FUBAR CHANCE! How to add custom Spell Icons. Not using outside replacers

:wacko: This one is probably on the top of the FUCK-ALL-METER list. :wacko:

When I make a mod that gives a special magic effect, I hate using the default 'Script Effect' icon for the spell. If possible, I've made spells give TWO effects.  The first effect would be something inconsequential with a 0 power or duration but with a cool icon.  The second effect is the custom script effect. :cool:

But that's not good enough. Said spells would also deliver some graphic effect, whether it be some aura effect around the target, and/or some missile effect.  However, some spells do NOT need said missile or halo effects, or SHOULD not have said effects.  :weary:

And thus the quandry.  And thus the question...

• Without altering the actual MAGIC EFFECTS entries,....
  • Without the use of REPLACERS, and....
  • Without the use of other mods such as Custom Spell Icons....

:flushed:  How can one actively make a spell, and apply their own unique spell icon for their specific mod?

Your mission should you choose to accept it.  is to discern how and deliver a method to let a mod use its own custom spell icons without outside means and without replacers of any sort.

The best thing I can recommend Is to dive into the magical experience that is the Oblivion magic extender.
https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/31981

It took me a while to learn how to work it, but it allows you to create new magic effects, and in turn, choose icons for those new magic effects.
If you'd like an example of OBME in action, I present to you Av Latta Magicka.
https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/49096

There is no other way to do it without new magic effects.

12 minutes ago, NaamForst said:

The best thing I can recommend Is to dive into the magical experience that is the Oblivion magic extender.
https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/31981

QUOTE: Nexus Mods link...

Mods made for OBME can be loaded even if OBME isn't installed.

This can 'increase' the number of Spell effects.  So can this increase in the Spell Effects be saved and used in a mod for a player/user who does not have OBME installed?  That is, if I use OBME and make such a patch, can I upload it without OBME so a non OBME user gets the benefit?

It admits it conflicts with CUSTOM SPELL ICONS as it uses some of the same techniques, so I need to pose this question.

The answer to your question is no, but...

If your reasoning is that you don't want it to conflict with custom spell icons,
https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/43709

Just grab custom spell icons updated instead.

OBME is definitely worth it. You can easily make new summon spells without any scripting required.
If you need any help using it, I should be able to respond to any questions within 10 hours.

Alas, this is an end user mod that lets 'them' choose their preferred icons, not a developer's mod that lets the developer craft a spell and import their own. And furthermore, it claims that it not only requires a dll (which is not so much a biggie), but requires the user to have MenuQue installed.

This won't do.  I'm trying to do this "Without the use of other mods such as Custom Spell Icons...." . Requiring more mods defeats this.

I think you misunderstood me there, all I was saying was that if the reason you didn't want to use OBME was because of the conflict,  there exists a mod that patches that conflict.

OBME itself should be able to do exactly what you want, (Give unique spell icons to spells that solely run script effects) I've seen it done before.
For example, Cross Goodies - Uncle Cross Hideout does exactly that. The mod has several settings spells that run script effects just like LAPF's settings spells, and Cross Goodies uses OBME to give them unique spell icons.

I know this can be done, I've even used OBME to do it myself.
If you'd like, I can make an example mod with OBME to show you how it works.

Okay, I ran some testing, and I have good news and bad news. I would have gotten this to you sooner, but my internet died, and I had to fix it.

Good news is, giving a spell a unique icon using OBME is very easy.
There's a button for it in the basic spell creator.

spells0.png.1725c891ee58feba8feba2f8a3cc71c7.png

Click on the effect, then.

spells1.png.aa8e4a05ebd937cb82a378c85b4435cb.png

Just pick an icon there.

The bad news is, unique spell icons are not one of the things that work without OBME.
Luckily, you don't actually require that much for them to work.
Here's the files/example mod for you to test.

CustomIconExample.esp

OBME.dll

OBME_CS.dll

TheLetterY.dds

Put the two .dll files into your OBSE/plugins folder, and put the .dds file into your menus/icons/magic folder.
The example mod will add a cheap fireball spell as shown in the above two images sold by edgar vautrine at edgar's discount spells for 5 gold, with the unique magic icon of the .dds file.

11 hours ago, NaamForst said:

Put the two .dll files into your OBSE/plugins folder, and put the .dds file into your ( TEXTURES/)menus/icons/magic folder.
The example mod will add a cheap fireball spell as shown in the above two images sold by edgar vautrine at edgar's discount spells for 5 gold, with the unique magic icon of the .dds file.

Okay, now THIS looks sweet1

My hesitancy was the requirement of the end user requiring an outside mod.  But you example shows that the outside OBME system is not required. Only the two plugin DLL files within the OBSE/Plugins folder from OBME is needed, which is certainly not objectionable.  That, and obviously, the artwork for the icon. :D

Thankies for the headsup.  I guess now we modders can get more creative and STOP USING THE *BLECH* SCRIPT EFFECT ICON ALL THE TIME!

This can now be closed.

On 4/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, LongDukDong said:

Okay, now THIS looks sweet1

My hesitancy was the requirement of the end user requiring an outside mod.  But you example shows that the outside OBME system is not required. Only the two plugin DLL files within the OBSE/Plugins folder from OBME is needed, which is certainly not objectionable.  That, and obviously, the artwork for the icon. :D

Thankies for the headsup.  I guess now we modders can get more creative and STOP USING THE *BLECH* SCRIPT EFFECT ICON ALL THE TIME!

This can now be closed.

You only need the OBME_CS.dll in your the obse/plugins folder , you add the icons and it works ingame WITHOUT the OBME.dll every being in your folder at all.

On 5/3/2021 at 8:11 PM, sunhawken said:

You only need the OBME_CS.dll in your the obse/plugins folder , you add the icons and it works ingame WITHOUT the OBME.dll every being in your folder at all.

Well, I just performed a test.  Both are required.  If either OBME.dll or  OBME_CS.dll are missing, it reverts to the stock icon.  Only if both are present do I have the new icon visible.

EDIT:  Comically, I did not even need to download OBME from Nexus.  The .dll files altered the Magic Settings window within the editor.  Hahaha!!!!

EDIT 2:  Argh.  While the OBME_CS.dll allows you to access the features within the 'EXTENDED' Editor, the altered MAGIC SETTINGS display has a fault.   While using the Construction Set Extended, you cannot graphically see the Icon associated with any of the magic effect themselves.  However, it is NOT altered in the default editor.  So (to any readers), remove the OBME_CS.dll  or use the original (blegh) editor if you want to look through the vanilla magic icons.

DOH.jpg

On 5/6/2021 at 8:54 AM, LongDukDong said:

Well, I just performed a test.  Both are required.  If either  "OBME.dll or  OBME_CS.dll" are missing," it reverts to the stock icon.  Only if both are present do I have the new icon visible.

EDIT:  Comically, I did not even need to download OBME from Nexus.  The .dll files altered the Magic Settings window within the editor.  Hahaha!!!!

EDIT 2:  Argh.  While the OBME_CS.dll allows you to access the features within the 'EXTENDED' Editor, the altered MAGIC SETTINGS display has a fault.   While using the Construction Set Extended, you cannot graphically see the Icon associated with any of the magic effect themselves.  However, it is NOT altered in the default editor.  So (to any readers), remove the OBME_CS.dll  or use the original (blegh) editor if you want to look through the vanilla magic icons.

DOH.jpg

"OBME.dll or  OBME_CS.dll" are missing," ,  That explains it no my side when as I don't' have obme.dll installed at all. I have not tried it without the _cs.dll after making a edit.

OBME does have one problem:

If a scripted spell is cast on an Activator/Container/Door/Furniture, the script is not removed correctly. Vanilla ignores this, but OBME won't load any save made afterward.

There is a Savegame Fixer.

The article also suggests some code to insert into any spells that might be cast on objects.