Rise of the Tomb Raider/Shadow of the Tomb Raider mods broken after update.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, a4dce said:

OFFTOPIC - forum Guidelines #8 clearly says - no drama. https://www.loverslab.com/guidelines/

Guys please stop, or we will get this topic locked and all would get warnings.

No drama. I was respectful and clarified my stance/posts. If the message didn't pertain to you, ignore it. You'll know when I'm causing drama. Usually there's multiple curse words. Indicating I'm pissed. This was not one of those posts. So please, if you feel I'm causing an issue, report me. Otherwise, disregard and move on. Don't butt into issues that don't pertain to you. Respectfully.

Edited by Hakufu1021
On 2/9/2022 at 12:17 PM, Deathlander said:

No drama and if I am the cause of that drama that was definitely not my intent. 

It may be I have found a file of great interest to others with regards to this whole topic: [having my mods stop working with latest Steam update]. If anyone wants to look at it, it may account for why I am unable to use mods and unable to use the BETA version 813. The following describes my problems:

1) Mods stopped working after the Steam update in late 2021

2) Suggested fix is to update to BETA v813; See following:

2a) When I update (downdate) to v813, I can not load a saved game.

2b) I can get to the Main menu; I can run the benchtest; I can run Expeditions. I get a black screen however when loading a saved game.

3) Recommendation (for my situation) is to NUKE everything; load v813 (which should work and it does for most people); Load a mod; Start ROTTR game from scratch.

In preparation to possibly NUKE everything I discovered a ROTTR Log file where ROTTR saved games are stored that may be of interest: Attached is the Tomb Raider Log File found in C:\Users\documents.... Tomb Raider game folder where all the ROTTR saved games are stored. You will note that the Log file contains hundreds of errors. Others may find this helpful if in a situation similar to my own.

My plan is to remove this LOG file and begin again with another effort at using the BETA v813. It may be that this LOG file got corrupted at some time in the past and that by removing it I can get everything working again with Beta v813.

UPDATE: I don't want to admit it but I neglected to do one very important test when all of this began and esp. when Hakufu determined game saves were the reason I couldn't run v813. What I failed to do was to try a saved setting in v813 (recall loading a recent save v813 would only give me a black scr.). Well with a fresh version of v813 installed deleting that TR log file made not difference, I've attached the updated one simply if you're interested in any changes that occurred. Point is I loaded a saved game from last July 2021 and everything works fine. Hakufu was right on the mark!

I'm all set and I hope all of this will help anyone else who may encounter the same problems.

Rise of the Tomb Raider.log 71.33 kB · 0 downloads

Rise of the Tomb Raider.02-2022 Updated_log.txt 58.67 kB · 1 download

Glad to see you finally got your game running. With that, as you seemed to understand where I was coming from, you will be removed from my ignore list. I've had time to cool down, you've obviously had time to digest the information I've given you in it's entirety, and are now among the 99.99%. So absolutely no hard feelings here. As has been the case from the beginning, I only wanted you to listen, and to truly help you achieve a modded game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry it had to come to blocking/ignoring you and all the other "drama" in between. But all that matters is, your install is fixed. We FINALLY won the war.

I'm here to help. As always.

Edited by Hakufu1021
9 hours ago, Hakufu1021 said:

Glad to see you finally got your game running. With that, as you seemed to understand where I was coming from, you will be removed from my ignore list. I've had time to cool down, you've obviously had time to digest the information I've given you in it's entirety, and are now among the 99.99%. So absolutely no hard feelings here. As has been the case from the beginning, I only wanted you to listen, and to truly help you achieve a modded game. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sorry it had to come to blocking/ignoring you and all the other "drama" in between. But all that matters is, your install is fixed. We FINALLY won the war.

I'm here to help. As always.

Thanks Hakufu... no drama but as I was thinking, Steam with it's update sure added drama to my life! And actually, I didn't know you had blocked me :). I think having too much experience in my case blinded me to the obvious. I seriously did not put 2 and 1 together to equal 3; also I don't recall when, if ever, I've sought out assistance on a forum... this one issue however was particularly frustrating to me and I really didn't wish to consider that the problem with using Beta v813 was a saved game issue.

It was actually by accident that I found myself in the ROTTR Libraries folder on my C:\drv and along with all the errors I saw in that first LOG file I recognized/saw all the saved games there and thought, what if??

I wanted more than anything not to have to nuke everything so I thought, well maybe... doesn't hurt to test out your suggestion. I already had a clean v813 version so I activated it, and activated it on Steam, went back to that July save and wham! After a little bit of trial and error and luck (I think), I got a mod working... and ultimately found a Nov. 21st save that at least advanced me to Kitezh. Beyond that date saves wouldn't work.

Only thing I'm wondering now is why some mods work and others don't? Prior to the Steam update that broke things I had Lara looking really good, awesome in fact. I had somehow combined two mods, if that's possible, a Jiggley mod with one of the nude bush mods. I can't seem to duplicate that success, at least not yet. Maybe it's the log files that come with some mods, I don't know. But I'm close and much happier and most of all I am sorry for what may have seemed like drama. I do appreciate your help.

Oh and yes, to uninstall mods all you need to do IMO is to run the InstallMod.bat, it will ask you if you want to delete all mods and as far as I can see it does. But just in case I do need them I have virgin copies of my Tiger 0003 files. I don't know yet but maybe my method is why some mods don't work.

Do you know of links to explain to me in simple (enough) terms how to do my own modding? I am able to edit images on PSP, just that things are a bit more complicated having to use other apps these days - years ago I was doing great editing Morrowind and SIMS 2, but they came with their own workshops. 

Edited by Deathlander

Okay, well this is getting to be insane. I'm still on v813 and like I said I restored a save from 11/2021 and my mods worked. Now having gotten to the next campfire, saving and thinking I could mess around with different mods that has broken the mods completely. The only reason I messed around is because the mod that loaded when I did get things working wasn't the mod I had left off with. So I was trying to get that going again. Brings me back to the question I asked earlier about why some mods worked and others didn't (yes I know I have to uninstall mods already installed, in most cases).

I've deleted all log files in the mods, in tools. I've replace the Tiger0003 files. I guess my only option now is to once again download a fresh copy of v813 and try again. Yes I did go back to an unused save like I did before. How very frustrating this is becoming.

Edited by Deathlander
7 hours ago, Deathlander said:

Okay, well this is getting to be insane. I'm still on v813 and like I said I restored a save from 11/2021 and my mods worked. Now having gotten to the next campfire, saving and thinking I could mess around with different mods that has broken the mods completely. The only reason I messed around is because the mod that loaded when I did get things working wasn't the mod I had left off with. So I was trying to get that going again. Brings me back to the question I asked earlier about why some mods worked and others didn't (yes I know I have to uninstall mods already installed, in most cases).

I've deleted all log files in the mods, in tools. I've replace the Tiger0003 files. I guess my only option now is to once again download a fresh copy of v813 and try again. Yes I did go back to an unused save like I did before. How very frustrating this is becoming.

Something still seems to be wrong with your saves. I'd honestly start fresh on the save file, or test on a 100% save. (Found via google.) To "replicate and isolate the issue." If the issue persists on a 100% save going from the area you loaded from to that next campfire, you know it's something with the install. If it doesn't happen again, you know it's something with the save file.

About "some mods working and some don't." I absolutely cannot say unless you link the mods.

100% Save files to test the theory : https://tombraiders.net/stella/savegame/TR10saves.html

https://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TR10walk/savefiles.html

Third link for saves : https://savegame.pro/pc-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-savegame/

Probably best to use the third link first, try the others if you can't get those to work.

^^^ Read those links and use the save files. That'll let you know if the mod is borked, or your save file is messed up. Of course, make sure you backup your saves. (Put them in another folder.)

Edited by Hakufu1021
8 hours ago, Hakufu1021 said:

Something still seems to be wrong with your saves. I'd honestly start fresh on the save file, or test on a 100% save. (Found via google.) To "replicate and isolate the issue." If the issue persists on a 100% save going from the area you loaded from to that next campfire, you know it's something with the install. If it doesn't happen again, you know it's something with the save file.

About "some mods working and some don't." I absolutely cannot say unless you link the mods.

100% Save files to test the theory : https://tombraiders.net/stella/savegame/TR10saves.html

https://tombraiders.net/stella/walks/TR10walk/savefiles.html

Third link for saves : https://savegame.pro/pc-rise-of-the-tomb-raider-savegame/

Probably best to use the third link first, try the others if you can't get those to work.

^^^ Read those links and use the save files. That'll let you know if the mod is borked, or your save file is messed up. Of course, make sure you backup your saves. (Put them in another folder.)

Thx for those links and I am going to follow your suggestions... I am beginning to think you are correct in that something about saving is dorked up.

I did install a fresh v813. Loaded the two mods I knew worked the last time, restored the same 11/21/21 save that worked before and all set again. Sort of. I'll explain that in a minute.

BTW, if all this is boring stuff let me know. I'm hoping it may help others if need be.

To begin, again, I went into my save directory and cut out all saves (TXT files) dated later than 11/21 (though the actual date listed was 11/20/21. I thought maybe two years of saves (yes, took me awhile to get where I am now) might be a burden. I also removed that Tomb Raider Log that is in with the saves directory after the new fresh install.

So here I am again in Kitezh, with my nude Lara based on the Slightly Jiggly mod by [Lara Nude Mod (Leather Jacket) v1.0 by alphaZomega] - there are three files I have; they work together in a sequence. Install the first, then a second, then additional outfits. I install the first two to get to what I have that works.

Good news this time is I found a lot of stuff plus a tomb I get to from under water that I missed previously.

Now here is where I think there IS something wrong with saving. I am not certain but I think generally from what I recall that when entering a tomb the TR saves automatically. So I explore the tomb some, break down a wall, and make a manual save too. I then exit to main menu and quit the game. I reenter the game, select continue and I'm back where I originally started - not in the tomb where I expected to be. Lara is still gloriously nude but I'm where I was when loading the 11/21/2021 save.

I am fairly certain that when I make it to the next campfire that as long as I don't mess with mods I can save my progress and nude Lara as she is now will save. I just not interested in testing out that theory right now.

I did check my Saves directory and the Tomb Raider Log folder has an updated time but there doesn't seem to be anything else that updated. No new saves. (Just double-checked and yes, only the log was updated).

Now I'm going to experiment as Hakufu suggested by starting from scratch, no saves, brand new start to the game.

I suspect that if there is a problem with new current saves and installing other mods, it is with one file within the Saves folder with the extension .MDMP. If so I can test that theory later, but not now. I can go back and test that theory later. I can delete that file in the future and let Steam create a new one for me.

Summary: v813 works; one mod works; auto or manual saves do not seem to work; installing different mods doesn't work; AND I am going to do what Hakufu has suggested.

You know, even if I do start a new game and can play with more than the one mod, I can always say I did finish the main game for ROTTR. I love this game and maybe starting over isn't such a bad thing. Now that I have a lot of experience - it may be fun to start over.

Well this is unexpected. I thought I had removed all my saved games but in a fresh install they are all still there. I thought they were all the .txt files located : C:|Users\"My Windows 10 username\Documents\Rise of the Tomb Raider. That is not them. To make things worse try Googling "Where are saved games for ROTTR", etc. It turns out there are many suggestions but after looking at some places mentioned, I still can't find them. Hmmm...

I hesitate to even ask if anyone knows, considering what I've read on other forums. But, anyone know?

Alrighty... apparently it doesn't matter where the save games are as I started a new game (which warns only that autosaves will be lost, not manual saves) and without installing a mod I leapt my harrowing way up the snow covered mountain , climbed the ice and how I ever did it when I started the game back when defies understanding. IT has to be one of the most scariest parts and most difficult of the game. When I finally got into the Prophets Tomb, the first entrance I saved the game under a new, empty slot, #39 to be exact and exited the game.

I then installed a mod. It works!!! It one that didn't work before. So yep, it looks like if there is a problem installing mods it has something to do with saved settings. Well, I'm not too keen on the mod I chose so the me that apparently can't help but risk everything am going to uninstall it using the InstallMod.bat and try another one. Drum roll as we find out, or I find out anyways. [I haven't reached my 1st campfire yet, btw.

I'm not certain but I may have figured out what broke to cause my initial problem. I'm still using v813, the Steam version. I am now able to install different mods, uninstall them, install others which is something I wasn't able to do before. I still have issues with some mods like "half black faces".  As I said previously, I have not deleted my saved games as they are not stored in the same way SOTTR is stored. At this time I don't think the problem is saved settings, except for those saved when using the updated Steam version. Again I am using Beta v813.

I have this suspicion: In "C:|Users\"My Windows 10 username\Documents\Rise of the Tomb Raider" you will find TXT files, likely a lot of them, a Tomb Raider Log file and, this is the file I suspect causes problems and needs to be removed, IT IS the one with the extension .MDMP.

The reason I'm suspicious of this file is after removing it I can now install different mods to the previous save game when I am in Kitezh. You'll recall only one mod would work, then that mod wouldn't work and the theory was that the save was the problem. But I am now able to add mods to that save and like I suggested the only thing I can figure I did to fix it is remove the .MDMP. [I did a simple cut/paste to a different directory.

Not sure if I'll be updating this further as I think for now I'm pretty comfortable with the way things are working.

On 2/13/2022 at 12:40 PM, Deathlander said:

I'm not certain but I may have figured out what broke to cause my initial problem. I'm still using v813, the Steam version. I am now able to install different mods, uninstall them, install others which is something I wasn't able to do before. I still have issues with some mods like "half black faces".  As I said previously, I have not deleted my saved games as they are not stored in the same way SOTTR is stored. At this time I don't think the problem is saved settings, except for those saved when using the updated Steam version. Again I am using Beta v813.

I have this suspicion: In "C:|Users\"My Windows 10 username\Documents\Rise of the Tomb Raider" you will find TXT files, likely a lot of them, a Tomb Raider Log file and, this is the file I suspect causes problems and needs to be removed, IT IS the one with the extension .MDMP.

The reason I'm suspicious of this file is after removing it I can now install different mods to the previous save game when I am in Kitezh. You'll recall only one mod would work, then that mod wouldn't work and the theory was that the save was the problem. But I am now able to add mods to that save and like I suggested the only thing I can figure I did to fix it is remove the .MDMP. [I did a simple cut/paste to a different directory.

Not sure if I'll be updating this further as I think for now I'm pretty comfortable with the way things are working.

Interesting to say the least, honestly you've now gone beyond my scope of knowledge. So your guess is as good as mine in that regard. Never had these issues. Well, at least with that file. (MDMP)

Black faces or missing textures/corrupted textures usually mean the mod didn't install correctly. Sometimes it honestly takes starting from scratch to get a mod working. (Uninstalling and reinstalling the game.) Or at the very least, deleting your tiger file (that's why I always keep a backup.) I also don't uninstall mods through installmod.bat. Never have, never will.

In any case, it's definitely fuel for thought. Glad to see your game is working the way you want it to though. And considering you now seem happy, I wouldn't mess with ANYTHING. But I would backup your tiger files. Including the modded ones. Keep a copy of the original, plus your modded one on a separate hard drive. That way in case anything happens, you can just copy them back over. And if you don't have multiple hard drives in your system, copy them to a folder outside of the game files. (Example : Documents/Rise of the Tomb raider mod backup)

This is a VERY good habit to get into. Backup your modded games, and ALWAYS backup any mods you download. (I literally have over 200GB of mods from this site, nexus mods, and Patreon. Every time a new mod is posted for a game I feel I'm interested in, I keep a copy on my machine. That way I don't have to worry about the mod ever getting deleted by it's creator, DMCA requests, or anything else. As I'll always have a local copy. Plus instructions on how to install it.)

Some people would call me a data hoarder. ( I have 6 HDD's full of games, data, mods, etc.) But, data is extremely invaluable. while storage is cheap!  Data is especially invaluable when it's tied to "risky" content. So I'd much rather keep a copy of it, under my control. Then be pissed/lost if the file was removed from the internet. Honestly, if I could figure out  how to do it, both technically and economically without spending a fortune, I'd literally archive the entirety of this website AND Nexus Mods. Just create a 1:1 copy that I hosted locally on my own network. I'm honestly debating on whether I'll research that project. Spend a grand or two in storage, and just clone Lovers Lab and Nexus. Of course, bandwidth wouldn't be an issue, as I'd be the only one who'd ever access the data in my network. The cost of course would be the storage requirements. Then I'd of course have to create a script/bot that would scour both sites for any changes and download them. (New mods. Of course I wouldn't "pull" a change that resulted in data being deleted. Say a mod is removed.) Of course if I ever were to undertake such a project, I'd have to do it in a way that wouldn't cause a perceptible difference in performance for users on either site. Otherwise, of course the site owners would ban me.

Anyhow, just thinking out load at this point. My point remains though, backups are king. Create them, spend the money to ensure they don't suffer any failures. The internet is not immortal. Sites are not immortal. Act accordingly.

Edited by Hakufu1021

Well Hakufu, regarding some of this I may have gone "beyond your knowledge", and like you I am a data hoarder too. Sounds like you definitely have your own knowledge beyond mine though too.

I have 4 internal HHD's (one is a 1G SSD, and 4 externals, all 3 -4 gigs. I learned my lesson over time. I've been recalling how I did other modding back when - I mean doing my own, one was I think TR 2013 (been so many I can't recall but it was the first one that wasn't real blocky... got as far as a serpent in a pond and couldn't solve it. May have been 15 years ago. I recall a feverish motorcycle run) and I modded my characters in that game. Thing was HHDs were smaller and more expensive back then and I had an HHD with years of hardcore modding on it and it crashed and burned. I was bummed beyond belief for months, years after that.

I did find out from one of your links you provided where the ROTTR saved games are stored. And yes, copies are all over. As far as modding goes though years of doing computer software support burned me out and although now that I'm retired I would love to get back into it but, seems more complicated today. Maybe not, just seems so.

I have an older rig but it seems I bought smart, an ASUS M5A97 R2, which has proved to be an ideal MoBo to keep upgrading - at least it was until the new Rizens came out. What games I do have will likely keep me entertained for the rest of my life. I've entertained thoughts of investing in new stuff but doubt I will.

I don't seem to give up when it comes to pushing the limits. I just discovered something of interest - for other too maybe - I have one of those 144Hz monitors and have been using VSync... in reading up on ROTTR graphics settings I realized VSync is unnecessary with one of those and I turned it off and boosted my frame rates from 59fps to 90fps using the 144Hz (have to use dedicated full screen in monitor setting though to get it to work).

I apologize if I'm frustrating and maybe hard to work with. I'm also stubborn, in that IF I was a noobie, yes I would have taken all of your suggestions and used them, but I am stubborn enough that I prefer to pick and chose, listen, consider and try things and not verbatim. As for that MDMP file I wish I knew more about it because it seems very odd that solved my problems, but as I still have my original saves and they now work (other than the ones saved under Steams latest version) it's the only thing I can think of that I did differently that worked.

Thanks for your assistance and I hope we'll have the chance to talk again. I also hope all of this stuff we went through does help others.

Oh, and as far as continuing to mess around, I likely will, lol... it's my nature.

Edited by Deathlander
16 hours ago, Deathlander said:

Agreed on all accounts.

Also, I hope the info helps others as well, and again sorry for "going off the deep end" earlier in the thread. I completely understand where you are coming from. Glad we were able to work it out.

As far as tinkering/messing around - guilty as charged as well. As I said, just make sure you keep backups. Tinkering/screwing things up is how we learn. At least for me. I purposely screw things up to learn how they break, so I can fix them. Also, I'm sure our interests will cross again.

As far as my storage layout, trust me that's not all I have LMAO! When I said people can call me a data hoarder, I mean it. All told, that I have hooked up actively, or at least available for my rig to use are as follows ; 1x NVME SSD (My OS drive. Nothing else is on it.), 6x HDDs as I've said before, another 6 external HDDs for various devices/tasks, multiple thumb drives, and a good 12 old HDDs from older computers I have laying around and desperately need to plug up and look/harvest all the data off of before they succumb to bit rot.

I'm also really oldschool when it comes to how I use storage. I learned it from my grandfather, and it's stuck since me and him built my first computer 25 years ago. I NEVER, EVER bring a hard drive past 50% capacity (as back in the day that immediately slowed them down.), and every hard drive has a specific storage role. Example : One HDD is "full of games", another is full of "programs." My OS drive never has anything on it besides the OS files, unless I'm actively downloading something. Then it's archived on the proper hard drive.

In this day and age, that sounds like an absolute waste of not only storage but money. But, as I said, my grandfather insisted that's how HDD's should be used, and whether right or wrong, I've always stuck by that principal. This is one way where I have absolutely not caught up with modern technology.

Anyhow, I've clearly gotten off topic. No one seems to need help anymore, and no new mods are being released at the moment. So I'll shut up and leave the thread clear for when either of those two things occur.

Edited by Hakufu1021

I still don't know what PM means and how to do it. If I can talk with you personally I think that would be great.

You provided some background about yourself and your rigging... as an acknowledgement and also so other geeks might chime in or be included, here's my back-story.

In 10th grade which for me was back around 1967 the school I was attending got "a computer". All it was was a card reader that you could use cards to get it to to basic functions - I don't even recall what functions but I was really into it. It was called a computer after-all. There was one catch, which I failed, and that was that it was a luxury allowed only to students who did well in math, and that didn't include me. They, the school prohibited me from using the "computer".

I've decided, and pardon my French, but I believe what fucks people up in life are other people, administrations or experts who say "NO, you are prohibited from doing that. Or, "you are not capable of doing that".

It wasn't until 1995 that I took a risk and bought an Amega computer, with a floppy drive. Beautiful colors!! I bought it to write but it proved impossible to be useful. My next venture was a 386 - don't recall much else other than it had 16K of RAM and maybe at best a 1 mb HDD. It had DOS installed. It was slow as hell. I knew very little about it but lucked out as in the Yellow Pages was a dude that "helped home users". I called him and things went fast after that, though the computers were very slow. And speaking of learning, as everything had to be done using DOS - well I feel bad for anyone today who never experienced it - had to install a dial-up modem, trouble-shoot why after adding hardware the was an IRQ conflict.

Fast forward and computers got faster, Windows came along, and Apples (but I never was a Apple man)... WIN 3.1, WIN 95, 98, XP, 7, and now WIN 10 and WIN 11 [but MS has made my computer obsolete in so far as WIN 11 is concerned!!] I had my own computer business for awhile until I became employed by a software company - 20 years that I was very happy working with my clients but management sucked and treated me badly.

The curse from the 1960's over, I was obsessed with computers, built my own, was in a company where a co-worker and I discussed good buys.

That's how I ultimately made my current rig with the ASUS M5A97 R2... ASUS rocks!!

I bought the original rig 15 some years ago. I have now 15 years later maxed it out... there aren't many MoBo's that old that could do what I did.

90 fps running ROTTR. My Mobo has 6 SATA slots. USB 3, with an add-on USB 3.1. A AMD 8 core FX8350 CPU, an nVidia Geforce 1070 with 8 gigs GDDR5, 32 Gigs DDR3 RAM with a NB freq: 2608 Mhz. 2 internal DVD player/recorders, a 1 gig Samsung SSD, a HDD 4 gigs. 2 additional internal HDD's both with 4 gb storage. Three or more external HDDs.

Sometime ago until the Rizen processor was released and the equiv. Intel CPU, my rig was state of the art. Like I said, 90fps with ROTTR. I estimate it would cost me roughly $700 to build a new RIZEN system (I'm not an Itel sort). At this time I don't see myself doing that. I'm 67 with a serious cancer that has been in remission for 3 years and the games available today are plenty for me.

I hope you don't mistake what i'm sharing as bragging... as my point is I was fortunate I chose a good MoBo years ago that I was able to upgrade the hell out of.

This forum is all about games, ROTTR in particular here and as a matter of fact, I have heard some who were discouraged with ROTTR, preferring SOTTR, well, I love ROTTR. I have recently found, due to catastrophe caused by Steams latest update, that having to continue off from the Lost City when I had completed the game I realize now I actually discovered much that I missed getting to the end of the game. Today's games are not linear - not in the sense that your only goal is to finish the game. You can finish the game and miss out on a lot I've discovered. My suggestion: Take Your Time. Games aren't limited to a beginning-middle-end as they were years ago. They're no longer blocky with lousy graphics. What we have today is the next best thing to full 3D and we even have that in ROTTR - Croft Manor... Croft Manor can be played in 3D. I have an older set of an Oculus and it is awesome to play Croft Manor in 3D.

If I have a point to make I don't really know what it is, lol. At some point in the past until Rizens appeared spending thousands of dollars for the best machine only;y to find it obsolete a year later are gone. I am at the end of my line, with my rig, for now. And maybe I'm saying if you don't have the money to upgrade to WIN 11, or use all the latest gaming gizmos, it doesn't mean you can't succeed with hardware that came about 15+ years ago.

It seems I have encountered, and made every mistake possible with running a PC successfully, but I also recognize if there is a problem it may not be my fault. The latest Steam update to ROTTR is a perfect example and the thousands of lines presented here and the hours used to resolve issues is an example of what it's like to claim dominance over the machine.

I, like Hakufu may be notorious for pushing the limits, making mistakes and learning from them.  And learning and communicating with others about what happens is what it's all about.

15 hours ago, Deathlander said:

I still don't know what PM means and how to do it. If I can talk with you personally I think that would be great.

You provided some background about yourself and your rigging... as an acknowledgement and also so other geeks might chime in or be included, here's my back-story.

In 10th grade which for me was back around 1967 the school I was attending got "a computer". All it was was a card reader that you could use cards to get it to to basic functions - I don't even recall what functions but I was really into it. It was called a computer after-all. There was one catch, which I failed, and that was that it was a luxury allowed only to students who did well in math, and that didn't include me. They, the school prohibited me from using the "computer".

I've decided, and pardon my French, but I believe what fucks people up in life are other people, administrations or experts who say "NO, you are prohibited from doing that. Or, "you are not capable of doing that".

It wasn't until 1995 that I took a risk and bought an Amega computer, with a floppy drive. Beautiful colors!! I bought it to write but it proved impossible to be useful. My next venture was a 386 - don't recall much else other than it had 16K of RAM and maybe at best a 1 mb HDD. It had DOS installed. It was slow as hell. I knew very little about it but lucked out as in the Yellow Pages was a dude that "helped home users". I called him and things went fast after that, though the computers were very slow. And speaking of learning, as everything had to be done using DOS - well I feel bad for anyone today who never experienced it - had to install a dial-up modem, trouble-shoot why after adding hardware the was an IRQ conflict.

Fast forward and computers got faster, Windows came along, and Apples (but I never was a Apple man)... WIN 3.1, WIN 95, 98, XP, 7, and now WIN 10 and WIN 11 [but MS has made my computer obsolete in so far as WIN 11 is concerned!!] I had my own computer business for awhile until I became employed by a software company - 20 years that I was very happy working with my clients but management sucked and treated me badly.

The curse from the 1960's over, I was obsessed with computers, built my own, was in a company where a co-worker and I discussed good buys.

That's how I ultimately made my current rig with the ASUS M5A97 R2... ASUS rocks!!

I bought the original rig 15 some years ago. I have now 15 years later maxed it out... there aren't many MoBo's that old that could do what I did.

90 fps running ROTTR. My Mobo has 6 SATA slots. USB 3, with an add-on USB 3.1. A AMD 8 core FX8350 CPU, an nVidia Geforce 1070 with 8 gigs GDDR5, 32 Gigs DDR3 RAM with a NB freq: 2608 Mhz. 2 internal DVD player/recorders, a 1 gig Samsung SSD, a HDD 4 gigs. 2 additional internal HDD's both with 4 gb storage. Three or more external HDDs.

Sometime ago until the Rizen processor was released and the equiv. Intel CPU, my rig was state of the art. Like I said, 90fps with ROTTR. I estimate it would cost me roughly $700 to build a new RIZEN system (I'm not an Itel sort). At this time I don't see myself doing that. I'm 67 with a serious cancer that has been in remission for 3 years and the games available today are plenty for me.

I hope you don't mistake what i'm sharing as bragging... as my point is I was fortunate I chose a good MoBo years ago that I was able to upgrade the hell out of.

This forum is all about games, ROTTR in particular here and as a matter of fact, I have heard some who were discouraged with ROTTR, preferring SOTTR, well, I love ROTTR. I have recently found, due to catastrophe caused by Steams latest update, that having to continue off from the Lost City when I had completed the game I realize now I actually discovered much that I missed getting to the end of the game. Today's games are not linear - not in the sense that your only goal is to finish the game. You can finish the game and miss out on a lot I've discovered. My suggestion: Take Your Time. Games aren't limited to a beginning-middle-end as they were years ago. They're no longer blocky with lousy graphics. What we have today is the next best thing to full 3D and we even have that in ROTTR - Croft Manor... Croft Manor can be played in 3D. I have an older set of an Oculus and it is awesome to play Croft Manor in 3D.

If I have a point to make I don't really know what it is, lol. At some point in the past until Rizens appeared spending thousands of dollars for the best machine only;y to find it obsolete a year later are gone. I am at the end of my line, with my rig, for now. And maybe I'm saying if you don't have the money to upgrade to WIN 11, or use all the latest gaming gizmos, it doesn't mean you can't succeed with hardware that came about 15+ years ago.

It seems I have encountered, and made every mistake possible with running a PC successfully, but I also recognize if there is a problem it may not be my fault. The latest Steam update to ROTTR is a perfect example and the thousands of lines presented here and the hours used to resolve issues is an example of what it's like to claim dominance over the machine.

I, like Hakufu may be notorious for pushing the limits, making mistakes and learning from them.  And learning and communicating with others about what happens is what it's all about.

This will be my last post on this specific, offtopic, topic. As you can now PM me. After reading below. Sorry to everyone else for the spam. PLEASE, reply to me in PM. As we are now, extremely offtopic.

PM or "Personal message" also known as DM or "Direct Message." Can be used by following the below screenshot. It's essentially ALL forum software's version of AIM. (Aol Instant Messenger. Yup, I know what that is. LOL.) It allows you to directly communicate with someone else. Without cluttering the forum. The button circled in red, is your "PM/DM" button. You click that and it brings you to the drop down in the screenshot. Then click "NEW message"  and it will create a box that looks like the second screenshot. You should know what to do next. The PM button is also where from now on you will see my messages to you. So please do not reply to this one. Copy and past the text into a PM. We'll continue the conversation there.

Click the spoiler below. (Trying to save space on my post.)

Spoiler

PM.JPG

PM2.JPG

Also, I started with a 486 and Windows 95. Absolutely loved oldschool computing. I was born in 1990. So grew up when technology exploded. I had a pager, I used AOL, I learned DOS, etc. The 90s were awesome! But my gramps absolutely showed me the Amiga, Atari 2600, Commodore 64, etc. So I had the good fortune of growing up with technology, while also learning about what predated it.

As far as current systems - LOL on a $700 modern rig. If you build a BRAND new rig that includes a new graphics card. All components replaced BUT the HDD (bigger storage for games) try 2grand IF you are lucky. I spent roughly $3200 on mine. If you include addons I've been slowly acquiring AFTER the new rig was built like a new headset, and another monitor. Try $3600. I spent $1,200 on my GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Eagle OC 8G ALONE! Till the Pandemic ends, or scalpers are efficiently dealt with by companies, you will not build a rig for less then 2k. Unless you reuse your graphics card.

Edited by Hakufu1021
  • 9 months later...
On 1/15/2022 at 12:39 AM, Hakufu1021 said:

@Rikken - You might want to read this post as well.

For the latest steam release - the update broke mods. Square decided to revisit a few older titles and update them with the latest version of DLSS, remove Denuvo if it existed, and for some stupid ass reason, added EGS. So both Steam AND EGS store front copies have EGS code in them. Which NEEDS TO STOP! Developers need to keep store specific code restrained to the specific store! Or just be exclusive to one store. All of that, broke the tool. As they changed the file structure. The file the tool uses is now far bigger then it originally was (by 1.5GB) so the tool has no idea how to handle it anymore. That's why the latest release can't be modded. At least by the tool. Because the tool has absolutely no idea how to handle it now. 

To ALL NEWBIES PLEASE READ BELOW

Copied from the main Rise of the Tomb raider thread. PLEASE read. There's now a video tutorial, plus a list of builds that work with mods. If you are still having issues, YOU are doing something wrong. Reinstall the game from scratch, and watch the video again.

Builds that work with mods listed below. (JOSTAR mods included on both)

Pirated : v1.0 build 820.0_64

Steam release : Use 813 under Beta builds.

EGS (Epic Game store) : Does not work

Any builds older then what I have listed or other then I listed, I do not know how to help you. As I can't test them. I can confirm the builds I listed above work. As I have tested them. I also have both the pirated build above and the Steam build above on my computer. The latest Steam release, does not work with mods. At least via the tool. The tool will have to be updated and so far, no one with the required skills seems interested including the original creator.

Pirated version instructions : Find the build, install it, and the launcher should say "v1.0 build 820.0_64" in the bottom RIGHT HAND corner.) Then use the instructions in the video below starting at 3:20. I CANNOT help you find the correct build off the internet. My advice? Just buy the game.

Video for newbies on how to get mods working with Steam :  Credit to the youtuber for this video. I found it on ROTR nexus mods. I take absolutely no credit for this video.

Hi. Can you advise on where I can find a copy of the mod now that the nexus mod has been taken down? Thanks for any assistance you can provide!