Racemenu overlays disapear under transparent clothing (SE)

Hey y'all, so im having a problem with things like tats, and other overlays that are aplied via race menu or slave tats, they disapear under transparent clothing, i saw others had the same problem with that, is there no fix for that? or am i just not aware of one.

In the SKEE.ini there is this - 

Overlays/Data]
; Assigns these alpha properties to all overlays when they are applied
; 4844, 128 is recommended for solid overlays (they will render correctly underwater)
; Changing the overlay's alpha value ingame acts like 4845 regardless of assigned flags
iAlphaFlags=4845 ; Default[4845]
iAlphaThreshold=0 ; Default[0]

I'm no expert on this, and haven't changed the default settings myself, but this may be where you can fix that. Mine disappear underwater (transparency), and I'm not sure of the consequences of messing with this, which is why I haven't done it myself. 

You can be my guinea pig ?, just report results!

• 1 month later...
On 3/23/2021 at 1:05 AM, Whacked said:

In the SKEE.ini there is this - 

Overlays/Data]
; Assigns these alpha properties to all overlays when they are applied
; 4844, 128 is recommended for solid overlays (they will render correctly underwater)
; Changing the overlay's alpha value ingame acts like 4845 regardless of assigned flags
iAlphaFlags=4845 ; Default[4845]
iAlphaThreshold=0 ; Default[0]

I'm no expert on this, and haven't changed the default settings myself, but this may be where you can fix that. Mine disappear underwater (transparency), and I'm not sure of the consequences of messing with this, which is why I haven't done it myself. 

You can be my guinea pig ?, just report results!

Sorry for very late response, i gave up trying to fix it and forgot about the post, changing the value to 128 breaks my character textures, so i guess it dosen't work.

• 1 year later...

There is *one push-come-shove solution I can think of (and have used in the past).

Apply the tat(s) to a copy of your face/hands/feet/body directly, AFTER you move or copy your original textures to a backup folder for future reference (trust me on that...I made the mistake of "burning" a tat into my one female without backing up the custom skin I can't find any more in its original form), then drop the modified textures in place

you can do the work in Paint dot Net or similar. Just call up the tat, call up the skin you want to apply it to. adjust the size and tone of the tat to your suiting (and to conform to the pixel dimensions of the body/feet/etc), copy paste the tat onto the texture using a new layer, use selected-area move tool to adjust its position, then, once it's just as you like, then "merge" the tat layer onto the texture and save.

(sounds more complicated than it is)

Anyway. if you decide later you want to revert, just overwrite the modded texture files with those you copied/moved to a backup folder (btw, the backup folder can be created right off the textures folder you're working on without issue).

Edited by anjenthedog
typos
  • 3 months later...
On 10/15/2022 at 9:07 AM, anjenthedog said:

There is *one push-come-shove solution I can think of (and have used in the past).

Apply the tat(s) to a copy of your face/hands/feet/body directly, AFTER you move or copy your original textures to a backup folder for future reference (trust me on that...I made the mistake of "burning" a tat into my one female without backing up the custom skin I can't find any more in its original form), then drop the modified textures in place

you can do the work in Paint dot Net or similar. Just call up the tat, call up the skin you want to apply it to. adjust the size and tone of the tat to your suiting (and to conform to the pixel dimensions of the body/feet/etc), copy paste the tat onto the texture using a new layer, use selected-area move tool to adjust its position, then, once it's just as you like, then "merge" the tat layer onto the texture and save.

(sounds more complicated than it is)

Anyway. if you decide later you want to revert, just overwrite the modded texture files with those you copied/moved to a backup folder (btw, the backup folder can be created right off the textures folder you're working on without issue).

Lol that does sound like my kind of approach.

Just like "fuck it. I'LL Texture the Mod MYSELF"

• 2 months later...

Hey, I was facing the same issues for quite a while but If you're using body slide and outfit studio you should view the mesh using those programs and play around with the alpha values for the transparent meshes there rather than using nifscope and/or blender.

Hopefully this solves your issue.

I used an alpha threshold value of 128 in outfit studio and then built the mesh in body slide.