Looking for a space rpg game ...

jojozityjo

I'm looking for a spaceship type of game, but not like the basic, just have a spaceship and go blow stuff up. I'd like one where you can gain and lose crew, and maybe, position the crew inside the ship as you explore and such, and handle situations as they come. As you do, the crew can like, gain experience, in whatever they do, so the more they do something, like, handle weapons, the better they are with weapons, and the better your ship and any weapons it has is.

Something like Faster Than Light, if any of you have played it, but, FTL is a one stop game though, you play it from point A to point B and then reset everything all over again, every time. I want something more lasting, more, story or adventure driven so the exp i gain on my crew and upgrades i gain to my ship arent all gone every hour and have to start from scratch again x.x

anyone know of a game like that?

There are some old Star Trek games as far as I know; they might suit your taste. Can't give you any names though, I just remember that there was something like that in good ol' days, where my elder brother used to play them.

There are some old Star Trek games as far as I know; they might suit your taste. Can't give you any names though, I just remember that there was something like that in good ol' days, where my elder brother used to play them.

Star Trek: Starfleet Command III

That doesn't seem to have the crew part i was talking of, just the basic, here's your ship, this is all you get.

I'd like customizable ships as well as customizable crew that could possibly gain exp from using certain systems enough. Or at this point, any kind of crew management within the ship would be nice, like hiring new crew members or firing old ones, etc.

and, preferably something non StarTrek, cause, usually startrek means i have to use the Enterprise when i'd rather not use that ship, but, if i must, i will, if it suits my desires.

Actually crew do get experience, there is person for each system.

I don't think that there is any game as ftl, well there is one but it is app for phones.

X Rebirth may be one but still this game is a big unknown.

There are none really, Infinite Space for the DS kind of gives you the felling of the interior of a starship and is the only RPG I can think of, check some videos to get a sense of the game play but I really recommend it, Star Trek Bridge Commander puts you in the Captain's chair and let's you see the cockpit with all the captains around and you can even click them to get alert status, scanning etc... and you can control the ship with WASD if I recall correctly, but at it's core it's really a real time strategy game that  has a little more immersion that a game like Nexus: Neptune Incident check that one out too it may interest you.

Star Control 2 is very old but it has that Dune like storytelling and mechanics that old games used to have it may give you some of that spaceship immersion if you can tolerate old graphics, and Space Rangers is a top down turn based space shooter which doesn't give you anything inside the cockpit but it has some interesting mechanics going on.

Freespace is a very good 3D space shooter and Freelancer has interesting game play elements besides shooting down other ships and it's a free roaming game as are the X series games latest one is X3 beautiful game that will run on most modern PC's you trade you shoot your way to capital class ships and build starbases to get more trading going, mechanically X2 is a better game tough.

That's all the space games I can think of, they aren't you're looking for but hey give them a shot.

I've really wanted this kind of game myself but my search has met with little success.

Star Command held some promise, but apparently it turned out to be shallower than FTL and it's only an iphone app so screw that.

If you don't mind MMOs, Star Trek Online is sort of like that, vith various ships, customisable bridge crew and such.

Downsides are, well, it's an MMO, it has microtransactions for absolutely everything and is run by colossal idiots.

of the games you listed AngryBird, that X2/3 seemed much closer to what id like, not exact, but, pretty dang close and seemed like something i could get into, but sadly i have to buy it which, at this time i really cant afford lol

i'll stick one of them on my steam wishlist for now though ^^

seems to be a lot of versions of X3 though, kinda confusing whats what lol

i dont mind mmo's though leddis, though if the community is nothing but idiots and there is pvp stuff aloud to the point i cant really get my game going due to idiots and jerks, id rather not tempt it lol

Well there's a lot to do in STO that doesn't involve interacting with anyone, and you don't have to pvp.

The endgame group stuff can be fun but there are a fair amount of idiots and trolls.

Speaking of the X games, I've only ever played X2: The Threat and became exasperated at the constant boring cutscenes with that hideous big chinned guy. Apparently the game became more sandboxy later on but I couldn't be bothered to play through the dull story to get that far.

Is X3 better in that regard?

Edit: Oh and I can't believe I forgot this, there's Kinetic Void. It's more focused on ship building than crew but has potential.

It's in very early beta at the moment though.

Hmm. Well, this isn't a space game, but, the way you said you were focused on the crew aspect of what you were looking for, makes me want to recommend XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Because holy shit do you get attached to your soldiers, at least I do. Technically, you can name them whatever you want, and give them your own nicknames, but I like to leave them as they are. Once they get a few ranks higher, they get a nickname, and I personally like to think of little backstory of why they got it, give them personallity... and damn, does it fucking suck to loose them, when you are playing on ironman (no loading previous saves) mode. There is even a memorial of fallen soldiers, that gets bigger as more die... T_T So yeah, if you like being attached to your units, XCOM, although not a space game, is certainly sci-fi. And there is a small part of the game that involves dog fighting with alien space craft, but it is VERY small, as in, you just watch the two units fight in around one minute, in a little representation. I don't mind it, but I don't want you to get the wrong idea, hah. And I still find it cool, just seeing my fighter launch, and take down (or not) the UFO.

of the games you listed AngryBird, that X2/3 seemed much closer to what id like, not exact, but, pretty dang close and seemed like something i could get into, but sadly i have to buy it which, at this time i really cant afford lol

i'll stick one of them on my steam wishlist for now though ^^

seems to be a lot of versions of X3 though, kinda confusing whats what lol

The X3 games are all stand alone expansions, in the same universe with small differences that generally you wouldn't even notice if you aren't familiar with the games. Reunion, Terran Conflict and Albion by order of release. Terran Conflict feels the most complete to me, Albion has more ships and systems but the lore of the universe, so to say, is changing to get ready for the next game in the series. Don't know about Reunion, it was the most bugged out when it came out don't know about now since I don't own it.

Keep in mind that X3 is very much the definition of a sandbox game they give you the tools and you play around with them, the story is very weak and the missions aren't that good, X2 was better in that regard and it felt more alive, I didn't play much of it back in 04 since it was an hard game to get into but that's the impression I got.

x3 also has no cockpit view but the mods fix that, the mod community for the X games is excellent to say the least, and they have some crazy stuff going on a stock exchange mod for example, crazy stuff.

i guess i could stick both X2 and 3 on my steam wishlist, X2 would be easier to get. I do tend to like a good story but sometimes i just want gameplay, like with this lol

and the xcom thing, i checked out some video's of it and while it seems nice, it's not quite for me. How the system with turn based is set up is a lil offputting for me lol

X3 is a bit shallow, you can literally see scripts working on. It just felt like there is only you and army of AI around you, also I was missing a static or comm chatter, it was just to silent for me. That's why I'm waiting for Rebirth with anticipation, It is a bit disappointing that there will be only one spaceship but damn, you can walk in it :D

i guess i could stick both X2 and 3 on my steam wishlist, X2 would be easier to get. I do tend to like a good story but sometimes i just want gameplay, like with this lol

and the xcom thing, i checked out some video's of it and while it seems nice, it's not quite for me. How the system with turn based is set up is a lil offputting for me lol

XCOM is quite fun, and turned based is great if you give it half a chance.

On the other hand if you prefer real time and don't mind graphics from over a decade ago you could give X-COM: Apocalypse a try. It has similar people and base management only centering around one futuristic city.

If the company who created it still exist my favorite space game was Edge of chaos independence war 2. it was the only one so far who got realistic physics when flying around not like the quick stop when hitting the backspace button like X series was. Not sure how this game evolved since it used to have a major modding community.

@Windpl: im still a lil confused on the X series, when you say X3, do you mean X3:Terrain Conflict? Cause it's the title i was seeing the most of and it looked okay to me, i like the spaceship changing and upgrading and the trade systems it had.

@leddis3: oh i do enjoy turn based games, it's just how xcom looked and played was a bit, ... meh .. for me, of my other choices people have showed me, id rather try them first if i could lol

@Garret76: You make Evochron Mercenary sound exactly like what im looking for o.o

i looked up a quick video and didnt see any char development in it, but it did look good, ima keep searching on it but for now it seems promising.

@Windpl: im still a lil confused on the X series, when you say X3, do you mean X3:Terrain Conflict? Cause it's the title i was seeing the most of and it looked okay to me, i like the spaceship changing and upgrading and the trade systems it had.

@Garret76: You make Evochron Mercenary sound exactly like what im looking for o.o

i looked up a quick video and didnt see any char development in it, but it did look good, ima keep searching on it but for now it seems promising.

X3 games(Reunion, Terran Conflict, Albion) are stand alone games but they have exactly the same interface, mechanics and looks with maybe minor tweaks, differences are on the number of sectors, ships, weapons, missions and maybe minor mechanic changes in trading and such. Think of it as different episodes in the same universe even if the story is scarce, Reunion: The Earth sectors reunite with the other alien species, Terran Conflict: Relations start to tense between Humans and the other aliens, Albion: Full out war.

I would only get one of the X3 games since the story is weak and you can just read the wiki for that or you could wait for a pack promotion which will happen sooner or later, to get other opinions on which to get just type "Albion vs Terran Conflict"  and check what other people say, I prefer TC because the Universe is more stable.

Indeed :D

X3 series are good games but as I said, it is hard to immerse myself in it.

Yeah you have to put your imagination to work it's like playing a grand strategy game from Paradox, when you're telling about the game it all sounds super awesome (and it really is) but to some people it's just a bunch of numbers and basic graphics on a screen.

Nothing beats going trough a sector with thousands of slaves in your cargo hold and having the sector police telling you stop only to see them squashed on your hull, oops.

It's been a while since the last time i played Freelancer. Going to play it again :D

First time you're in a warp tunnel and bandits turn it off to try and get you is pretty awesome.

Archived