Pointers on creating custom animations in Blender?

9 hours ago, flipdarkfuture said:

Hey there, are there any guides or tutorials to follow on creating custom animations in Blender? I'm getting interested in making my own animation pack for Sexout and are figuring out how to animate the new vegas character models, but have no clue how faces are animated by the game.

Hello, I don't know if there are guides unfortunately... but here's a head up for face animations. Check FAFF (Faceache) mod on nexus, it is also contained inside Groovatron. It contains small animation files that only trigger facial animations. They are NiVis and NiBool interpolators, through the skeleton they trigger the morph on the faces (the same phonemes you find inside the .tri file, like Aah, Big Aah etc.). To insert a facial animation inside an animation, I always made it by hand, with nifskope. To understand what values I have to give to phonemes, I use FEEL mod (which uses MFG but the result is the same)

8 hours ago, flipdarkfuture said:

Ah okay, sweet! That's a start at least :)

I managed to find a animation resource here on LL for male and female rigs in Blender, and I've sort of started things off. But it's good to know that I can use FAFF to trigger facial animations.

Sorry, I explained bad.

You can download FAFF and check with nifskope its animation files. Every animation is a different phoneme for facial animations, you can use nifskope to manually copy the values you need on your own animation (this is the same way I add facial animations to animations). I'm not sure if this is possible to do it directly in Blender, I never managed to do it... if you find something else I'll be glad to know about it.

If you never worked with facial animations in general, you can check FEEL, it has a list of the phonemes. These are triggered in a different way, but their names and values are the same ones of those you can add with nifskope to your animation, so it's a good and fast way to see directly in game which values you should add to your animation.