Skyrim VR with DD/DCL is probably the first and last of its kind

As bethesda annonced yet another rerererelease of skyrim, I couldn't help but think how they may never be something similar ever again.

Since Morrowind, TES is a bit unique in the gaming world: I can't think of any other game that managed to get both mass appeal and built in powerful/easy to use officially supported modding tool.

This is not likely to continue under Microsoft. Even if some sort of modding still get possible and supported, I don't see it being at the same scale of what we have for TES 3, 4 and 5. If they include multiplayer with anti-tampering/cheating, there is no way you'd be able to run something like OBSE or SKSE.

And even if by some miracle we get to keep the ease of moding, it's also pretty unlikely TES6 will get VR. Sure, Bethesda gave us 3 VR title, with Skyrim being the more polished of the 3. But the VR port of Skyrim is pretty much abandonned now, and none of their new games since had VR. Whoever or whichever team at Bethesda pushed for VR seem to have been pushed aside.

Plus, let's be honest: we are sort of tolerated by Bethesda and Microsoft because the game is oldish and we  are relatively hidden, plus everything is a bit complex to install and use so the general non-nerd public would get discouraged to try. But we are a PR nightmare waiting to happen for them. Imagine if some news media started talking about what we do, what a shitstorm it'd be for them. "Microsoft makes a video game FOR CHILDREN where you can RAPE AND TORTURE". You can be sure they'd only take the most extreme example. As a matter of fact, we're probably being left alone by MS/Bethesda only because they are worried about a streissand effect. But they'd sure limit our ability to reproduce what we're doing here on their next games.

So what we have is here precious. Let's make sure to be extra extra nice to all the content creators here, because it might be the very last time we get something like that.

• 2 weeks later...

You paint a frightening picture!

I have been playing around with computers at very much a novice level since 2000.

HTML, some very basic scripting, did a cert3 in IT.

Never found anything interesting enough to me personally to get serious about it.

Then I discovered VR.

Learnt more in the last 2 years than in the previous 20.

Not a gamer just love VR and being able to indirectly and even directly create the reality I experience means a lot to me.

Gaming will never be mainstream but AR will be and VR likely to?

When that happens all the various genres we enjoy in video's and movies will be available to people.

In the meantime we have modding.

Frankly I think it's criminal to attempt to prevent people from customizing the games on their PC's.

Buying a game does not give the games creator legal possession of the purchasers computer?

Of their personal private property and people clearly have the right to decide how they use their own property so long as they are not damaging other people any imposed control beyond that is abusive repression.

Well do I know how people love to conflate these issues to hide such abuse.