Saving your starting world

Is there an effective way to save your world before starting a new sim? I have a lot of sims I've made and downloaded to populate my world with, and I try to fill up all the lots with various buildings, but I am trying to have a base world that has all this ready to go when I start a new sim. I've saved the game and labeled it 'Base World' before adding a new sim that I want to play, several times now. And when I start the new game I make sure I 'save as' and make a new save file. But it seems like, no matter what, each time the game ends up over writing my 'base world' file.  I am on my 4th attempt and populating and setting up my world and to be honest it's getting a little old and tiring adding in all these sims.

make and use save as your base world

Load it up, Save as -> your future play world (name it as you like).  That´s the way i do it.  The next time i play my "play world" i don't hit the big play button in the main menu but use the button below the play button. This will display all your saved worlds. Select your play world and next time you save you can always use the big play button as it should load your play world.  That works fine for me.

If you select new game it will use default settings (lots, NPCs), you have to load your base world (or play world) everytime and use the save as when you want to start a "new" game.
Otherwise you start over and over again.