Pointers on creating new custom body replacer(s)

Is there anything special that needs to be done when modifying/making a body replacer in Blender? I can handle the actual 3d modeling part, butĀ I seem to remember something about the mesh needing to be saved first as an .OBJ or .BLEND file, modifications made, then exported as a .NIF, or the skin shaders (or something) wouldn't work right.Ā  However,Ā I can't find *anything* on the actual creation of a body, anywhere. Clearly it's possible, and I apologize if this is common knowledgeĀ  o_O

Ā 

Ā 

gah, creating not crating

You must export using some settings. Blender 2.49 is pretty straight. If you use a higher version, I guess you can simply save as legacy and then import on the 2.49 and then export as nif. You can take a look here for the settings: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Fallout._Part_2

Ā 

If after the creation, the texturing and the rigging you'll have issues during the export, let me know.

10 minutes ago, A.J. said:

You must export using some settings. Blender 2.49 is pretty straight. If you use a higher version, I guess you can simply save as legacy and then import on the 2.49 and then export as nif. You can take a look here for the settings: http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Creating_an_armour_for_Fallout._Part_2

Ā 

If after the creation, the texturing and the rigging you'll have issues during the export, let me know.

I use 2.49 for Fallout, that's fine. Just unclear if the modifications can be made directly on the .NIF or if it needs to be converted to a different file type firstĀ  :)