Rise of the Tomb Raider/Shadow of the Tomb Raider mods broken after update.

20 hours ago, PepeLordd said:

shadow of the tomb raider mods didn't break, only rise broke

Just tested it after the update, my game still has the black screen but after I uninstalled SpecailK and toggle DirectX 12 on and off then reinstall SpecailK again my game seems to works fine now.

I guess it's probably never broken in the first place, the launcher just need a hard reset that I'm not sure how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

Look in your game dir:

Do you have a folder called TOOLS ? If so, delete all log files inside, not the both exe.

Do you have a folder called LOGS ? If so, delete all files inside.

Try to install your mod/mods again with installmod.bat.

Maybe deinstall complete game and install it new.

DirectX 11

Edited by eleanor rigby
7 hours ago, eleanor rigby said:

Look in your game dir:

Do you have a folder called TOOLS ? If so, delete all log files inside, not the both exe.

Do you have a folder called LOGS ? If so, delete all files inside.

Try to install your mod/mods again with installmod.bat.

Maybe deinstall complete game and install it new.

DirectX 11

i've done all of that already

Trying to use josters mods, and the game keeps giving me an error when i install the mods saying a log is detected that does not match im guessing thats what is causing the crashes. But again when i try to roll back with the beta build the game just goes to a black screen, really frustrating no other game gives me this much crap with nude mods :(  could someone point me to a pirated version that would surley work? i tried the fitgirl repack and that didnt work either.... but im guessing it was updated to the latest version of the game.... I need an older version 

I just want mods working, this is frustrating

Edited by jackrider53

I get the log error because I don't uninstall previous mods, I just drop in a backup of my original files and apply patches like you normally would. So that's probably not what is causing your issues, because my game and mods work fine.

Have you tried verifying files after changing to the Beta? Your files are probably screwed up. Make sure your Vanilla game is up and running properly before applying or re-applying any mods.

Pirated versions can have performance issues. The one I tried was unplayable, 8.20 is the right version in case you are wondering. But pretty much every mod I have tried on 8.20 has worked on 8.13,

Also, some of those JOSTAR mods are packed in a way that will fail to patch if you don't take the files out of the folder.  For example the "Lara Nude Version X". It's packed like this :

Lara Nude (Big Boobs) Version X-23-X-1637650718.7z

├── Lara_Nude_Mod_(Big Boobs)_Version-X
│   ├── Mod
│   │   ├── laracroft
│   │   ├── laracroft_hoodie
│   │   ├── laracroft_jacket_light
│   │   ├── laracroft_long_sleeve
│   │   └── laracroft_snow_gear

That's one folder too deep, if you just extract and try to patch it will fail and finish almost instantly. But that shouldn't cause any crashing, the mods just won't work.

Your folder for the mod should look like this.

Lara_Nude_Mod_(Big Boobs)_Version-X
├── laracroft
├── laracroft_hoodie
├── laracroft_jacket_light
├── laracroft_long_sleeve
└── laracroft_snow_gear

You will know it worked because the patching process takes a while.

Tried 2 different pirated versions of the game, Even those wont let mods go through. (Not i am not condoning piracy im just trying to make this game work with mods) i have never seen a game fight me this hard no other game does this! Either mods work or they dont. This is frustrating because other people seem to use them just fine, but my pc is more than capable and runs more demanding games than this with nude mods. I try on steam to enable the beta i even validated the files when i did so and the game just goes to a black screen, so the one option that should work here, wont. there must be some type of solution or something im doing wrong!

3 hours ago, jackrider53 said:

Tried 2 different pirated versions of the game, Even those wont let mods go through. (Not i am not condoning piracy im just trying to make this game work with mods) i have never seen a game fight me this hard no other game does this! Either mods work or they dont. This is frustrating because other people seem to use them just fine, but my pc is more than capable and runs more demanding games than this with nude mods. I try on steam to enable the beta i even validated the files when i did so and the game just goes to a black screen, so the one option that should work here, wont. there must be some type of solution or something im doing wrong!

Considering you are having issues even on pirated installs. And I've ran mods on both the official release (beta branch) and pirated copies, I'd say you are doing something wrong. I still have a pirated copy with mods fully working. (As I now keep two installs. One legit with the official mainline branch and a modded pirated copy.)

To help you troubleshoot, my best advice is, record a video of what you are doing. Take us through every step you make. That way we can point out where you are wrong.  As troubleshooting through text is pretty much impossible.

So create a "video tutorial" showing exactly what you are doing, and upload it to youtube. (Make sure it's unlisted and will only be viewable by link.) Failing that, the only other way I know to help you is for you to contact a more senior member in the thread, and get them to remote into your computer. So they essentially install the mods for you. On your own computer. If you go this route I recommend TeamViewer.

Edited by Hakufu1021
1 hour ago, Hakufu1021 said:

Considering you are having issues even on pirated installs. And I've ran mods on both the official release (beta branch) and pirated copies, I'd say you are doing something wrong. I still have a pirated copy with mods fully working. (As I now keep two installs. One legit with the official mainline branch and a modded pirated copy.)

To help you troubleshoot, my best advice is, record a video of what you are doing. Take us through every step you make. That way we can point out where you are wrong.  As troubleshooting through text is pretty much impossible.

So create a "video tutorial" showing exactly what you are doing, and upload it to youtube. (Make sure it's unlisted and will only be viewable by link.) Failing that, the only other way I know to help you is for you to contact a more senior member in the thread, and get them to remote into your computer. So they essentially install the mods for you. On your own computer. If you go this route I recommend TeamViewer.

Can you tell me which pirated copy you are using? maybe PM me where to find it? im thinking the copies i tried where too Up To date. I know im installing them correctly as the process does take awhile, What happens is when the process works the game on steam tells me to validate files. And again i have modded plenty of games with nude mods so im not dumb when it comes to this sort of thing.... an update broke this game so i need an older version that will let me install what i want

• 4 weeks later...

So glad to see I'm not alone re: the mods not working anymore in ROTTR... very unhappy to see it's for real. Originally there was nothing recent (2021) about a problem. I came off as a crazy person and I thought it was something I did.

Speaking of which, I resolved the all black screen problem in SOTTR. Try turning off the AMD FidelityFX CAS.

What exactly broke mods in ROTTR?? I seem to keep reading about an update but that rollback doesn't work either. Makes no sense. Was code rewritten to the EXE to prohibit mods? Rolling back one would think would work.

10 hours ago, Deathlander said:

So glad to see I'm not alone re: the mods not working anymore in ROTTR... very unhappy to see it's for real. Originally there was nothing recent (2021) about a problem. I came off as a crazy person and I thought it was something I did.

Speaking of which, I resolved the all black screen problem in SOTTR. Try turning off the AMD FidelityFX CAS.

What exactly broke mods in ROTTR?? I seem to keep reading about an update but that rollback doesn't work either. Makes no sense. Was code rewritten to the EXE to prohibit mods? Rolling back one would think would work.

@Rikken - You might want to read this post as well.

For the latest steam release - the update broke mods. Square decided to revisit a few older titles and update them with the latest version of DLSS, remove Denuvo if it existed, and for some stupid ass reason, added EGS. So both Steam AND EGS store front copies have EGS code in them. Which NEEDS TO STOP! Developers need to keep store specific code restrained to the specific store! Or just be exclusive to one store. All of that, broke the tool. As they changed the file structure. The file the tool uses is now far bigger then it originally was (by 1.5GB) so the tool has no idea how to handle it anymore. That's why the latest release can't be modded. At least by the tool. Because the tool has absolutely no idea how to handle it now. 

To ALL NEWBIES PLEASE READ BELOW

Copied from the main Rise of the Tomb raider thread. PLEASE read. There's now a video tutorial, plus a list of builds that work with mods. If you are still having issues, YOU are doing something wrong. Reinstall the game from scratch, and watch the video again.

Builds that work with mods listed below. (JOSTAR mods included on both)

Pirated : v1.0 build 820.0_64

Steam release : Use 813 under Beta builds.

EGS (Epic Game store) : Does not work

Any builds older then what I have listed or other then I listed, I do not know how to help you. As I can't test them. I can confirm the builds I listed above work. As I have tested them. I also have both the pirated build above and the Steam build above on my computer. The latest Steam release, does not work with mods. At least via the tool. The tool will have to be updated and so far, no one with the required skills seems interested including the original creator.

Pirated version instructions : Find the build, install it, and the launcher should say "v1.0 build 820.0_64" in the bottom RIGHT HAND corner.) Then use the instructions in the video below starting at 3:20. I CANNOT help you find the correct build off the internet. My advice? Just buy the game.

Video for newbies on how to get mods working with Steam :  Credit to the youtuber for this video. I found it on ROTR nexus mods. I take absolutely no credit for this video.

Edited by Hakufu1021
  • 3 weeks later...

So Beta 813 doesn't even work for me anyways... it brings up the menu but no matter what a black, non-responsive screen after that which I have to C-A-D out of. If I validate files all is fine.

You know I love this game, even more than SOTTR, in which mods no longer work either. Thing is it's not the nudity that I'm missing, it's the nudity as a result of the talent that created it. Long ago I modded my own games like Morrowind. Or SIMS 2. It was fun. It was exciting and rewarding. A catastrophic crash destroyed it all... weeks, even months of work, gone. As are those days.

I admire the talent modding requires and it doesn't seem right how easy it is for STEAM to destroy (or at least that's how it feels) it all.

I did try to contact STEAM and I'm sure I have done that in the past but in this case there seems to be no way to contact them, contact support. A supposed update to repair apparent cliches with the update that destroyed the mods seems to have done nothing.

Speaking of Morrowind, I recall back in I think it was the late 90's when STEAM was created because of pirated versions of that game. I recall how much gamers hated STEAM. We were used to buying a game and installing it, updating it when we chose, and then, we had a "controller". Hey, I came to accept and even like STEAM. Until now. Seems we have a moral monitor now... seems no one is really concerned about STEAM destroying the work of countless talented modders. Easy to blame them... require them to fix this. And that's BS!

Seems... STEAM is the fox in the hen-house after all.

Can we not get united and get this problem fixed? And no more YouTube recommendations on how to install a mod... I know damn well how to install a mod and I know when it's been broken.

If mods don't work on 813, you're doing something wrong. How long are you waiting on this black screen? Try waiting a little longer. You can also try 811 which has high compatibility with many mods just not all of them. SotTR mods still work, you just have to reinstall them or update your Special K. Different solutions worked for different people, but the mods still work.

What are we supposed to do exactly? These mods are all unsupported and unofficial, Steam has zero responsibility here. It's on us to keep unofficial, unsupported mods working.

Any game I mod, I disable automatic updates. And I don't update until I make a backup of the game folder, if the update breaks mods I don't use it and I keep playing on my backup by renaming the folders (working game gets the real name, the update gets renamed to something like Rise of the Tomb Raider_UPDATE). You need lots of Extra HDD space, and you need to be smart about it. If there's a new update, apply it on the _UPDATE folder and don't mess with your working modded folder. As long as the modded folder is named correctly, you can launch it through Steam no problem, just watch out for updates.

I still play on the official 8.20 from Steam, works fine. And I have a pirated version of 8.20 just in case Denuvo breaks it at some point.

Edited by Budz
5 hours ago, Budz said:

If mods don't work on 813, you're doing something wrong. How long are you waiting on this black screen? Try waiting a little longer. You can also try 811 which has high compatibility with many mods just not all of them. SotTR mods still work, you just have to reinstall them or update your Special K. Different solutions worked for different people, but the mods still work.

What are we supposed to do exactly? These mods are all unsupported and unofficial, Steam has zero responsibility here. It's on us to keep unofficial, unsupported mods working.

Any game I mod, I disable automatic updates. And I don't update until I make a backup of the game folder, if the update breaks mods I don't use it and I keep playing on my backup by renaming the folders (working game gets the real name, the update gets renamed to something like Rise of the Tomb Raider_UPDATE). You need lots of Extra HDD space, and you need to be smart about it. If there's a new update, apply it on the _UPDATE folder and don't mess with your working modded folder. As long as the modded folder is named correctly, you can launch it through Steam no problem, just watch out for updates.

I still play on the official 8.20 from Steam, works fine. And I have a pirated version of 8.20 just in case Denuvo breaks it at some point.

Pretty much this. I've tried my damndest to provide absolute fool proof methods to get mods working. The only other thing I can do, is LITERALLY do the mod installation for people. By remoting in using one of the trusted remote desktop apps such as TeamViewer.. And let me tell you, if people want services like that, It's not gonna be a cheap service. Why? Honestly, to be blunt, because it's a stupidity tax at this point.

These mods have been proven to work, multiple times over. There's a video, there's plenty of text, we've given the EXACT tested build numbers from legit and even pirated sources. Again, at this point, as you said, it's a you problem not an "us" problem. The mods work, you are doing it wrong. Sorry but sometimes people just can't sugar coat it.

I also do the exact same thing you do. Hell, there's a nude mod for Devil Slayer - Raksasi by the modder KairosZX that has not worked on Steam for like 6 months. As the developers of the game, locked the game down because they are based in China or something and were worried about competing devs stealing code/resources. And he can't figure out how to gain access to update his mod.

So what did I do? I found the build that his mod works for (even told him on Patreon) grabbed it off Steam, and now it's rar'd up with his mods, on my HDD. Every update that comes out for this game, I delete the current game files, and put that rar'd up copy in that folder. Then launch it via steam to make sure it still works.

@Deathlander Say you know how to install a mod all you want. But obviously, you don't. As you are literally the only person who STILL says they are having issues after all the information I've given. If it was a game/Steam problem. More people would be replying with issues. And I've proven myself, if you watch the video, do exactly what it says, the mods work perfectly. I didn't get some magical build from the developers or a modder. I got it straight from Steam and have uninstalled and reinstalled it MULTIPLE times. Mods still work on it. IF you follow the instructions.

PS: Plus, the days where a modder can mod a game and it work for even a year down the line, are long gone. There's been quite a lot of games released that modders mod to hell and back, and then an update comes out and nukes all of that work. So, ya...it's time to take matters into your own hands. Hell the same shit just happened with Xenoverse 2. And because the developer of the mod tool that ALL of the mods work off of, had personal issues, it JUST now got updated. After months of waiting and other modders stepping up and FAILING miserably to get his tool working on the latest update. And now we are trying to sort through which mods work and don't. Trying to figure out why, and if the original creator is going to fix said mod(s) that aren't working. First time this has really happened in the Xenoverse 2 community. As the tool has always allowed mods no matter age, to work once the tool itself was updated to be compatible with the newest game update.

But that's the issue with some games that rely on a single modder who made a tool to get mods up and running. When they fuck off, and an update comes out. The whole community dies. It is the same thing here. Alpha is gone. His life has obviously left him with no time to update the tool, and as a result, our only options are a Beta branch, that will probably be nuked soon enough too. Or pirating the game. As, the talent just doesn't exist to take over his tool and update it, OR, people who do have the talent, just don't give two shits about nude mods for an aging game.

Edited by Hakufu1021

One thing that may or may not be related, Im running 813 and i had mix of 3 or 4 mods installled and after the "update" the game just kept crashing…  changed to DX11, no more crashing… so thats that.

Then i just copied an older tiger file backup i had with only the red bikini mod installed and that works so far with DX12 and therefore much better performance (i have a 3070 but the game still runs like shit for me with DX11 lol)

So its maybe two things, DX12 makes it crash, but with newly installed mod(s) that doesn't seem to be a problem .

Kinda weird?

Edited by XOBOXOXBOX