[Stellaris] Vanilla Framework

2 minutes ago, Armchair said:

They surprised everyone not too long ago with the DLC announcement.  It was something like a 2 week notice.

I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I think that the patch notes said that they added some new portraits.   I was under the impression that it was just portraits for the new "paragon" leaders, but I suppose that there is more to it than that.

I tried booting over lunch and my mod list is crashing on startup, but I haven't had time to track down what my specific issue is.  Going to start making a fresh mod list soon and start from square 1.

I think this is similar to what they were doing for HoI4's leaders, really messed up a lot of mods. Doubt VF would cause any crashes though. Had a quick look and there's a new Paragon species class/race, so that needs a set, and then I gotta hunt down the new unique leaders too. Robutts are on hold for now so.

25 minutes ago, Mugginnato said:

I think this is similar to what they were doing for HoI4's leaders, really messed up a lot of mods. Doubt VF would cause any crashes though. Had a quick look and there's a new Paragon species class/race, so that needs a set, and then I gotta hunt down the new unique leaders too. Robutts are on hold for now so.

I didn't mean to imply that VF was causing any crashes.  Just that something in my big pile of mod lists was.

FWIW, it looks like my culprit was UI overhaul dynamic.  Which pushed an update AFTER I identified that it was the cause of my problems.  I should have waited until after dinner before trying to launch the game.

9 minutes ago, Anotu said:

This doesn't seem to have done anything?

is there more than 2? I forgot to make a file for first contact so there should only be 2 vanilla empires. If there's more, here are some steps you can take:

1) make sure VF is in the right place, "Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod"

2) make sure VF is active and the last mod in your list

3) also try VF by itself to see if problems persist

if so

4) delete VF, get a fresh download and install

5) test VF by itself again

Also, here's the missing first contact file that should also go in prescripted_countries

93_first_contact_dlc_prescripted_countries.txt

17 minutes ago, Armchair said:

I didn't mean to imply that VF was causing any crashes.  Just that something in my big pile of mod lists was.

FWIW, it looks like my culprit was UI overhaul dynamic.  Which pushed an update AFTER I identified that it was the cause of my problems.  I should have waited until after dinner before trying to launch the game.

Oh I didn't think yo were. Looks like PD also changed up all the dlc race stuff, so now vanilla is back in the empire menu. Fml

10 minutes ago, Mugginnato said:

is there more than 2? I forgot to make a file for first contact so there should only be 2 vanilla empires. If there's more, here are some steps you can take:

1) make sure VF is in the right place, "Documents\Paradox Interactive\Stellaris\mod"

2) make sure VF is active and the last mod in your list

3) also try VF by itself to see if problems persist

if so

4) delete VF, get a fresh download and install

5) test VF by itself again

I've done all of that, put the two files you uploaded into prescribed_countries, running only VF with a fresh install of the mod, and still seeing this

image.png.7242336ce1169583eff9d79b836440dd.png

5 minutes ago, Anotu said:

I've done all of that, put the two files you uploaded into prescribed_countries, running only VF with a fresh install of the mod, and still seeing this

image.png.7242336ce1169583eff9d79b836440dd.png

I'll be honest, I misread what you originally wrote and thought you were talking about the pre-made empires. I'm trying to fix this but I can't seem to get rid of them like i should. I'm verify my game files now, after that I might try some other tricks, but I don't know why they're here.

35 minutes ago, Mugginnato said:

@Anotu Hotfix is up and should work. Tested it and it all looked good anyway. VF may or may not need to be the last in the load order now.

This appears to work on my end too, thanks! Best of luck wrangling the new DLC stuff.

6 hours ago, Mugginnato said:

@Anotu Hotfix is up and should work. Tested it and it all looked good anyway. VF may or may not need to be the last in the load order now.

Quick addendum, it seems that the original machine portraits are still present alongside your ones.

Edited by Anotu
12 hours ago, Anotu said:

Quick addendum, it seems that the original machine portraits are still present alongside your ones.

Yeah, they were added back in because I was gonna use their existing names to replace them, also they're needed for empires who make robots until I get that robot update out.

7 hours ago, Mugginnato said:

Yeah, they were added back in because I was gonna use their existing names to replace them, also they're needed for empires who make robots until I get that robot update out.

Gotcha. Having spent more time with the mod today I've unfortunately encountered another issue. It seems like I'm very often getting a crash when I go to the new "Ruler Traits" tab on the empire creation screen. The few times I got it to get onto the screen, the Leader Class box was returning a class that does not exist, so I suspect somewhere in the files this mod edits Paradox has added something defining a default leader class. 

Edit: Caught the bug. "leader_class = ruler" needs to be changed to "leader_class = governor" in the default prescripted country.

Edited by Anotu
1 hour ago, Anotu said:

Gotcha. Having spent more time with the mod today I've unfortunately encountered another issue. It seems like I'm very often getting a crash when I go to the new "Ruler Traits" tab on the empire creation screen. The few times I got it to get onto the screen, the Leader Class box was returning a class that does not exist, so I suspect somewhere in the files this mod edits Paradox has added something defining a default leader class. 

Edit: Caught the bug. "leader_class = ruler" needs to be changed to "leader_class = governor" in the default prescripted country.

Yeah, I've been going through the new updated files and I noticed little changes like that all over the place. I should have the next update/patch out in 2 or 3 days.

By the way is there any way to keep the Sildorian Corsairs from showing up every game? I see they're contained in a file required to keep the game from crashing, but it's not ideal to have them with an apparent 100% spawn rate. I don't understand the technical reason they're required for the game not to crash though.

13 hours ago, Anotu said:

By the way is there any way to keep the Sildorian Corsairs from showing up every game? I see they're contained in a file required to keep the game from crashing, but it's not ideal to have them with an apparent 100% spawn rate. I don't understand the technical reason they're required for the game not to crash though.

As far as I understand it, the game needs at least one premade empire for something. No idea what though. You can replace it with one of your own custom empires if you like, you'll find them in "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs_v3.4.txt"Just pick the one you like and copy pate them into "Vanilla Framework/prescripted_countries/VF_stops_the_game_crashing_empire.txt".

Edit: Just had a look at my currant play through (first one in quite some time), and they aren't there for me, so it's probably just random.

Edited by Mugginnato
4 hours ago, Mugginnato said:

As far as I understand it, the game needs at least one premade empire for something. No idea what though. You can replace it with one of your own custom empires if you like, you'll find them in "Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris/user_empire_designs_v3.4.txt"Just pick the one you like and copy pate them into "Vanilla Framework/prescripted_countries/VF_stops_the_game_crashing_empire.txt".

Edit: Just had a look at my currant play through (first one in quite some time), and they aren't there for me, so it's probably just random.

That's interesting because I know there are mods that remove the prescripted empires without causing a crash or adding their own. After looking at several on the workshop I may have figured out how this was done. By not modifying 00_top_countries you keep the two vanilla human empires in the game. However, they have "spawn_enabled = no" which means they won't appear in any of your games, and they also have "playable = has_not_humanoids" so they don't appear on the playable empires list as long as the player has the humanoids DLC. This means they are effectively never included in the game, but are still present to keep the game from crashing.

Do with this information what you will - just sharing here in case anyone else is seeing the Sildorian Corsairs a little too often!

3 hours ago, Anotu said:

That's interesting because I know there are mods that remove the prescripted empires without causing a crash or adding their own. After looking at several on the workshop I may have figured out how this was done. By not modifying 00_top_countries you keep the two vanilla human empires in the game. However, they have "spawn_enabled = no" which means they won't appear in any of your games, and they also have "playable = has_not_humanoids" so they don't appear on the playable empires list as long as the player has the humanoids DLC. This means they are effectively never included in the game, but are still present to keep the game from crashing.

Do with this information what you will - just sharing here in case anyone else is seeing the Sildorian Corsairs a little too often!

Yup, tested this out and it works without the file now. I'll switch the Sildoran to playable but not spawn-able so people can take the template and make a custom empire out of them if they like. Good catch ?

Heya! I've noticed that some of the art used in this mod belongs to artists/commissioners who don't consent to their OCs being used for projects like this without permission. Would it be okay to send a PM about removing their art from the mod?

3 hours ago, Marrhi said:

Heya! I've noticed that some of the art used in this mod belongs to artists/commissioners who don't consent to their OCs being used for projects like this without permission. Would it be okay to send a PM about removing their art from the mod?

Sure, but please do point out this has been a totally non-profit project and that I don't hand out any of the original artwork. 

Edit: Oh, and also that the images are cut, cropped, down-scaled, and in dds format. It just isn't worth anyone's time or effort to try convert these assets back to art at this point. If they still want their work removed, then to please DM me a list of which portraits.

Edited by Mugginnato