Ridiculous spike damage

I use Lore Worthy Bandits + Better Low Level Enemies + Organized Bandits in Skyrim + Enemies Variation Wenches = up to 6-8 mobs wailing on you at the same time (not counting mobs that can summon minions) and any Chaurus. You fight enemies that do a moderate amount of damage and then somehow the game just steamrolls you out of nowhere. Went through the Markarth Dwemer ruins just fine taking less then 100 damage from ANYTHING. I leave Markarth and then get jumped by Hired Thugs and one does over 500 damage through almost 600 armor on Ultimate difficulty.

do you use Ordinator perhaps?

simple fact is, at high difficulties, with extra damage perks, its easy to get a few stacked multiples that cause damage to skyrocket to truly insane values. the extra damage perks i find particularly annoying because of they coarse granularity. pretty much only increases damage in steps of 50-100%.

the only one of those mods that i use - and i definitely still sometimes get this problem - is OBIS. the bandit conquerors and duelists basically only ever 1-shot. i had to do a lot of digging through the guts of the game, tweaking perk values, to get that to stop.

No Ordinator. Also have a mod that gives Argonians extra unarmed damage (lvl1 unarmed Argonian Bandit doing over 100 damage against lvl5 player char with 150-200 armor lol. I use Smart Cast which allows for auto-casting of set spells (Alteration skin spells for extra armor and fast healing to stay topped up). That hired Thug one shot me from 100% HP despite almost 600 armor and like 540HP (only lvl31 too lol).