[mod] Atalantea: A Tentacle Themed Hyperpregnancy Mod

Atalantea: A Tentacle Themed Hyperpregnancy Mod

Have been pretty burned out bugfixing my Nephila Rimworld mod, so figured I'd try my hands at making something in CK3. Introducing Atalantea: A Tentacle Themed Hyperpregnancy Mod. Erm... Beta.  What I have right now is rather basic. It's mostly just a framework without much development, especially in the event and flavor text. I hope folks enjoy what's there, though, and please give me feedback about things you'd like to see expanded/worked on.

Mechanics

• A series of three traits (+1 ultimate trait) for hyperpregnancy. Each trait makes characters progressively more pregnant looking than the last. The highest level trait conveys immortality and eternal youth, but at the cost of a significant constant health malus (try not to get sick). 
  • A new hyperpregnancy themed religion, including a custom tenet that enables a unique extra pilgrimage. Women practicing antideluvianism can travel into the deep places beneath the religion's ruined grotto-temples. Whilst there, they have some (currently very basic) sexy times with the be-tentacled Drowned Gods they worship. If they're lucky, the  potent ambrosia that the tentacles secrete will quicken in their wombs, granting them growing power to match their growing wombs.
  • A series of decisions and events centering around discovering the ancient Atalantean culture and religion, resurrecting them, and rebuilding the empire:
    • An event to convert to the religion if you own a holy site province and meet certain requirements. If you don't meet the requirements, the event acts similar to the old "Delve Into the Classics" event, giving you various temporary buffs as you try to discover the secrets that the ruins of Atalantea are hiding.
    • An event to raise the ancient Atalantean ruins from the marshes and oceans they have been swept into. Allows you to convert to the long dead Atalantean culture (with two cecaelia themed men-at-arms units), form a new Atalantean Empire, and break free from any previous liege you might have had (while giving them a claim on your new title and making them rather less than happy).
    • An event to become the living god-empress of the world, gaining a Saoshyant equivalent trait/bloodline trait and giving Antideluvianism the "Rightful Rulers of the World" tent, decreasing the cost of holy wars by 50% and giving you an excuse to engage in some more of that sweet, sweet, globe-trotting conquest.
  • Unique upgradable buildings. Return the Atalantean capital of Charybdos, in the Aegean Islands, back to its former glory.

Getting Started

You can get started with this mod pretty much anywhere on the map if you're willing to make a custom character or convert to the Antideluvian religion the hard way. Many of the events can only be triggered in the general area of Byzantium, Russia, and the Caspian Steppe, though. My personal recommendations would be to start in either Kiev, Crimea, or Naxos. Starting with one of the factions in the caucuses might also be pretty fun. Most of the events explain what you need to achieve in order to trigger them, but the initial religion converting event can be a bit tricky: make sure you have a female ruler who directly owns an Antideluvian holy site. You'll want her to also have a psychological trait like possessed/mystic/etc., the deviant trait, and at least 15 diplomacy. 

Incompatibility

This mod changes the "00_core_tenets" file in the common>religion>doctrines folder. This will likely make the mod less than compatible with other mods that change the same file (basically all religion mods). If you'd like me to make a patch for any religion mods, let me know and I'll try to get to it eventually. Until then, my recommendation is to either avoid using those mods or manually patch your religion mods by copying the code for the "holywomb" tenet into whichever religion mod you are using. (It's not that much code and right at the top of my version of the 00_core_tenets file.)

It also changes the "window_council_gui" file in the gui folder. Mods that change the council window will also cause some issues with this mod. I don't intend to patch this file due to how complex gui modding is, but the incompatibility is a soft incompatibility rather than a hard one. If you are using a mod that also overwrites this file, I recommend that you ensure it loads after the Atalantea mod. This will disable a minor late game feature for the Atalantea mod (interactive council positions for hyperpregnant priestesses) but should otherwise not cause issues.

As far as I'm aware, there shouldn't be any other major incompatibilities. Let me know if you encounter anything and I'll try to look into it.

Known Issues

• There's likely still some unwritten localization issues, still. Let me know if you find places where it's clear localization text is missing.
  • For some reason, the Holy Wombs tenet doesn't show up in reform religion choices unless you manually change the doctrine file and then change it back. None of the text actually has to be different, you just have to fiddle with the file while the game is open. I have no idea why this is.
    • Update (1/29/24): I think it has something to do with my use of Carnalitas Dei as a base/attempt to make the two mods compatible. I've also discovered that having Carnalitas Dei installed at the same time (or switching to a vanilla tennets list) seems to disable the special pilgrimage event for gaining holy womb levels. Investigating. For now, using the mod "Traditional Tenets" will leave things at the earlier observed problem. Avoid Carnalitas Dei until I can work out what is going on.
  • Males can become heads-of-faith in Antideluvianism.
  • The highest level hyperpregnancy belly is rather jagged. As I don't have 3D modeling skills, I'm afraid it's going to have to stay that way for now.
  • Balance. There are almost definitely balance issues.

Plans: 

• Bugfix any gamebreaking issues that crop up.
  • Play the game for a while and enjoy the mod >.>
  • Bugfix less serious issues.
  • Institute more archess council positions.
  • Create new randomly appearing events to help develop the narrative, expand on Atalantea's history and culture, and create new opportunities for fun with tentacles.

Credits

• As with my Nephila mod in Rimworld, this mod occasionally uses art I found online without explicit permission. Should any artists responsible for that art ever ask me to replace it, I will happily do so.
  • Cheri Song's Carnalitas Mundi mod provided me with most of my original base code for the religion in this mod. It also helped me to figure out certain issues involving file structure that I encountered.
  • The bodypart scaling technique I used for the hyperpregnancy was originally figured out over on Eka's Portal as they worked through how to do things with their vore mod.
  • On steam, Cappucino James's port of the "Delve Into Classics" event was used to figure out my own Atalantea specific equivalent.
  • On steam, Rhazak's North Sea Empire - Decision and Title mod was used to figure out why my attempt to copy the Unify India event was failing miserably. 

The hyperpreg content comes from a religious doctrine in the Antideluvian religion, so any characters following that religion have access to it. The Atalantean cultural/empire events are available to characters practicing the religion who meet certain requirements, but you don't need to do those events to gain access to the religion (and the hyprepreg trait granting pilgrimage that comes with it). 

You could use the viking sacrifice method to convert to the religion and start a hyprepreg Scandinavia, for instance, or make an antideluvian religion character in Tibet and forge a hyperpreg Tibetan empire. 

I'd like to set up the doctrine so that non-Antideluvian pagan religions can add it on reformation, eventually, but haven't figured that out yet. 

Finally, there's an event available via debug mode that lets you give a character the hyprepreg trait/scale it up. You can always use that if you want to play a hyperpreg character but don't want to deal with the religious stuff/event.

Yup, unzip it in the Mods folder. Make sure both the "Everpreg" mod folder and "everpreg.mod" file are in the mod folder. Then, similar to what you would have done with Carnalitas, add the mod to your mod list by going to "mods" -> "mod list" -> "add more mods."

Hmm. Are you unable to load it? It might have outdated information in its descriptor file, but that shouldn't stop you from loading it (does remind me to fix it for the next version, though). Are you running the most recent version of the game?

Updated mod. Changes: 

• Changed which territories you need to create the empire of Atalantia. Now you need the duchies of Kiev, Chernigov, Yedisan, Levedia, Crimea, Zov, the Don Valley, Khazaria, and the Aegean Islands. 
  • Changed some of the mechanics involving becoming a living god. You should now be able to avoid situations where you need to claim random exclaves to ascend.
  • Tweaked the numbers involving gaining the hpreg traits. All levels are now easier to get (especially for AI). 
  • As a consequence, I have removed immortality from the level 3 Hpreg trait.
  • But: the ascended god trait now gives immortality. Having the descendant traits gives a fairly significant health bonus. 
  • Tweaked the version number in the .mod file so that it no longer shows the mod as out of date.
  • Some bug fixing and grammar stuffs. 
  • Delving into the depths now properly costs money.
  • Filled out some missing localization information.

I figured out the issue with the Sacred Childbirth tenet, btw. It's the is_shown block:

is_shown = {
            OR = {
                religion_tag = baltic_religion
                religion_tag = waaqism_religion
            }
        }

I deleted that block and it worked fine. I think it makes the tenet only valid for certain religions - in this case, Waaqism and Baltic religions.

Ah ha! Thanks for that observation pokepika. I made a copycat tenet for Sacred Childbirth to achieve the same effect, mostly to make it easier to patch tenets for other mods that change the same file in the future. Worked like a charm. Also figured out how to make Sacred Childbirth/Siren's Wombs appear in selection lists for tenets, which is great. Followers of Antideluvianism, baltic/vanilla paganism, waaqism, hellenism, and kushitism may now select the Siren's Wombs tenet when reforming, if they wish. (The event descriptions will remain the same, but it opens the hpreg events up to more religions, at least.) Change will be available next time I update the mod.

Update: 

• The hyperpregnancy traits now prevent most visual aging effects. They do not, however, actually extend a character's life (and they still negatively impact health).
  • Added the ability for characters worshipping a religion with the Holy Wombs tenet to found a Council of Archesses. 
    • Available once every ten years.
    • This council works similar to the witch's coven.
    • However, all individuals with hyperpreg traits in your kingdom are able to participate.
    • There is no direct converting to witchcraft equivalent.
    • Instead, characters with lvl 2 or lvl 3 hyperpreg traits gain a once per 15 year scheme to convince another character to become their lover and convert to their religion.
      • I'm looking into how to make the conversion a secret instead of open, but for now it's open. Secret religions seem a bit tricky to implement.
    • The council event itself gives you access to a significant 5 year buff or debuff depending on how well you manage to impress the priestesses at the council.
    • It also gives you access to most of the standard witch event bonuses, with the herbalism event replaced with the ability to wander into the deep places under the temple, sometimes, giving you an extra roll on the event to upgrade your hyperpregnancy trait.
  • Some more tweaks and fixes.

Event modding involves writing lots of localization text. If you see a typo or any missing localization text, please post a spoilered screenshot of the missing text alongside a brief explanation of where you found the issue and I'll do my best to fix it for the next version of the mod.

There's likely some balance issues with the new content, too, and I'd be happy to hear feedback regarding balance issues. 

Edit (2/1/2021): Did a quick tweak to get the Siren's Wombs tenet working with non-Antideluvian religions (you can reform into it now). The religious groups that can add the tenet are as follows: 

• Bori
  • Qiangic
  • Zoroastrianism
  • Bon
  • Baltic Paganism
  • Antideluvianism
  • Waaqism
  • Kushitism
  • Paganism

I have noticed a rare bug, if a force comprising of only sirines engage an enemy without moral being full, it adds negative casualties to the enemy, in essence swelling their numbers to several hundred thousand for a battle of 4K men vs 1 feral sirine MAA........THAT THEY THEN KEEP

Hmm. Do you know if it's happening in specific terrain? Deserts and drylands give negative damage modifiers and I could see that resulting in negative damage when combined with negative morale, maybe. I'll tweak the modifiers a bit for the next release.

Hmm. Well, I've tweaked a few numbers. I'll keep an eye out for the bug, myself, and we'll see if it's resolved with the next release.

Edit (2/1/2021): I've noticed a potential bug. Could someone please confirm whether or not they are able to add the Siren's Womb tenet to their reformed religion (from among the list mentioned in the update)?

was not able to add either tenants from this mod to Hellenism on reformation through normal means, was however able to add them with console so it is not like they are destroyed, I am also using the "More Religious Doctrines Tenants Slots" mod on steam so that may have something to do with it....considering it adds "blank" as tenants to not have the game crash, that might have something to do with it on my end

Hmm. I was worried that might be the case. I encountered the same issue and was able to resolve it by slightly changing the code of the tenet file and then changing it back. Even though nothing had technically changed, the new tenets showed up. Still not certain why that is, but will fix it once I figure it out.

Right now am tweaking the priestess council, trying to figure out how to allow non-landed family members of rulers to gain the hyperpreg trait, and brainstorming systems to make ruling an hpreg empire more unique and interesting. With that in mind, have been thinking something along the following (note: nothing is set in stone, and I might not be able to figure out implementing all/any of this): 

• Increase the health penalty for the hyperpreg trait again. It's already pretty high, but there are tons of ways in-game to buff health. From my testing so far, by the time you start getting characters with the most advanced hyperpreg traits, the health penalty basically doesn't do anything.  The alternate to increasing the health penalty would be to figure out another stat debuff that works thematically and is more immediately noticeable. Not sure what sort of stat would make sense, though.
  •  Make a capital building that's basically a palace built to accommodate hyperpreg rulers and priestesses. It would negate the worst health problems and the like, and give some other minor buffs to fertility, tax, and prestige. 
  • Think through systems to encourage/reward playing a diplomatic game at a kingdom level/playing as a vassal. In optimal form, I'd like to see hyperpreg rulers being rewarded for manipulating the big kids on the block into acting for them and waiting until the late game to form a super empire and take the top spot. Basically play Jafar from Aladdin.  Right now, in CK3, it's super easy to form an empire and steamroll the map in a couple generations. There's not much I can do to change that fact, but I can try to make playing a less overtly powerful character more rewarding and interesting.
    • I've already made an interaction that lets you convert a character to your religion, making it easier to make an empire you're a part of convert to your religion without having to take over, but I'd like to think through a way to make it less likely that a liege imprisons you/demands you convert when you aren't the same religion until you gain access to those decisions. I'd want to do so without changing any core files, though, and not certain how likely that is. The optimal way to do things would be to make it so you can practice the religion secretly, but unless/until Paradox implements a system to do that, I'm going to hold off on trying that.
    • Figure out how to implement buffs to liege opinion and work them into the existing core systems of the mod.
    • Figure out how to implement buffs to marriage acceptance and work them into the existing core systems of the mod.
    • Implement systems to reward a hyperpreg dynasty for having many independent rulers rather than a single large empire.
      • Implement a decision to set up a trade route with an independent ruler of the same dynasty. Both rulers would gain a modifier increasing taxes and powerful vassal opinion.
      • Implement a decision to gain access to a houseguard/varangian guard style unit of eldritch god-servants (basically a single unit of powerful warbeasts). Available to holywomb worshipping dynasty members if their dynasty has 5+ independent rulers. 
      • Implement a decision to summon a khan-style character, basically a direct representative of the eldritch gods, and then marry them and become a particularly favored vassal. Available to an unmarried female dynasty head at 10+ independent rulers. Khan would first show up on Sardinia.  
    • Create a super-palatinate style vassal contract and make a scheme to convince your liege to alter your contract to add it. Improves marriageable  acceptance with the liege and buffs the vassal. You would essentially have your family and lands declared a holy protectorate, to be preserved by your ruling liege's empire/kingdom/duchy at all cost. 
      • Been fiddling with this one a while but am struggling to get it working. Main issue right now is figuring out the code to change a special contract in that way.  I'm pretty sure I could make the super-palatinate work like a regular contract, but keyed on having a holywomb religion rather than on tech, and that would work as a reasonable temporary measure, but tying it into a scheme (and keeping it from being an option in regular negotiations) would be preferred.
  • Expand on the existing Priestess Council by granting a decision to empower the priestess council. 
    • Makes a few additional councilor positions available, but decreases taxes by 10%. All new positions would require the councilor have at least one level of the hyperpreg trait. 
    • Would make a new building available across your lands. Basically a meeting/bath-house for local priestess council members to hold court. 
    • Would introduce a series of pop-up events, happening once every 10 years, where the empowered council informs you of a rulership decision they have made. These decisions will do both a positive and a negative thing to your lands. Can elect to either accept their will for a bonus to piety/powerful vassal opinion or refuse for a penalty to piety/powerful vassal opinion (but you stop the buff from going into effect). 
  • Create a series of terrain dependent resource buildings.
    • If I can figure it out, tie these buildings into the inter-dynasty trading decisions. 
    • If possible, have the buildings give a positive modifier to the direct owner. Mostly popular opinion. 
      • Create a series of festivals available if you have certain combinations of modifiers. Triggers a series of events and buffs your territories for a short time. Mostly sexy time stuffs; think converting olives and plums into body oil for an oil wrestling/preggo massaging festival or beef, potatoes, and grapes into a festival of overindulgent feasts.
  • Implement a trait-based artifact system similar to the legendary sword mod, but for a palanquin for hyperpregnant rulers to travel around on. Palanquin can be set up to either improve sex appeal and renown or negate and partially reverse the prowess penalty from hyperpregnancy (think like an armored carriage/tank). Would preferably pass down to heirs regardless if they're hyperpreg or not but only "activate" when the owner of the palanquin is at stage 2/3 hyperpregnancy.

The big thing I want to do is make playing these sorts of kingdoms interesting and dynamic beyond just acquiring and holding onto territory. Once I think I've accomplished that to the best of my ability, I'll look to using the systems I've put together as the basis for a series of random sexy-times events in order to make the lewd bits of this mod a little less repetitive.  Also down to hear feedback from folks on how I could accomplish these goals/other things they'd like to see. No promises, but I'm definitely interested in hearing peoples' ideas. 

Updated Mod:

What's New in Version b4.0.0

Note: Changed a lot in this version and touched some pretty big stuff, so leaving b3.1 (last version) up until I'm confident this new version doesn't have any secret jumbo-sized issues.

Changes: 

• Added a new sub-council specifically for holywomb archess councils. If you're familiar with the lesser titles mod, this works the same way. I had to touch the council gui file (window_council.gui) to get this working. As a consequence, Atalantea now has a soft incompatibility with other mods that touch the council tab. If you load those mods after the Atalantea mod, the mods will work just fine, but the council specific aspects of the Atalantea mod will not work. All the stuff you've had access to until now (and anything that doesn't involve archess councils specifically) should still work fine.
  • The archess council currently has one position, the Archess of Plenty, but I have plans to expand the council to include four or five different council members.
    • 1st ability: Passively buffs development rate (I'm going to make this more of a trade-off in future patches but keeping it simple for now)
    • 2nd ability: The Archess of Plenty can build a "Temple of Plenty" in the capital province of a given county. This building takes up its own unique slot and is quite powerful. It provides buffs similar to a trade guild building (a bit weaker). In addition, it "marks" the resources in the county for Archess festivals (more on this later). 
  • Added a decision to throw a Festival of Abundance. When you throw a festival of abundance, you gather up the resources marked by Temple of Plenty buildings. These resources are based  on the terrain of the province that the building is built in. So, for instance, if you control a Temple of Plenty built in a province with farmland terrain, you gather farmland resources. If you gather from a Temple of Plenty (Desert) you gather desert resources.
    • After you have gathered resources, you are then able to throw a festival based on the resources you have access to. At the moment, there are five festivals: standard (have any temple of plenty resource), stuffing feast (have temperate resources), masked orgy (have warm climate resources), week-long spa day (have cold climate resources), and disappoint the archesses (have no resources or refuse to spend the gold to throw the festival). 
  • Added a trading interaction. Members of houses with Archess councils are able to trade resources so long as both are adults and have at least one level of hyperpregnancy. When they do so, they gain access to each others' currently held resources for ten years. Not particularly useful when trading with house member vassals, since you gain access to vassal resources automatically, but useful if you have an independent house member within diplomacy range who has access to a resource you don't. 
  • Added a third MAA unit to the game: giant cecaelias/sirens. Available to any holywomb worshippers if their household has at least five independent ruler members following a holywomb religion (doesn't matter which so long as it has the doctrine). The giant cecaelias are essentially super-powered elephants, with similar strengths/weaknesses as the other siren variants. You can only have a single small stack, but I think they'll be a solid addition to a team--especially if you don't have access to elephants otherwise.
  • Lots of small tweaks and bug fixes. Most importantly, all AI (not just landed) who are eligible to visit the deeps will do so. Should make it easier to set up your unlanded heirs and the like to take on your character's hyperpregnant legacy.

Edit: Doing some thinking on possible additional positions/abilities for archess council members: 

• An Archess of Intrigue who can debuff enemy provinces, making their taxes and and siege holdout time lower. If you conquer the territory and want to get rid of the debuff, you have to use another ability of hers and it causes significant unrest.
  • An Archess of Seduction who either passively increases her lieges attractiveness or incites populist revolts of her liege's religion.
  • An Archess of War who can build infrastructure to increase supply limit in a territory at the cost of tax income. If not being used to build infrastructure, actively costs her liege resources but her bonuses from being an Archess of War make her a solid knight despite being hyperpregnant.

Let me know if you all think of anything you'd find interesting for archess abilities/council positions. Sky is the limit, though no promises I can/will manage to make ideas a reality.

I was poking at the files, and I noticed the cecaelias have two conflicting entries for siege damage, and no entry for siege tier. I don't mess with MAA much, but it seems like it would cause problems. Also, the other 2 MAA's - the feral sirens and the broodmothers - seem to be countering some unit types that aren't in my game. Something to do with a mod called DEMD - maybe have a version for vanilla CK3?

Oh shoot, noted. Maybe that's what was causing oddness with their negative damage, too. I've been playing DEMD recently and must have just picked up those unit types without thinking about if they were core or not. Will fix what you mentioned for next version.