Skyrim SSD

OK , i didnt have see any thread like this here and i not want re-up an very old thread ^^

i just have an little question :

i think instal skyrim in the SSD (for little boost ^^ )

but do i need install the OS in the SSD ? can i let the OS in the "normal" HDD and install only skyrim in the SSD ?

steam allow me (and you) to install the game in any HDD with create an new steam library in the target new HDD, so i think install skyrim in the SSD, only skyrim, no other game (skyrim is the most biggest game i have with all the mod)

in internet i see only people talk about install OS in the SSD, but nothing about know if its really an obligation to install the OS too

thanks for people help me with this headhache question ^^

I have myself a 'small' SSD of 128gb, I installed only my system and Skyrim on it (while I dont play only Skyrim), the boost was instant and welcome especially when you are using an autosave mod and ENB.

A fully modded Skyrim is about 30GB with HD textures, DLC and all so 128GB will give you plenty enough for system + Skyrim.

Also I would find it pretty dumb not to use the SSD for the system, believe me starting your computer and be able to browse Loverlabs in less than 15 sec is quite nice not counting every other program launching almost instantly :)

yeah i think buy an 128Go SSD ^^

ok so i think i install the OS in the SSD then, shouldnt be a problem ^^ and i have see "never defrag an SSD" .. thast a good things too i suppose ^^

thanks for your answer ^^  i just take the SSD for boost skyrim :P but if this can boost the all pc without problem , its all good ^^

actually my skyrim make 35Go ^^

I run on a Samsung 840 250 gig SSD with my O/S and Skyrim/Fallout NV/Oblivion. That runs about 100 gig with a few extra programs I use. Got it on sale at Newegg for $160 U.S. Just un-fucking-believable how fast it runs. I have a second Samsung 250 SSD I'll probable use for some other games, see how they run.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-recommendation-benchmark,3269-6.html

I generally stay away from Intel if at all possible. SanDisk products have never let me down, but I would still worry! If you can find one, the Samsung 830 pro has dropped a lot in price, they've phased it out with the newer 840/840 pro but the non pro can't keep up with the 830. Either that or a sturdy Crucial M4, Not quite as fast as the newer drives, but runs for years with no complaints.

Kingston SSDNow are about the best value for money these days, Corsair makes great SSD also, Intel SSD despite what Bootaka said are usually very good also.

Even OCZ made great progress on latest models....

While it is good to see which SSD performs the best keep in mind that any SSD will incredibly boost your PC because the access time is always almost instant, the R/W speed is not that important unless you are moving files from one SSD to another.

Of course if you can afford a newer SSD, go for the fastest one but would be better IMHO to buy an older 128gb than a newer 60gb.

I am quite happy with my Corsair Force GT 120gb, never had trouble with it after a year and it is fast, it really changed the whole PC behavior.

A 32GB SanDisk SSD here costs about 2300Pesos($56) and an INTEL 60GB SSD about 3500($86)

Is the price right? or should i buy something from other shops? or sites?

That's pretty standard pricing.

They only decrease speed and are only really useful for loading your operating system faster.

To be honest I would just buy a 1 new HDD with the money instead if it going in a desktop, it's a better investment. If your maintain and look after your computers health you won't have any issues with speed. I have 2 HDD and my computer loads in less then 20 secs which is more then a reasonable time considering my computer internal storage is 2TB.

If you are planning on putting a SSD in a laptop don't even bother! It will be a waste of money as your laptop will most likely die after 3 years, 4 if your lucky.

Thinks to remember:

1. The more stuff installed on your computer the longer the booting time.
  2. Defragment your HDD to decrease booting times. NEVER defrag a SSD as it will completely "brick" it making it a expensive paper weight.
  3. Run a program to clean the registry of invalid junk, this is one of the major causes of long boot times.
  4. Processor and RAM must be able to cope with the speed of a SSD. If the processor or RAM can't keep up it's not going to be worth it either.

A 32GB SanDisk SSD here costs about 2300Pesos($56) and an INTEL 60GB SSD about 3500($86)

Is the price right? or should i buy something from other shops? or sites?

That's pretty standard pricing.

They only decrease speed and are only really useful for loading your operating system faster.

To be honest I would just buy a 1 new HDD with the money instead if it going in a desktop, it's a better investment. If your maintain and look after your computers health you won't have any issues with speed. I have 2 HDD and my computer loads in less then 20 secs which is more then a reasonable time considering my computer internal storage is 2TB.

If you are planning on putting a SSD in a laptop don't even bother! It will be a waste of money as your laptop will most likely die after 3 years, 4 if your lucky.

Thinks to remember:

1. The more stuff installed on your computer the longer the booting time.
  2. Defragment your HDD to decrease booting times. NEVER defrag a SSD as it will completely "brick" it making it a expensive paper weight.
  3. Run a program to clean the registry of invalid junk, this is one of the major causes of long boot times.
  4. Processor and RAM must be able to cope with the speed of a SSD. If the processor or RAM can't keep up it's not going to be worth it either.

If a SSD was used only to boot faster it would be pretty useless, it makes everything load faster.

Using a SSD for storage is just plain stupid

Using a SSD in a laptop is actually a great idea as it save up battery (a SSD has really low consumption) and renders it faster.

I personally dont see how a SSD is a worse investment than a HDD, it is the same as saying "instead of buying a graphic card I will buy an extra 8GB of memory" they dont serve the same purpose at all and you can use both, if you compare the speed of a computer equipped with regular HDD to a SSD computer that really means you never had a SSD and again comparing the price of a SSD and a regular HDD is useless as SSD is not meant to store data.

SDD dont render your game graphics better or make you gain FPS unless the games needs to load from HD often

SSD dont replace traditional HDD for storage

SSD dont make your computer more powerful even if it feels faster

SSD dont get hot or make noise

SSD do make the use of your computer smoother

SSD improves the loading times of any given program, mot only boot

SSD are safe to use and most comes with 3 years warranty

Once you tried it you will have hard time to go back to a regular HDD system.

It's best to wait until there is a big sale on, usually for a holiday. I don't know of any coming up but I managed to get this 240GB Intel SSD for $150 on the Black Friday sale, amazing price. Going from a standard hard drive to this is a night and day difference and is well worth the cost. After building my computer I would say the SSD gave me the largest performance boost (even more than going from a 4850 to a 7950).

I've only noticed better loading times. I does not improve fps and graphic rendering in any way. The only games I put on my ssds were sims 3, dragon age, oblivion, and skyrim. The only game still on Intel one is Sims 3, which has the longest loading times of all my heavily modded games.  Takes under 3 minutes to get into the game as opposed to 7+ plus. 6-7 seconds to load hair or clothes opposed to nearly 20 seconds on a 1tb hdd.

Just remember with ssd SHIFT+DELETE its not your friend in most of cases, self experience after messed and deleted almost entire Data folder of skyrim, belive its wipe too faster with ssd, use the trash alwalys *.*

Archived