Sensible head bob/stabilization in 1st person view?

Just installed Immersive First Person View and it's great to be able to see your feet, and not feel 5 inches shorter than you actually are - it really changes how things feel imo, makes more sense to mod rather than change height. (Now I wonder how women get used to being way shorter than everyone else... It must feel strange...) But the mod adds head bob as well as height decrease when you start moving or draw your weapons because you crouch a little. It feels really strange to me and there's no option in the mod to fix it, especially the height change during start/stop.

I think the problem can be addressed by automatically compensating for aim depending on the distance of the object in focus. This must be possible since ENB already checks for distance in DOF. This will prevent the object in focus from being shifted out of view due to small movements, while preserving head bob which will show in the swaying of the background. Gliding is not great unless you're playing counter-strike, but it seems to me that the movement compensation should be there because that's probably how we work - hence why we don't get motion sickness just walking around? The movement is pretty predictable so calculating aim offset (on Y-axis only) shouldn't be that hard. Is there an existing mod for this or an easy way to add it? Not sure if any newer RPG games have it

Edited by notInterestedInFun
  • notInterestedInFun changed the title to Sensible head bob/stabilization in 1st person view?

Also, at least for the IFPV mod, side to side movement also causes jerking in camera view. Try strafing left and right (not something you'd do in RPG maybe? But in FPS games is common), lots of weird "teleport" feely stuff. 

Edit: Found this in a reddit post https://youtu.be/_7GG0y8Jmcs?t=12m, explanation from another video game studio on how they did it. Pretty much the exact same problem here, except we only have the "head stabilization issue". In the video the engineer says that the kind of "aim compensation" I mentioned is too hard to implement, instead they just took away head bobbing. I'm not sure if it's because they already had to compensate for random head rotation in their more advanced body animations. In our case, I believe it's just the vertical noise on the z-axis stemming from player height changes - translation in camera Z position - while in motion that needs to be compensated. 

The solution shouldn't be as hard as the video suggests since we don't need a full "aim assist" that compensates for aim, say, while strafing - we seem to adapt to this type of gameplay pretty well without motion sickness, perhaps because we're also controlling movement directions (A = look right, D = look left, something that you have to be very, very good at if you've played games like CS 1.6). But the head bobbing in the z-axis is not controlled by player thus probably much harder to compensate for, also the frequency of change in movement direction is just too much. 

So, all we seem to need is stabilization on one axis for head translations caused by walking/running animation only. General horizontal (xy-plane) noise is handled by player, and the vertical movement from running up and down stairs doesn't need compensation - if we run on really bumpy ground, I'm pretty sure we'll all get terrible motion sickness, but the game terrain is mostly smooth so we can make do without. 

The solution then could just be some kind of testing/analysis of SSE movement animations, particularly the z-axis translation on the head skeleton/camera. And use a script to offset the oscillations. Does this make sense from a technical perspective?

Edited by notInterestedInFun
  • 3 weeks later...

use skytweak or something to disable auto aim (who uses archery anyways? its buggy and stupidly op)

as for all things ifp

the reason it switches is because auto profiles.

just disable them by setting it to false eg (bWeaponOut==true) change to (bWeaponOut==false)

this will stop the auto cam switching when readying weapons.

also you can easily adjust the cam pos, I use this for normal running and and SL anims 

;+set fRotationFromHead 1
;+set fExtraRotationFromCamera 1
;+set fRestrictAngleHorizontal 70
;+set fRestrictAngleVertical 50
;+set fPositionOffsetHorizontal 0
;+set fPositionOffsetVertical 0.5
;+set fPositionOffsetDepth 0.2
;+set bHeadtrack true
;+set fNearClip 0.001

Oh i almost forgot.

the stability that you're looking for its not really ifp fault.

try using different archery animations.

This will really help you.

Edited by -alpha-