Monli, what happened?

Guest hcksey

well I hope he will allow it to be re uploaded I mean what do's he gain or lose by it being out there? nothing he's not getting paid money or loseing money nor is it copyright procted

Exactly, the damage if any is already done. Personally if I was Seren I would just let Psyco continue what he or she is doing.

After all Psyco got permission from the author of Monli so technically they have got permission to create the race. If it does turn out to be a edited version of the Ashen race well meh, just let them continue or EVEN BETTER help them with it and release it on the Nexus together.

To be honest you should be greatful people want to use your work. Getting someone to take a race down because it looks like "a direct copy" without providing any sort of proof is not going to help you. To be honest it is the first step to making users dislike you, considering it's been over 2 months since the mod was posted.

This post is however my own opinion.

Replies to my first post, I was just posting what a user commented on Seren's race on the Nexus - I don't believe it personally and since things have been sorted out now I don't think I need to go into further detail about it.

However, technically, even though Psyco got permission from the Monli creator, did the Monli creator get permission to pass along the mod? If Seren wasn't informed of the mod being under a new creator and give said creator the same permissions or more from the previous then I think it's within their right to give them a Cease and Desist, but I only know about Copyrights when it comes to digital art not so much works of this magnitude but I'm sure they looked into this before going along with what they did. Personally I don't think it was the right move as they are also here and should know just by looking at the mods thread that it is fairly popular with users here and should keep and "moral" perspective out of their decision on whether or not it should stay.

If it's an edited version of Ashen then it is a HIGHLY edited version seeing as the Ashen and Monli races look NOTHING alike.

There is an old business practice called Reverse Engineering where a company examines their competitors product and produces their own version of the product with enough changes and improvements that they can not be sued for patent infringement (assuming the items is patented).

Another Example, The only reason Windows is around today is because Bill Gates won a case where in IBM sued him for releasing DOS which they claimed was a direct copy of the program Gates had worked on while he was employed at IBM, The courts determined it was similar but it was not a direct copy and dismissed the case.

I look at modding the same way if enough of it has been changed that it can not be recognized as the original then it is something completely new. However, I do believe in giving the original author due credit as a formality and out of respect.

Why Cant People Just Get Along .... Seren Has Been A Member Here Since 2011 Did He Not See The Monli Race All This Time ? Monli Race Has Been On This Forum

For Months It Was One Of The First Race Mods I Used After I Got Skyrim  ...

Guest hcksey

Hey guys Seren responded to a lot of accusations in the original Monli thread. I'ts my understanding that Seren asked Psycho to take it down until he can fix the incompatiblity between the two mods at the moment. Thanks for all the great discussion. I mistakenly set up this thread to discuss the removal of the monli mod AND my own problems with trying to play a monli vampire. If anyone has any input on the second point I would be exremetly grateful.

Either way if there is an incompatibility between the two that is not a valid reason to have it removed completely. all that need be done is for both of them to place a notice stating that the two mods are not currently compatible and let the user decide which mod he would rather have.

Another Example, The only reason Windows is around today is because Bill Gates won a case where in IBM sued him for releasing DOS which they claimed was a direct copy of the program Gates had worked on while he was employed at IBM, The courts determined it was similar but it was not a direct copy and dismissed the case.

I don't know where you learned that but it's a made up story because Bill Gates never worked for IBM and in fact IBM approached his company to develop the DOS OS for their secret PC project. BG cast around and then bought a CP/M clone OS from another guy and developed that into the original version of DOS. One of the amusing and ironic things about the whole DOS, OS/2, Windows and NT saga is that for most of those years BG wanted to get OUT of the OS business.

Completely off-topic but when you see something said and you know better sometimes you just have to challenge it. There were some suits filed but nothing like what you said.

oh boy. sounds like a "misinformed" teacher.

Don't know it was in the book but I'm not to proud to admit it has been quite a few years since I took that course so I might have a few of the details wrong and lets face it inaccurate books is not something new in the world of Academia. 

After clearing up some misunderstanding, Seren advises to make some name changes with the files and records to avoid compatibility issues with the Ashen and Ningheim races.  The Monli race will return soon.

So in the meantime, if you have the Monli race, any version, do not install with any of Seren's races.

Don't know it was in the book but I'm not to proud to admit it has been quite a few years since I took that course so I might have a few of the details wrong and lets face it inaccurate books is not something new in the world of Academia.

Frankly there were some serious haters out there making up all sorts of crap. It's not like there weren't plenty of reasons to be upset without making up out and out lies but the haters will do what haters do.

Don't believe everything you read.

I don't understand the permission system that clearly, i mean, if you put it up on the web you don't have that right anymore since you put it up for everyone to have. ??????

Well another issue making us closer to nexus lol. jk

• 2 months later...

Hey guys I came here today to see if there was any vampire support for the monli custom race. Whenever I turn into a vampire my character turns into a normal sized person.

Anyways when I found the thread for the monli race, I found this: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/14711-no-longer-available-monli-race-v3-enhanced/

What happend? Why is the monli race no longer available as of today?

It wasn't the most popular custom race, but it was heavily used in the loliworld mod, which has a small following.

The only information given by the maker as to why the mod was removed can be seen below.

The Monli v3 Enhanced will no longer be available.  I have been contacted by by Seren4XX, the creator of the Ashen race, and I must remove all files and links.  My apologies to Seren4XX.

Is the monli custom race really that similar to the Ashen race?

i found a link to a working mod for monli http://www.4shared.com/get/-OwPoppb/monli_race_v3_enhanced.html

Hey guys I came here today to see if there was any vampire support for the monli custom race. Whenever I turn into a vampire my character turns into a normal sized person.

Anyways when I found the thread for the monli race, I found this: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/14711-no-longer-available-monli-race-v3-enhanced/

What happend? Why is the monli race no longer available as of today?

It wasn't the most popular custom race, but it was heavily used in the loliworld mod, which has a small following.

The only information given by the maker as to why the mod was removed can be seen below.

The Monli v3 Enhanced will no longer be available.  I have been contacted by by Seren4XX, the creator of the Ashen race, and I must remove all files and links.  My apologies to Seren4XX.

Is the monli custom race really that similar to the Ashen race?

i found a link to a working mod for monli http://www.4shared.com/get/-OwPoppb/monli_race_v3_enhanced.html

yes it works and all you need to do is make a fast free account with no offers and hit download, as simple as that.

this is if you want the elin race as well for a bonus and the monli, and yes

PsychoMachina does have credit for some of the links i was able to find, and i thank her for that, so if you want to find a bit more stuff check her stuff out :) :)

monli race v3 enhanced.7z

ElinRace Main-Sky1.8-2013Feb24.7z

ElinRace CBBE Pack-2013Feb24.7z

ElinRace Hairs_Apachii 1.5.7z

ElinRace Hairs-R-I-N.7z

ElinRace Main-Sky1.8-2013Feb24.7z

elinrace unp pack-2013feb24.7z

2013Aug01-FIX-UNP_Unified-TexturePath.7z

2013July03-LiLMonli_UNP Texture Sets-Installer.7z

2013July25-LiLMonli_v4_4-Installer.7z

2013July26-FIX-Dawnguard_BoltQuivers.7z

2013July29-OPTIONS-Monli_v2_1_Textures.7z

post-195536-0-15984700-1376105718_thumb.jpg

@darkfox90210

I have to ask, why are you reuploading my files here when anyone and everyone can download them from my posts.

Little Monli

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/18120-update-2013-august-01-little-monli-race/

Tera Elin Race

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/20121-update-tera-body-amors-tera-elin-race/

sorry about that but sometimes you never know when they dont work, so im just taking a precaution, some of the files i had to get somewhere else cause the link was dead.

I don't think monli has anything to do with other race mod, at lest the original monli race (v1 and v2), I am using monli v2 myself, which is made by ning999.

If u want to use monli race, I still suggest using v2, which is by far the best race mod to make loli characters, works fine with ECE and racemenu, u may need to tweak the body or the face texture a bit.

• 1 month later...

I think you will find the Monli race was a modified version of the Ashen race and used the Ashen  mesh or textures as a template. As such Psyco most likely used the race without permission and Seren found out.

Seren then has the right to make Psyco "Cease and desist" Monli as a result.

At least that is the only conclusion I can think of.

It was my understanding that Monli used CBBE slim or something like that. I may be misremembering...

Edit: Ohh yeah and if anyone knows what might be wrong with playing a monli vampire, that would be nice. From what I read when you turn into a vampire it changes your race and to have monli vampire there would have to be a race called vampire_monli or something like that.

This is why I don't mod or anything I do make I hardly if ever release all it takes is forgetting to get permission from one person and people go insane like you just killed their dog.

as for the Monli vampires if you open the Monli race in CK it does have a Monli_vampire option.

yeah it gets a little out of hand.. I never understood to process behind having to ask for permission to alter a mod when there not getting money off it, I mean the mod is there out in the open for people to use its basically freeware at that point why do you NEED permission.. I just don't get it it's not like there stealing music or anything.

Cuz, DUDE... pfft you don't get it.

If I release a mod and you want to use it, you'd better ask me for permission because it keeps my dick big. 

I think you will find the Monli race was a modified version of the Ashen race and used the Ashen  mesh or textures as a template. As such Psyco most likely used the race without permission and Seren found out.

Seren then has the right to make Psyco "Cease and desist" Monli as a result.

At least that is the only conclusion I can think of.

It was my understanding that Monli used CBBE slim or something like that. I may be misremembering...

Edit: Ohh yeah and if anyone knows what might be wrong with playing a monli vampire, that would be nice. From what I read when you turn into a vampire it changes your race and to have monli vampire there would have to be a race called vampire_monli or something like that.

This is why I don't mod or anything I do make I hardly if ever release all it takes is forgetting to get permission from one person and people go insane like you just killed their dog.

as for the Monli vampires if you open the Monli race in CK it does have a Monli_vampire option.

yeah it gets a little out of hand.. I never understood to process behind having to ask for permission to alter a mod when there not getting money off it, I mean the mod is there out in the open for people to use its basically freeware at that point why do you NEED permission.. I just don't get it it's not like there stealing music or anything.

I get the "giving credit", people put a lot of time into their mods. But it's starting to get out of control. Modding was fun for morrowind and oblivion but now it's so much work people are starting to take this "hobby" way to seriously IMO.

dude this overpossessive crap goes waay back before morrowind.

back when i was doing maps for quake 3, I made a wood shingle roof texture. It was seamless left to right, and ended at the edge where you could apply an alpha-channel shader so it had a rough edge. I used it once. someone, i have no idea who, asked me

them "that's a cool texture, can i use it?" 

me "dude i don't care, man. just do what you want with it."

that's all i ever heard. for the next several years, i saw that texture in maps and mods and in several commercial games. First time I saw it I was like "Dude what! Wife-person! Cumere lookadis!" I knew it was mine because it wasn't a perfect texture and I knew exactly where to look for the anomalies.  Some of my pals at the time were like "weren't you pissed that you didn't get credit or better yet paid?"

And? So what. Someone got some use out of it. Hooray. That texture helped people have fun. Isn't that the point? people having fun? other than that, who fucking cares.

Archived