About the High Resolution Texture Pack DLC...

Currently i am always close to my active plugins limit, therefore searching after mods to merge or throw out. Then i stumbled across the High Res DLC sitting there since a couple of years and taking up 3 ESP slots, which of course is way too much. Since there is a mod on the Nexus called Skyrim HD that replaces a ton of textures with an even higher resolution if you decide so and doesn't take a single ESP slot, can i just install this and get rid of the high res texture pack?

Skyrim HD:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/607/?tab=description

High Res Texture Pack DLC:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/202485/Skyrim_High_Resolution_Texture_Pack_Free_DLC/

Yes but do it the other way round. Move the Hi-Res esps somewhere and then install whichever replacement you choose.

Most (?) people don't bother with the Official Hi-Res packs as there are umpteen better alternatives. Don't go above 2k though or you will likely hammer your game.

20 minutes ago, Mister X said:

Alternatively you could unpack the HighRes DLC .bsa files as those plugins are only there to assure that the .bsa files get loaded.

You've lost me. What will that achieve? All that will do is to load the Hi-Res packs as loose files. I should have added remove the bsas as well but unpacking them will not do any good..

57 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

You've lost me. What will that achieve? All that will do is to load the Hi-Res packs as loose files. I should have added remove the bsas as well but unpacking them will not do any good..

You're right, the bsas have to be removed, too. And it would achieve that you still can use the DLC as a base without the need of the esp files.

At least for me, when I still used Oldrim, I never got to the point that I replaced each and every texture that is covered by the HighRes DLC

27 minutes ago, Mister X said:

I never got to the point that I replaced each and every texture that is covered by the HighRes DLC

I'm with you now - use the Hi-Res as a sort of base layer then let e.g. Skyrim HD overwrite whichever files.

I'm at the other end of the spectrum from you, I use several overhauls in a pick n mix style.

11 minutes ago, mircislav said:

I am no authority on modding and such, but I simply removed hi res pack dlc and the game is quite happy about that. No problems playing the game and it looks is quite OK.

I did a long time ago as well. At that time I had a good amount of texture replacer mods(NobleSkyrim,SkyrimHD,VividWeather) to name a few and I didnt notice anything game that i felt I was missing,nothing.  If you want use hi res dlc at least grab optimized version off nexus. 

32 minutes ago, Heroine HoneyCrotch said:

If you want use hi res dlc at least grab optimized version off nexus

Well, I am not sure why someone would spend GPU ram and what not just to see the leaves move fluently or more pebbles in the water or how yarl's toilet looks like in the sunset... For me it's more valuable how my (or my companion's) backside looks because that's what you are looking most of the time in the game...

13 hours ago, mircislav said:

Well, I am not sure why someone would spend GPU ram and what not just to see the leaves move fluently or more pebbles in the water or how yarl's toilet looks like in the sunset... For me it's more valuable how my (or my companion's) backside looks because that's what you are looking most of the time in the game...

It is entirely possible to have both.

3 hours ago, CrymH said:

got Skyrim HD instead

Wear that for a while until you get a 'feel' for its look and then uninstall and try another one, e.g. Noble or aMidian. See which one you like best. Some are good all rounders, some are noted for their wood and some for their stone etc. Some just do towns and cities, some just forts and some just caves etc. You have entered the rabbit-hole of modding Skyrim. ?

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

Wear that for a while until you get a 'feel' for its look and then uninstall and try another one, e.g. Noble or aMidian. See which one you like best. Some are good all rounders, some are noted for their wood and some for their stone etc. Some just do towns and cities, some just forts and some just caves etc. You have entered the rabbit-hole of modding Skyrim. ?

HAHA you must be joking.. i am in modding for over 5 years now so in that case i fell deep inside this rabbit hole xD

also i have aMidian + Noble and now + Skyrim HD