Sims 3 skin quality question + comparision

4 minutes ago, wapitawg said:

I think you could do that. The game barely touches a GPU, even with higher-res textures (but my advice is to not go higher than 2048x2048). It's more CPU-heavy and it mostly CTDs while exceeding its hard RAM limits (realistically around 3,75GB). But unofficial patches (and NRAAS mods should be considered as unofficial patches) can greatly help with that, making the game playable.

And if you want to limit your system's GPU usage and thus, temperature, you should cap game's FPS at 60. There no benefits of going higher and The Sims 3 have no built-in limiters, so it just burns thorough any resources it can.

I am still trying to fix my actual card which is a Radeon RX 480. Last time my screen went dark. Even with new cpu paste. I do not have much hope. But yes, perhaps it is possible even with my current low end card. The game itself is quite low end now.

I will check and see if this is something the card can handle.

7 minutes ago, wutpickel said:

I am still trying to fix my actual card which is a Radeon RX 480. Last time my screen went dark. Even with new cpu paste. I do not have much hope. But yes, perhaps it is possible even with my current low end card. The game itself is quite low end now.

I will check and see if this is something the card can handle.

The thermal paste doesn't have anything to do with this kind of issues. It's only about the temperature. Once the microcomponents are dead, they stay dead. But maybe they aren't. There's a procedure called GPU baking. It's risky, but it can re-solder GPU components back (if that's the issue and it often is). It didn't help my 4xx series NVidia card but maybe it's worth a shot in your case.

53 minutes ago, wapitawg said:

The thermal paste doesn't have anything to do with this kind of issues. It's only about the temperature. Once the microcomponents are dead, they stay dead. But maybe they aren't. There's a procedure called GPU baking. It's risky, but it can re-solder GPU components back (if that's the issue and it often is). It didn't help my 4xx series NVidia card but maybe it's worth a shot in your case.

Well, it started out a couple of month ago with stuttering. So i took my card apart and replaced the paste and cleaned the card. This actually helped. Now, the card had other issues. aka black screen. I read somewhere that AMD cards have a black screen bug. So i will put it back in and test if i can solve that in hope it is the bug.

But considering that the card is now 7 years old, it is probably expected that something fails. So i have not exactly high hopes. More a wish actually.

I was lucky that i kept the old card. Never know when you need it.

But with the current situation, i doubt i will buy a new card anytime soon. As long as this card works i am ok. Of course, can not play anything new, but thats ok. Sims is relatively less demanding as far as GPU goes.

Yes, baking. I heard about it. But i have to check the card if there are any breakage in the lines. No worries. Sooner or later these things happen.

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2021 at 12:12 PM, landess said:

> Be aware - once one makes these changes, it will expose any low quality textures/CC one already has installed. 

that was exactly the issue, in the end.

so, i returned the settings to their defaults

makes for better screen shots and game play is ok, overall

edo-nouveau.jpg.b21498311cbb863676fd3ab4f61bbc11.jpg

example of what i do with sreenshots

this is elisa nagasena, member of the band, frederick.

ala., patty smith's track

elisa and her band mates, inspire the many tracks i compose.

so, i, like to see them without the chicken pox.

:)