Aleanne, you are right on the money with how to do this. The thing to do to prevent glitches is to toggle through each stage of each quest (usually you can do so standing right in front of the quest giver) and then talk to the quest giver at the stages that require it. While I did look at the wiki I preferred to look at each quest and its stages in the CS and made my notes from this. With a little browsing/note taking in the CS and through commands I had my PC right back to the lost save in less than 15 minutes.

Hell, I wasted nearly 5 or 6 times that in trying to "fix" my corrupted save, so in the bigger picture it worked out fine. :)

Personally, I don't mind too much when I have to start low level again. I enjoy making new characters. And once you get to the point that goblins are then only thing that can take more than a few hits (strange how that works) things do tend to get a bit boring.

Edit, I saw OSR + Streamline mentioned a couple of times. I always thought they were incompatible or at least counter-productive. Was I wrong? I use streamline's purge, save and fog (streamsight). Would running OSR help?

if that is your load order try placing Xeosp above beautiful people stuff. I never ran it at the bottom.. I know the docs say that, but I ran it way up the latter.

I am surprised they run, I have never kept that many mods active at one time. But I am very selective of the mods I run.

not sure which Beautiful people mod you are running, but the one I run has Tabaxia race installed with it. the extra one might be a conflict. Mine was the all in one OMOD.

Just to many mods for me to sort through, and many of them I have never tried to run.

It would be a laborious job trying to turn one off at a time, and work your way through them to see which one is messing your character up.

What really gets me is many of those are major texture replacing mods..with extreme graphics replacements in almost every part of the game.

But I applaud your system, running all that..amazing..LOL Not that i have not seen others with just as big a mess of mods, but It always amaze's me.

Personally' date=' I don't mind too much when I have to start low level again. I enjoy making new characters. And once you get to the point that goblins are then only thing that can take more than a few hits (strange how that works) things do tend to get a bit boring.

Edit, I saw OSR + Streamline mentioned a couple of times. I always thought they were incompatible or at least counter-productive. Was I wrong? I use streamline's purge, save and fog (streamsight). Would running OSR help?

[/quote']

Streamline and OSR are actually designed to work together. Streamline does its purges and with OSR you can replace the vanilla heaps which everyone by now knows poorly handle multithreading. OSR on most machines can make a very large improvement in memory management. With OSR managing memory more effectively and Streamline purging on a regular basis you can just imagine the results! :)

OSR does have framerate management built into it but that is easily turned off in its ini (the readme walks you through everything and as complex as the whole thing is he makes it simple to use.) Since OSR is an OBSE plugin the installation and removal are a snap - 3 files in your OBSE directory.

I highly recommend getting and installing it. The readme and setup shouldn't take more than 10 minutes (probably take you only 2 or 3 but I am a really SLOW reader :) )

Whelp, I'm going to put this save somewhere safe, just in case I need it for whatever reason. I've already started my new file, and I'm feeling good about this one.

Just for the hell of it, here's some pics of the beauty whose save I was trying to... uh, save.

Oblivion2011-10-2022-50-53-00.jpg

Oblivion2011-10-2022-53-07-81.jpg

Oblivion2011-10-2022-54-23-66.jpg

Oblivion2011-10-0415-54-24-39-1.jpg

Somebody mentioned that she had a look on her face in that pic as is she was saying "Is... is it in yet?"

Oblivion2011-10-1601-39-34-17.jpg

Oblivion2011-10-1601-39-55-54.jpg

Thank for the import face function.

I applaud your system' date=' running all that..amazing..LOL Not that i have not seen others with just as big a mess of mods, but It always amaze's me.

[/quote']

Nyeheheheheh... thanks.

In case you're wondering, it runs on an AMD Phenom II Six-Core processor, with a AMD Radeon HD 6850 graphics card. A friend of mine told me that getting another one of those cards and crossfiring them would increase performance by a hell of a lot, and that'll be good for overhauls in Skyrim.

Personally' date=' I don't mind too much when I have to start low level again. I enjoy making new characters. And once you get to the point that goblins are then only thing that can take more than a few hits (strange how that works) things do tend to get a bit boring.

[/quote']

Streamline and OSR are actually designed to work together. Streamline does its purges and with OSR you can replace the vanilla heaps which everyone by now knows poorly handle multithreading. OSR on most machines can make a very large improvement in memory management. With OSR managing memory more effectively and Streamline purging on a regular basis you can just imagine the results! :)

OSR does have framerate management built into it but that is easily turned off in its ini (the readme walks you through everything and as complex as the whole thing is he makes it simple to use.) Since OSR is an OBSE plugin the installation and removal are a snap - 3 files in your OBSE directory.

I highly recommend getting and installing it. The readme and setup shouldn't take more than 10 minutes (probably take you only 2 or 3 but I am a really SLOW reader :) )

Thanks, I must have read some bad info, or misinterpreted it. I'll be sure to give it a try, as I'm pretty sure that memory is what's causing my game to crash most of the time.

@Lolicatgirl - She's cute. If you want to rescue the face, you can still use wrye bash to get it out of the save and onto a new character, if all else fails. Also, one thing I like to do with my old broken saves is to take the face and turn it into a CM partner. That way they get a second life in my next game.

Actually, these were just taken after importing the face. Shazam. I recently had to start my main character over as well, because her stats were so broken. But I imported her face and even made it much better using the showracemenu function (which I had finally figured out how to use without breaking stats).

I actually had planned to make Lily into a CM Partner before Alexia, but I didn't want to make the whole MBP/117race thing a requirement for the mod to work. But I should be able to download the Argonoid race by itself and work with that.

Anyway, here's some more pics of both of them:

Lily

Oblivion2011-11-0500-56-48-20.jpg

Oblivion2011-11-0500-58-01-12-1.jpg

Oblivion2011-11-0501-06-22-50.jpg

Oblivion2011-11-0501-11-31-32.jpg

Alexia

Oblivion2011-11-0421-20-18-07.jpg

Oblivion2011-11-0421-23-47-76.jpg

Oblivion2011-11-0421-22-34-71.jpg

Oblivion2011-11-0421-35-54-88.jpg

And this one, gregathit, is just for you:

Oblivion2011-11-0501-08-10-40.jpg

Meh heh heh

Wanted to thank you for that great recommendation. My game seems to run a bit smoother, but for my girlfriend's pc it made a huge difference. Instead of the usual slideshow, she can actually participate in battles again, not just watch as the companions pop across the screen.