MCCC Editing traits in CAS after increasing family size past 8

Bit of a question.. from what I understand:

If you want a family size greater then 8:

* computer->mccc-> mccc settings -> gameplay settings -> maximum household size

The warning is that afterward you want to -not- modify the family the normal way anymore (modify household) as 8 is hardcoded and it will erase family members

The fix is that you:

* character -> mccc -> sim commands -> modify in cas

which edits them independent of the family so nothing breaks

Now in general if you want to edit a character's traits (or gender, full looks, etc) you can: 

ctrl + shift + c > (console) testingcheats true > (console) cas.fulleditmode

This works fine. But bringing it all together.... the mccc > commands > modify in cas doesn't seem to listen to cas.fulleditmode? I just adopted a cat and all I can edit on it is the look. I know the cheat worked because I used the normal mccc edit in cas mode on the butler and had full control. But on any family member all you can is basically outfit-equivalent

So what am I missing / is there a way to safely fully-edit characters after you increase household size?

(Sorry for all the worlds, just wanted to show I was trying to do my homework before putting out a question to y'all. Just hit the end of my google-fu)

You can also enable "testingcheats" and "fulleditmode" through MCCC - saves you some typing and maybe flips the right switches. Go into MCCC via any computer, then "Settings" (the top item), and then the one that says something about "console commands" (third from the top). Not sure about the English names, as I'm playing in German.

Anyway, there are some settings for common console commands like "fulleditmode", so they're enabled by default whenever the game loads.

The only other way I can think of would be some kind of a workaround (haven't really played much with 9+ Sims yet).

Temporarily remove the Sim in question from your current household, then edit them in CAS like you normally would (because now they are a household of their own), and finally add them back into the original household. Should be possible with shift-click stuff only, unless MCCC changed something about how "oversize" households work during the past year or so.

11 hours ago, Crashdown117 said:

You can also enable "testingcheats" and "fulleditmode" through MCCC - saves you some typing and maybe flips the right switches. Go into MCCC via any computer, then "Settings" (the top item), and then the one that says something about "console commands" (third from the top). Not sure about the English names, as I'm playing in German.

Anyway, there are some settings for common console commands like "fulleditmode", so they're enabled by default whenever the game loads.

The only other way I can think of would be some kind of a workaround (haven't really played much with 9+ Sims yet).

Temporarily remove the Sim in question from your current household, then edit them in CAS like you normally would (because now they are a household of their own), and finally add them back into the original household. Should be possible with shift-click stuff only, unless MCCC changed something about how "oversize" households work during the past year or so.

I got excited to try it - sounds very reasonable but.. I'm afraid no-go, it doesn't carry over to that editing system. And I don't believe you can remove pets to add them back in. Sanity-checked myself and the EA answer seems to be "The short answer is any Sim or Pet removed by social worker or animal control is gone from the game forever. The only way to get them back is to go to an older version of the save from before they were taken"

30 minutes ago, HypnoKitten said:

"The short answer is any Sim or Pet removed by social worker or animal control is gone from the game forever. The only way to get them back is to go to an older version of the save from before they were taken"

But that's not what you're doing, the powers of Google-Fu mislead you there.

Your pet isn't hauled away by someone, it simply becomes a stray cat or dog. Sims removed by shift-clicking won't even stop what they're doing, if they're watching TV or playing chess or whatever. I accidentally removed a lot of Sims from their households already, usually when I wanted to cheat up their motives and clicked through the menus too quickly. It didn't even ruin marriages or anything, they're just not part of the household for a moment.

However, if you're afraid of losing your beloved pets or children forever (again, don't be - or simply save the game first), remove some adult Sims to reduce household size instead. They can move out or between different households without any cheats or mods, so shift-clicking is just a quicker way of doing it in Live mode.

2 hours ago, Crashdown117 said:

But that's not what you're doing, the powers of Google-Fu mislead you there.

Your pet isn't hauled away by someone, it simply becomes a stray cat or dog. Sims removed by shift-clicking won't even stop what they're doing, if they're watching TV or playing chess or whatever. I accidentally removed a lot of Sims from their households already, usually when I wanted to cheat up their motives and clicked through the menus too quickly. It didn't even ruin marriages or anything, they're just not part of the household for a moment.

However, if you're afraid of losing your beloved pets or children forever (again, don't be - or simply save the game first), remove some adult Sims to reduce household size instead. They can move out or between different households without any cheats or mods, so shift-clicking is just a quicker way of doing it in Live mode.

So removing the cat and trying to change in Cas I now get 'Household must contain at least one Teen, young Adult, Adult, or Elder Sim' so I can't actually edit it. But I was able to remove the dog and then edit the cat then add the dog back in so that seemed to have worked! (had to hunt around to find the dog after exiting Cas but was still on the lot soooo yay! I... think I better keep this family slightly on the small side since it sounds like I'll have to removing folks from it and adding them back in any time I want to edit someone >< 

Thank you for your help! 

13 hours ago, HypnoKitten said:

think I better keep this family slightly on the small side since it sounds like I'll have to removing folks from it and adding them back in any time I want to edit someone >< 

There are a couple of workarounds if you want more sims in your household although they are considered NPC's and not controlable.

Check out LittleMsSams Live In Services and you can hire a live-in maid, gardener, and nanny.

Use special menus from mod to hire them from phone, but don't use the regular EA services menu to hire them.

You just have to assign them beds... (mod was just updated)

These sims will need to have their traits and skills edited to match their job function.

This mod actually worked quite well except for them raiding the fridge which I suspect is a game bug, or a sim bug I had.

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/183029459928/live-in-services-you-can-hire-two-live-in-nannies

The other one is LittleMsSams Roommates if you have University EP installed you can have many roommates but has certain rules and requirements.

Roommates will also get assigned random hidden quirks and traits that make them do some annoying things although they can be removed with MCCC.

To ask to be roommates they must be YA/A and homeless. 

However both @BatDoodand I both have had some strange things going on with roommates as they seem to have odd behaviors unlike regular sims.

This mod worked great long ago before the Snowy Escape patch.

https://littlemssam.tumblr.com/post/175413298428/roommates-please-read-the-description-carefully

With both above mods sims can be edited normally without any worry about current household.

50 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

However both @BatDoodand I both have had some strange things going on with roommates as they seem to have odd behaviors unlike regular sims.

Very true.

You could use MCCC to change specific hidden traits for roommates but they have no effect because the roommate system has what's known as "events" that happen and they are unavoidable. Roommates will come home and want to pick a fight. Roommates will come home and decide they want to serenade your sims. These are unavoidable and quite annoying because once the event has been triggered, they don't stop unless you kick them out. That's why I won't play with roommates again until I can find a mod that disables these events.

52 minutes ago, BatDood said:

Roommates will come home and want to pick a fight. Roommates will come home and decide they want to serenade your sims. These are unavoidable and quite annoying because once the event has been triggered, they don't stop unless you kick them out. That's why I won't play with roommates again until I can find a mod that disables these events.

Yes the hidden roommate trait alone will trigger those events even though they've had all their other hidden UNI quirks and traits removed.

My thoughts are the roommates system was made more for sims living in dorms and attending University.

Basically it's a hidden drama system.  

11 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

And for people that just want a nice NPC Sim to live with without the drama, it's not going to happen. It's a shame because it's an aspect of the pack that I'd love to play with but won't anymore because of it. It's a good thing I didn't buy the pack for that function or else I'd be a little pissed off about it. As it stands now, I just ignore the fact that it exists.

40 minutes ago, BatDood said:

And for people that just want a nice NPC Sim to live with without the drama, it's not going to happen. It's a shame because it's an aspect of the pack that I'd love to play with but won't anymore because of it. It's a good thing I didn't buy the pack for that function or else I'd be a little pissed off about it. As it stands now, I just ignore the fact that it exists.

What I found most odd was the fact that this mod worked great before Snowy Escape patch/EP and I never had much, if any, drama before it.

Had 8 roommates and 1 active sim and it was perfect so I suspect that patch added something else.

At least the Live in Services mod still works without that drama system anyway but some ppl actually like more drama and use other mods to get that too.

hello actually i play with 20 sims and i have no problem. But on 8 sims in CAS some menus are disabled.

How to change the setting will not appear? the fastest way i found is to delete the sims you want to edit on your active household and move it to an empty batch .. now your sims are a standalone household .. if you edit it in the CAS menu all, because its focus <8.

Change the setting which can't change before .. and when you are done .. move your sims into your main household's house

Back to your main focus. and use Shift + click on a Sim you want to add back, and choose “Add to Family”, which will merge the 2 households.

For   sims    who can  not  stay  standalone on a  household (child  , pet  etc..  ) the    solution  is  : Move  2  sims   to a  new household    , modify  and   call back    the  2 sims   in  your main  household..

Another solution   is to  temporary enable  an  household    ,  for be played  :    world  editor >>  household  manager >>  other household >>   and clic on  "blue heart"   for  play.  and when  you  have   finish     you can  just clic on   "plain" blue heart   for move back  the  household to  "other household" .     

Ps   household are  stored   on  each  savegame.    (disable    during  this operation     the automatic   savegame  in MCCC)   and     if  you made an  error   ,  you  just  need to leave  sims4  without  save   game... and   your   household back to to origin.   or  create  a copy  of  your  current savegame

• 6 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 5:13 PM, Scorpio said:

Yes the hidden roommate trait alone will trigger those events even though they've had all their other hidden UNI quirks and traits removed.

My thoughts are the roommates system was made more for sims living in dorms and attending University.

Ehm: Roommates Maximum 999 at The Sims 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) ( in optional files noWooing)

Basicly with small modding experience, you can switch off any unwanted behaviour of your roommates.

Personally I've wrote myself a small python script to remove them all their roommate traits that cause the most strange behaviour, but you can do that simply with mccc too.

My roommates are a pleasure to live now with and even my spouse is now a roommate.

An other mod I like to recommend is control_any_sim. (Do not know the url atm, simply google for it). In case they start to do something really stupid.

P.S.: Just added a package for no arguing.

Edited by Aramiteus
6 hours ago, Aramiteus said:

Ehm: Roommates Maximum 999 at The Sims 4 Nexus - Mods and community (nexusmods.com) ( in optional files noWooing)

Basicly with small modding experience, you can switch off any unwanted behaviour of your roommates.

Personally I've wrote myself a small python script to remove them all their roommate traits that cause the most strange behaviour, but you can do that simply with mccc too.

My roommates are a pleasure to live now with and even my spouse is now a roommate.

An other mod I like to recommend is control_any_sim. (Do not know the url atm, simply google for it). In case they start to do something really stupid.

P.S.: Just added a package for no arguing.

This looks like just the fix I need for roommates. Thanks for sharing.

I've installed everything required and I have to say that you've done a great job. It's been an in-game week testing two roommates and no issues at all.

I had to go into MCCC and change a couple of hidden traits. One had the hidden music lover trait and she would break out the violin.

The other was the EmoLoner trait because she decided to leave a note about how she hated stepping in puddles because the floor wasn't clean (it was).

Your mod is certainly a keeper.

Edited by BatDood
To give feedback.
2 hours ago, Aramiteus said:

An other mod I like to recommend is control_any_sim.

Yes I know it's another mod I won't play without.

2 hours ago, Aramiteus said:

This is what is needed, just normal acting NPC Roommates.