Monli, what happened?

Guest hcksey

I don't see the problem with giving credit to the original creator if you modify his work, it should be the first thing that comes to mind.

Now if someone takes your work, modifies it and doesn't give you credit or asks for permission to use it, I think you have the right to be pissed about that, but if people seem to be enjoying this unintentional "joint venture", shouldn't you be just happy that people still enjoy it? It's still partly your work and you should be proud of that.

Not everyone will know, that you are partly responsible for the fun they are having, but if getting credit for your effort is the most important thing for you, than I dare to say you have the wrong intentions. If you force the guy who put your modified work up to take it down you may be hurting him, but also the people who are using it, since there will be no improvements done if necessary and the people who might have stumbled upon the work in the future, if it was still there.

And I'm not targeting someone specific with the "you" in the stuff written before, so please don't feel attacked, whoever "you" might be ;)

Now if someone takes your work, modifies it and doesn't give you credit or asks for permission to use it, I think you have the right to be pissed about that, but if people seem to be enjoying this unintentional "joint venture", shouldn't you be just happy that people still enjoy it? It's still partly your work and you should be proud of that.

I dunno about "pissed" but definitely warrants a poke "hey how about credit and a link-back?"

At that point if the derivative author refuses or worse, then I guess it's time to pull out the guns IMO. But i'll bet those occurrences are few and far between.

Is it mean to state my opinion when I say: "Whewww! Thank 'God' this hedious race was removed from existance!"?

I don't see how any "loli" fan even remotely liked this mod ... jiitek's is a million times better (opinion again?) and doesn't sport super deformed faces and Joan Rivers like qualities. Monli looked like she just came out of a horrid botox session or had tumors in her face.

That said - should have gotten permission. WTF be wrong with people?

The Monli is still around and doing fine.  http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/241-version-45c-fixed-little-monli-race/

FYI, whoever originally created the Monli race used the Ashen race.  I got Seren's permission to keep the Monli here provided I remove any reference to the Ashen Oriental race (kept his name and Radioraggae as the authors).  So it's all good.

@honesty

Am I being mean when I say, "WTF?!"

post-64505-0-75152900-1380506640_thumb.jpgpost-64505-0-24201600-1380506640_thumb.jpg

yeah it gets a little out of hand.. I never understood to process behind having to ask for permission to alter a mod when there not getting money off it, I mean the mod is there out in the open for people to use its basically freeware at that point why do you NEED permission.. I just don't get it it's not like there stealing music or anything.

I agree 100%. It's the same as if I released one of my music tracks for free, and then said " You can listen to this as much as you like, and sing along with it, but you had better not sing it in front of anybody else! ". Nexus is just a dick for " respect ", oh ya I respect anyone who wants to bitch about something they PUT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN. ...... NOT.

I get the "giving credit", people put a lot of time into their mods. But it's starting to get out of control. Modding was fun for morrowind and oblivion but now it's so much work people are starting to take this "hobby" way to seriously IMO.

Credit for a straight asset is most assuredly reasonable, even if you DON'T need it. I released in my Celestials mod the Aradia armor almost exactly as it was, the only thing I did was broke it up into parts, changed the alpha and shaders on it ( I "fixed" it to be exact ), and made it compatible with Celestials. HOWEVER, I asked not only permission from Aradia themselves first, but also asked b3lisario's permission to use the UNP conversion he did as well, EVEN THOUGH IT WASN'T THEIRS IN THE FIRST PLACE. Respect is one thing, bending over backwards and still getting nowhere, even when you are NOT obligated to, is another.

I don't think that race controller script maters tho cuz anyone can name the race controller script what they want if that's not allowed then its like saying u cant name your child bill cuz theres already someone named bill lol

RaceController for RaceCompatibility is open sourced, and as such does not need permission to use for any custom race. All custom races should be using a RaceController script, or else your race won't work right! The author only asks that you tell them you used it so he can link the race on the mod page, however I can't, since I can't upload my race mod to Nexus because I'm using assets they say I'm not allowed to.

If it's an edited version of Ashen then it is a HIGHLY edited version seeing as the Ashen and Monli races look NOTHING alike.

There is an old business practice called Reverse Engineering where a company examines their competitors product and produces their own version of the product with enough changes and improvements that they can not be sued for patent infringement (assuming the items is patented).

Another Example, The only reason Windows is around today is because Bill Gates won a case where in IBM sued him for releasing DOS which they claimed was a direct copy of the program Gates had worked on while he was employed at IBM, The courts determined it was similar but it was not a direct copy and dismissed the case.

I look at modding the same way if enough of it has been changed that it can not be recognized as the original then it is something completely new. However, I do believe in giving the original author due credit as a formality and out of respect.

When I FIRST began work on Celestials, I started with the Matera Race, just to learn what was already done and how they went about it. Seems to me the original author of Monli did the same thing. I however, remade the mod from the ground up after learning what I needed to. We all have to start someplace when we learn something new. Bitching about how someone used "THEIR MOD" to learn is a truly dick ass move. My race mod has so surpassed Matera it's not even funny, so to say I " copied " it would be completely laughable.

My 2 cents.

Archived