Rise of the Tomb Raider/Shadow of the Tomb Raider mods broken after update.

2 hours ago, Deathlander said:

"If it's not broken don't mess with it."

but, it is broken

but i see

- refuse to use DDU

- doesnt clearly state if the required version even works without  mods or not

- refuses to make a new safe to get around the issue  of being stuck, even though most mods state that this can happen

- apparently doesn't know what a save file backup is

- somehow only talks to 1 guy, ignores everyone eles (lol for real havent seen that one yet)

3 hours ago, Deathlander said:

I am running out of patience.

me too , me too 

so good luck with your " issue" i guess,  not going to be helping anymore, i do this a lot, but its clear you arent following instructions,  and arent willing to, so its hopeless. 

On 2/3/2022 at 5:55 PM, Deathlander said:

Thx... I'm confused with this statement you made: "And mods won't work on the absolute latest build of Steam. Thanks to them fucking breaking it. (I agree with the frustration of steam screwing up games that haven't been updated in 6+ months or even a year or two. But unfortunately, we'll never have any push to get that changed. Maybe an opt out button. which would be awesome! But ya...) So if you update your game to the latest build, grab any files from it, especially the tiger files, and put them in the 813 build. Of course they won't work. As that's the whole problem with the latest build. They changed the files just enough, the modinjector doesn't properly put mods into them. So while the game may launch and be playable, the mods won't work. ".

Fixated with it in fact. The way Steam works on my machine it is always the latest - as there isn't an opt out.

I'm definitely not a newby when it comes to drivers - years of experience. My graphics drivers are quite fine. I keep them up to date with GeForce Experience. I like your idea that the screen size the game is using may somehow be outside parameters. That is very possible.

Reload Windows, ha ha... I mean I can do that easily enough and even have done it periodically but I'll pass on doing it for this reason.

It could even be my anti-virus affecting something, so intend to try with that off.

Not sure how or if you were asking about a video of the CMD window while loading a mod but I've attached an example.

I am hesitant, quite hesitant to post full PC diagnosis but if there is one that would give gaming info that's a possibility - at the moment I can't think of what diagnostic tool to use.

And believe me I'm racking my brain too on this partly as I do sometimes like a challenge but I am running out of patience. And

I do agree though it sounds like a specific issue with my PC setup... Something I changed back when by coincidence when the Steam update launched. I do however try to heed the warning, "If it's not broken don't mess with it."

CMD Snap.JPG

First my advice in bullet point form

1) DELETE THE SAVE. NUKE IT. It's corrupted. Get rid of it!!! PLEASE!!!

2) Uninstall the game. Completely. Nuke it. Delete any traces of it. Backups, EVERYTHING. Make sure the game, even an empty folder, doesn't exist on your machine.

3) Reinstall the game.

4) Switch to the beta branch (813.)

beta813.JPG.45b7ca3b9cb488a58ab4be70472fad1a.JPG

5) It will update to the beta branch 813.

6)Download the latest mod injector. 1.5 (I don't care if this is your 100th time download it. Download it again. Use the one you just downloaded.)

https://www.nexusmods.com/riseofthetombraider/mods/20?tab=files

^^^^ First one on that files list. NO OTHER FILE. NO OTHER ENTRY!

It's time stamp : Date Uploaded : 24 Sep 2021, 1:52PM.

7) Download a FRESH copy of whatever mod you want. (Again, I don't care if this is your 1,000th time downloading it.

8  ) DELETE any log files that may be present. (inside the mod folders AND inside the Mod injector folder(s) if they exist.

9) INSTALL the mods. FOLLOW the video. (Yes, watch that video all over again. Watch every milisecond of it. I don't care if you think you know how to do it. Just do it.)

Link to video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VHrOkeDwTI&t=1s

10) ??? Drink some liquor? I know I am...

11 ) Hopefully profit?!?!?

Now for the explanation

This is not an insult to your intelligence. This is literally an itemized list to get the mods running. Failure to do any step, will mean I don't help anymore. That's because this list works for 99.99% of us. The save file is an added step for you personally, yes. But you will now join the 99.99% IF YOU DO IT. Instead of being in the 00.01%.

Build 813 is the build that works for 99.99% of us.. Not the official branch. You switch/update to it by following the screenshot I provided before. It is not the build you are sent via Steam when you uninstall and install the game.

The official latest version (the build you get when you uninstall and reinstall) WILL NOT, I repeat, WILL NOT WORK with mods! No matter how hard you try. You will not get them to work. You can take files from 813 all you want. It won't make them work. That's the WHOLE issue with this game. If we want mods, we have to use the beta branch. Because Alpha, the creator of the mod injector, has fucked off. So we don't have an update to the tool.

I'll say again, since I've seen your followup posts. The latest steam build absolutely does not work WITH ANY MODS. At least ones that are currently available and use the Modinjector. Build 813 which is the beta branch, is the LATEST working build for mods.

Second, backup your save files. This is coming down to a save issue. Especially considering you said the rest of the game works. Bench mark, Expeditions, etc. Back that save file up in a folder titled BACKUP. Start a new game. If it the mods work - boom. You have two choices 1) play the game from the beginning and enjoy Lara in all her glory. 2) Download a 100% save. And enjoy the mods while screwing around. But your save file seems screwed. That much is evident now. You can reinstall the game all you want, tinker with it all you want. It will not change the outcome. That save file is fucked. I'm literally only advocating to back it up in this explanation, for your own peace of mind. Plus, the slim chance this doesn't work. But if it were me? That save would be gone. Nuked.

Plus again, you keep going for the very latest steam build and not the beta build. And when you do go to the beta build, everything but your saves work. So of course, your save is the problem. I guarantee if you nuke that save, you'll be greeted with nude lara.

But I'm sorry my friend, at this point you either A) need to humor what me and @XOBOXOXBOX are saying, follow our instructions/advice to the T, or go it alone. As I  too, am  running out of patience.

PS: At this point we seem to have a fundamental communication breakdown. And I'm trying my best to not let my extreme frustration get the better of my speech. But it's clear either A) due to your stubbornness or B) you getting slightly confused, is causing very simple concepts to be ignored/misconstrued.

Complete this list in it's entirety. If you refuse a number on this list, please figure it out yourself as I will not reply with further troubleshooting until this list is completed in it's entirety. As I'm about ready to blow my brains out. So if the list isn't completed in it's entirety, I will not help with further troubleshooting. Sorry, my sanity is literally on the line. Plus, me AND XOBOXOXBOX have literally been giving you the keys to the castle, but you seem to be refusing them. You are near enough outright ignoring his advice, when it's just as solid as mine, or you are skipping over KEY steps in the troubleshooting process.

We can't help those who don't want to help themselves. So, if you aren't going to take this as seriously as we are, fine. We have mods running on our installs. It doesn't hurt me or him personally if you don't get mods working. But what is hurting us, is you undermining, or outright ignoring key advice we are giving. So, considering you are doing that. I'm out. Unless you show you are willing to work with the troubleshooting steps provided, down to the absolute T. And you give what you are and aren't willing to do, in your replies. So it's not hard for me or him, to figure out when you've ignored advice. And trust me, you are ignoring ALOT of advice. He's pointed out what you are ignoring.

Edited by Hakufu1021

Hey... I am not sure why I posted the screen grab of the Tools folder with all the log files. I usually, based on what I saw in the video, delete those, which I just did. Anyways, having or not having the log files doesn't make any difference for me. I also check the actual mod folder for log files and delete those too.

Anyways, for the record I think I'm going to give up on this endeavor and play the vanilla version - too bad when I finished the game and got something like 8 new outfits they weren't more attractive than the old block style Lara. Why couldn't they have been more modern and attractive. Are there really people out there and no offense, that prefer the old style Lara in a modern game?

So I'm not per se actually giving up on this project but I'm not going to let it ruin the game for me either. Still, if you see something in those CMD profiles that is not right please let me know or if you can think of anything else to try. It sure is a mystery to me what could have happened.

3 hours ago, eleanor rigby said:

And Croft Manor is fine, too.

Thank you all for your help.

Glad to see it working for you. Might I ask who's instructions you followed? I ask because if it was mine, any tips on improving? Any info I left out? Anything that could be clarified more? That way other newcomers can get the same result with no headache.

BTW, mind sharing a link to the posters/texture mods you have? I don't remember downloading them. (The floor mat texture, and the posters on the main menu.)

@Deathlander - You are either A) extremely stubborn or B) The best troll I've ever encountered. You completely sidestepped what I said, and are asking for entirely different troubleshooting advice. Sorry boss, not looking at it. I wish you the best of luck. I will not help you any further. Any more troubleshooting posts from you, and I'll add you to my ignore list. You are spamming at this point. Below is my bullet point reasoning.

1) Your command prompt reveals you failed step #8.

2) You obviously failed step #1. Which leads you to the assumption of step #8 not mattering. (Your assumption : Logs don't make a difference.) And those are the steps I can prove. God knows how many others you decided to ignore.

3) Ignoring advice. When advice was specifically tailored FOR YOU. Hence Step #1.

4) Insisting you know more then others, and so can decide which steps don't work or work, despite mods never working on your install.

5) Being absolutely outclassed by another noobie to this game and/or topic. Showing, clearly the problem is on your end. It's almost poetic. He comes in out of nowhere and proves the build works, with mods. IF YOU FUCKING LISTEN!

As far as everyone else - need any help, I'd be glad to. But the list and video I provided, should yield a working game with working mods 99.99% of the time. IGNORE all my posts to Deathlander unless you face the EXACT issue he's facing. Which I doubt. Otherwise, you will nuke your save for no reason. Follow the list (besides step 1), and watch the video, if you need any clarification, I'm here. This is my last reply in this thread for a few days unless a newcomer needs help.  Bout ready to open up a donation pool for liquor. FFS.

Edited by Hakufu1021

Hakufu1021... who are you talking about when you say you will not help them any further? If what I posted shows you something about log files I would wish you shared that with me. I am certainly not a troll nor trying to F*** anyone over. In the YouTube video I am sure it said to delete any log files. That they aren't necessary and can cause problems.

As a side note - how the H*** did someone manage to alter the load screen with nudes? See, this is the thing... if there are options like this I should have the right to play with them.

That aside, I reiterate I am at the point of giving up on being able to use mods for ROTTR. I have awesome mods in most every other game I play, like RE2 - remake, RE3. Every other game I select, just not ROTTR. I really wish I knew why.

3 hours ago, PepeLordd said:

in blender that takes about 3 minutes to do? hilarious mate

As someone who doesnt even get how to move the camera properly, i can emphasize (with the notion of blender being hard)

Spoiler

xSb8xEq_d.webp.e54c2a8df635d4b1a4c9a5d80851da19.webp

this attempt took me hours lol… and i still didn't get anywhere in "render mode" this really shouldn't be this difficult, any other program lets you move the camera freely with the mouse…

and i also didn't get to change the skin color as they tell you. Oof. ?‍♀️

Edited by XOBOXOXBOX

XOBoxoboxo...

What does this have to do with mods being broken in ROTTR or SOTTR? My goal here is to have fun playing with mods in ROTTR or SOTTR.

No offense but your posts have nothing to do with this - IMO.

The idea of the internet/WWW is that it is a phenomenal way to bring people together to discuss something like mods that stop working in a game. This works best if people RESPECT the facts, that in this case this thread is all about a broken ability to use mods. It has nothing to do with Blender, moving the camera or saving yo money. Please let us have our space here for what this thread is about.

14 hours ago, Deathlander said:

Hakufu1021... who are you talking about when you say you will not help them any further? If what I posted shows you something about log files I would wish you shared that with me. I am certainly not a troll nor trying to F*** anyone over. In the YouTube video I am sure it said to delete any log files. That they aren't necessary and can cause problems.

As a side note - how the H*** did someone manage to alter the load screen with nudes? See, this is the thing... if there are options like this I should have the right to play with them.

That aside, I reiterate I am at the point of giving up on being able to use mods for ROTTR. I have awesome mods in most every other game I play, like RE2 - remake, RE3. Every other game I select, just not ROTTR. I really wish I knew why.

1) You are the one I'm talking about.

2) You are added to my ignore/block list. You are a troll.

3) Read my prior post. It answers any question you may have. Link is below because you can't follow instructions.

4) Figure it out yourself. I'm done.

5) I'm done.

6) Did I say I'm done yet?

7) Wish in one hand, crap in another. See which one fills up first.

Any noobies who need help going forward - PM me. Or read the below link, ignoring Step # 1. It only pertains to DeathLander. Again, any clarification, PM me.

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/178185-rise-of-the-tomb-raidershadow-of-the-tomb-raider-mods-broken-after-update/?do=findComment&comment=3661206

Edited by Hakufu1021

Hakufu1021

Message received. Sorry I was such a lagtart if for all this time this is what you were trying to tell me all along. No offense taken with anything you have finally made clear to me. I only feel bad I simply didn't realize my SAVES were the whole problem, that and using the latest update.

I now see I have two options:

1) Start the game over, completely over, from scratch. Delete everything including and especially ALL saves; NUKE everything; Install 813 - if I want a nude Lara.

OR...

Forget playing with ANY mods if I don't want to do that.

Simple enough but damn it!!! That sucks!

Edited by Deathlander

Yes Thank-you...

I just want to say one thing before I leave here. That is that it seems to me this was a process. I started inquiring on this and other forums back when this problem (with the update) first happened. Sometime around this past Nov. 2021. At the time and for a few weeks after no one reported any problems. One person told me this was a problem back in 2015 or thereabouts, that "I was doing something wrong because there was no problem". Gradually, people started coming out, but then there was only confused reports and no solutions. Finally, here, I began to get real results of a problem.

Never (and I am likely very lucky) that I remember in the last 20 years have I had this kind of problem with mods. Nor do I recall ever finishing a game all the way through. I'm retired now and as I admitted I went through 6 months of chemo and survived cancer. Obviously now I have the time to focus on games. As such there are now three games I have completed: RE2 remake, RE3 remake and ROTTR. My mods in RE2 and RE3 all work great as do my mods in a dozen more games including SOTTR.  I can caution everyone that the drugs given in chemo are severe. They addle one's brain. I think I am doing pretty well, considering.

Also as I said, I believe with all the confusion, and yes I may be seen as one of the most confused, still I see this whole thing as having been a process. And after all I now not only have an understanding of the problem but a solution too. I have Hakufu to thank for that. However, I really don't feel it was fair to single me out as being in particular numb to this whole problem. If others understood the problem and were able to resolve it before I discovered it (with all your help) that's great.

I don't believe however that this statement was polite, deserved or necessary:  "Any noobies who need help going forward - PM me. Or read the below link, ignoring Step # 1. It only pertains to DeathLander. Again, any clarification, PM me." I don't really know about others - especially those yet to come forwards that haven't reported a problem, all I can say is there should be no question now for anyone what the problem and solution is. A lot of the time it is asking the correct questions that resolve and issue like this. There can be no solution if the correct questions aren't asked and some people are brighter, smarter and get it a lot quicker than others.

I'm gone, happy with the results but I doubt I will seek out any help with anything else in the future. No offense to Hakufu but I don't feel it was nice to single me out. It took 4 months of asking questions and Hakufu is the only person I found able to understand what was going on. And obviously, nuking all my saves was the very last thing I would have wanted to hear as a solution. I didn't cause this problem, Steam did as far as I'm concerned.

5 hours ago, Deathlander said:

I don't believe however that this statement was polite, deserved or necessary:  "Any noobies who need help going forward - PM me. Or read the below link, ignoring Step # 1. It only pertains to DeathLander. Again, any clarification, PM me."

How is that not polite, deserved or necessary?"

That statement literally means "Everyone who comes across this list of steps, ignore step #1. It's not geared for you." That statement had to be made otherwise, every single noobie that comes here would delete their saves. When chances are, they are perfectly fine. Step #1 is specifically for you, because your saves are screwed. I wrote those instructions FOR YOU. So of course I'd single you out. You are the only one who no matter what, couldn't get the game working.

I mean, out of all my posts, everything I said, you single out a completely innocent comment as berating you? When I said so much more. Sorry dude, but I just don't understand. Plus, that statement was also meant to convey "those who need help and are willing to listen, by all means, PM me." Sorry, but when I've spent the better part of two pages troubleshooting one person's issues, considering this is a forum, I have to single you out. And that's not even mentioning the sheer frustrations involved, so that also doubled as a way for me to continue helping other people out, while preserving my own sanity. Oh and trying my best to avoid getting banned from this forum.

But, troubleshooting does not always work for everyone. And I do not want someone coming into a topic I'm helping people with, and using information that could mess up their install. When all they needed to do was follow the basic instructions. Not the instructions meant for one single individual.

If you didn't want to be singled out, you should have moved the conversation to PM/direct message. Then no matter what was said, in any regard, would have been between me and you only.

Edited by Hakufu1021

I apologize (profusely)... not only do I admit to reading into things but it's easy to get confused. I definitely do not want every noobie deleting their saves. But, I still don't know how or what PM is. I'm rather old-school, back before things were initialized the way they are today.

So I think I should be saying thanks for singling me out and thanks for (your help) figuring out my problem.

On 2/9/2022 at 9:25 AM, a4dce said:

OFFTOPIC - forum Guidelines #8 clearly says - no drama. https://www.loverslab.com/guidelines/

Guys please stop, or we will get this topic locked and all would get warnings.

No drama and if I am the cause of that drama that was definitely not my intent. 

It may be I have found a file of great interest to others with regards to this whole topic: [having my mods stop working with latest Steam update]. If anyone wants to look at it, it may account for why I am unable to use mods and unable to use the BETA version 813. The following describes my problems:

1) Mods stopped working after the Steam update in late 2021

2) Suggested fix is to update to BETA v813; See following:

2a) When I update (downdate) to v813, I can not load a saved game.

2b) I can get to the Main menu; I can run the benchtest; I can run Expeditions. I get a black screen however when loading a saved game.

3) Recommendation (for my situation) is to NUKE everything; load v813 (which should work and it does for most people); Load a mod; Start ROTTR game from scratch.

In preparation to possibly NUKE everything I discovered a ROTTR Log file where ROTTR saved games are stored that may be of interest: Attached is the Tomb Raider Log File found in C:\Users\documents.... Tomb Raider game folder where all the ROTTR saved games are stored. You will note that the Log file contains hundreds of errors. Others may find this helpful if in a situation similar to my own.

My plan is to remove this LOG file and begin again with another effort at using the BETA v813. It may be that this LOG file got corrupted at some time in the past and that by removing it I can get everything working again with Beta v813.

UPDATE: I don't want to admit it but I neglected to do one very important test when all of this began and esp. when Hakufu determined game saves were the reason I couldn't run v813. What I failed to do was to try a saved setting in v813 (recall loading a recent save v813 would only give me a black scr.). Well with a fresh version of v813 installed deleting that TR log file made not difference, I've attached the updated one simply if you're interested in any changes that occurred. Point is I loaded a saved game from last July 2021 and everything works fine. Hakufu was right on the mark!

I'm all set and I hope all of this will help anyone else who may encounter the same problems.

Rise of the Tomb Raider.log

Rise of the Tomb Raider.02-2022 Updated_log.txt

Edited by Deathlander