Total Noob Here, need guidance

What's up, lovely people? First, allow me a short introduction.

I've been looking around through the old ModsGarden forum years ago and held on tight to all my TK17 files (currently using 7.5 version 10, I think?) and using them to produce a comic book series. I only found out about this place and would appreciate some guidance as to whether or not content was still being created for TK17 (I see now there is a VX version) and have a few questions. I also would like to upload and show you pics of my current progress with in-game screenshots if allowed.

1. Which version of TK17 is the best option for my computer? (10 GB RAM, 1TB, Win7 and as previously stated, currently on 7.5.0, unsure if there are any updates to it.)

2. I've heard about Hook4/5 for ages and I'm a literal IDIOT when it comes to working with graphic enhancers and I want to install them/add them to the game but don't even know how. PC has an AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon graphics, btw.

3. Do any of the updates take care of the 10+ minute loading of the game? Every time I want to take pictures OR customize characters OR custom edit poses, it takes an ungodly amount of time to load. Any current fixes on this?

Sorry if I went too overboard, but I really love this game and I would like to use it to create content that allows me to earn some side income because Fuck COVID-19, it ruined my life.

Greetings and salutations!

The Guy With The Trapper Hat

16 hours ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

I've been looking around through the old ModsGarden forum years ago and held on tight to all my TK17 files (currently using 7.5 version 10, I think?) and using them to produce a comic book series. I only found out about this place and would appreciate some guidance as to whether or not content was still being created for TK17 (I see now there is a VX version) and have a few questions. I also would like to upload and show you pics of my current progress with in-game screenshots if allowed.

1. Which version of TK17 is the best option for my computer? (10 GB RAM, 1TB, Win7 and as previously stated, currently on 7.5.0, unsure if there are any updates to it.)

2. I've heard about Hook4/5 for ages and I'm a literal IDIOT when it comes to working with graphic enhancers and I want to install them/add them to the game but don't even know how. PC has an AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon graphics, btw.

3. Do any of the updates take care of the 10+ minute loading of the game? Every time I want to take pictures OR customize characters OR custom edit poses, it takes an ungodly amount of time to load. Any current fixes on this?

Note: v7.5 & "VX" (aka "v10") are different versions. Newer VX adds a fourth actor, loads MUCH faster, and includes many many new enhancements.

VX is still a 32bit program, so more than 4gb of memory is of no benefit (even with the 4gb patch.) Win7 is still the best platform/OS to use.

You may have difficulty getting Hook4 to run once you've thoroughly modded TK17 as it does not manage memory as well. H5 works well. All it takes to "install" Hook is to put the files in the "Binaries" folder. That's it. TK17 recognizes and uses the mod on launch.

7 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Note: v7.5 & "VX" (aka "v10") are different versions. Newer VX adds a fourth actor, loads MUCH faster, and includes many many new enhancements.

VX is still a 32bit program, so more than 4gb of memory is of no benefit (even with the 4gb patch.) Win7 is still the best platform/OS to use.

You may have difficulty getting Hook4 to run once you've thoroughly modded TK17 as it does not manage memory as well. H5 works well. All it takes to "install" Hook is to put the files in the "Binaries" folder. That's it. TK17 recognizes and uses the mod on launch.

I heard on the other forums that the mods and binaries from 7.5 don't work on VX, is that correct? What about models I have created? Will those be lost as well? I'm worried about incompatibility issues amongst mods and T** files between versions.

Other than that, thanks for your time! I'll make sure to try both versions of the game and see which one works better for my needs.

11 minutes ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

I heard on the other forums that the mods and binaries from 7.5 don't work on VX, is that correct?

Other than that, thanks for your time! I'll make sure to try both versions of the game and see which one works better for my needs.

You can't expect everything to translate straight from one to the other, but MOST things can be moved one way or the other. It DEFINITELY doesn't work the other way though (no moving VX stuff to 7.5!) 

VX translates .txx files in the addons folder automatically, and most textures will work just like they did in 7.5. Try moving your content bit-by-bit, and then ask for advice when something f%¤&s up! :)

On 10/31/2020 at 2:11 PM, saberanger said:

You can't expect everything to translate straight from one to the other, but MOST things can be moved one way or the other. It DEFINITELY doesn't work the other way though (no moving VX stuff to 7.5!) 

VX translates .txx files in the addons folder automatically, and most textures will work just like they did in 7.5. Try moving your content bit-by-bit, and then ask for advice when something f%¤&s up! :)

Alrighty then! I'll have to download VX then and give it a shot. I just hope it runs smoothly and doesn't take 25 fucking minutes to load a room like my old 7.5 does. By the way, where do I put all .txx files?

I'll keep you posted on any happenings, you've been of great help!

On 10/31/2020 at 2:11 PM, saberanger said:

So basically I can move all .txx files in the Addons folder? What about textures? I put them in the ActiveMod folder and the game crashed before even opening properly, same with my PoseEdit and Save folders sans Models (those work fine). I'll keep you posted on anything I find.

Also, when I download exclusive content for VX, where does it all go?

Yes, just put the txx's in addons, the program will either extract them to folders, or convert them to zips, depending on your Options Manager settings. BUT if you just dump all your textures into your ActiveMod root folder, then yeah it's probably going to crash; especially if there are any scripts in there (that's new to VX). Most ActiveMod stuff has to be in its own folders, corresponding to whatever addon or default item they're for. It will take a little learning to know what goes where, because cars, clothes, and toys all work a bit differently. But, for the most part,unless you're trying to mod the progam itself, all addons will go into some combination of Addons or Mod\ActiveMod. Nothing goes in archives in VX.

"Exclusive Content" can mean anything. here, I assume it means "Only works in VX" (or 7.5) But, if you mean poses, they normally go in the Save folder. ToyMaker objects are a bit trickier, especially if you want to be able to edit them. There are also "Community" options for sharing and what-not, but I never learned how to use any of that stuff. I don't think a lot of that works in the KLUB17 version anyway.

Just fit your F1 key, it'll explain the basics.

7 hours ago, EJAX said:

Most ActiveMod stuff has to be in its own folders, corresponding to whatever addon or default item they're for. It will take a little learning to know what goes where, because cars, clothes, and toys all work a bit differently. 

I'm asking because I saw that dumping everything in the ActiveMod folder (they are all separated by their own folders) still made my game crash. I added textures for skins and clothes (which I'm most interested in putting in VX) and also some room textures that I can do without. So basically, I have to go through every folder individually to get my textures to work?

18 hours ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

I'm asking because I saw that dumping everything in the ActiveMod folder (they are all separated by their own folders) still made my game crash. I added textures for skins and clothes (which I'm most interested in putting in VX) and also some room textures that I can do without. So basically, I have to go through every folder individually to get my textures to work?

Most activemod textures work as-is without change.

VX does not support "loose" textures for eyes, eyelashes, etc placed in AM without a folder. A few naming conventions have changed as well, but for the most part, they will work same as before.

TXX files now go in "Addons" and will be automatically decompressed into zip files. If you use a Mod Manager, let me know. I have an app to simplify installing Addons for use with JSGME.

16 hours ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

So basically, I have to go through every folder individually to get my textures to work?

It kinda sounds that way.

I can't see how loading up your AM folder could cause the game to crash on startup, unless 1) you haven't applied the 4GB patch (If you have a 64bit OS you need to do that); or 2) you have scripts in there somewhere (they will have either a .bs or .[bsb] extension). Basically, if you DO find scripts in there, and the addon wasn't created within like the last couple of months, then that's something that probably belongs in your Addons folder. Base Addons will have a distinct folder structure: Images, Scenes, Scripts; and everything except the Images folder will contain either .bs or .[bsb] files. ActiveMod folders will just be a collection of images, .txf and sometimes .txt files.

But none of that should kill your game until you actually try to enter a room. I really don't know what else it could be. I've only ever had a couple of cases where textures caused my game to crash, and I'm not convinced it was the textures -- that was the wooden cane, and a couple of the the items from the food pack. But I had to load the actual toys to make it happen.

2 hours ago, EJAX said:

1) you haven't applied the 4GB patch (If you have a 64bit OS you need to do that)

Quick note: Even 32bit users need the patch. It does not give you access to more than 4gb. It allows 32bit apps to use all 4GB of addressable memory (Windows limits 32bit programs to 2GB of ram & 2GB of OS.)

Also, VX does not use a Scripts file. If it's in there, delete it.

I will tell you from experience, even with the old version 7.5 it was true: if you get long load times (2 min+) or frequent crashes, then you did something wrong, there is some problem. When you get a good repack and there is no mod conflict, there is no problems, people will tell you otherwise, but thats because they did it wrong for years and dont know what they are talking about. If you did everything and in the right order, it shouldnt crash through a power outage. And by that, if you are crashing just from "scripts" in your AM folder, then your install is REALLY fucked.

21 hours ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

So basically, I have to go through every folder individually to get my textures to work?

Yeah, you should DEFINITELY install and test each mod one at a time, to located problems. This engine, Skyrim it's not, you know.

Wow! So much helpful information! Thank you so much, guys!

23 hours ago, OysterMug said:

Most activemod textures work as-is without change. VX does not support "loose" textures for eyes, eyelashes, etc placed in AM without a folder. A few naming conventions have changed as well, but for the most part, they will work same as before.

Maybe that's the problem I had. I re-installed VX and it's working great, tried moving some old .txx files back to the Addons folder and no issues whatsoever. I'm running 64-bit Win7 and load time isn't longer than 2-3 minutes, thankfully.

8 hours ago, EJAX said:

I can't see how loading up your AM folder could cause the game to crash on startup, unless 1) you haven't applied the 4GB patch (If you have a 64bit OS you need to do that)

I don't use the 4GB patch (don't know how to work that, also I'm not installing H5 stuff... yet. I have no clue on how to do that at all.

2 hours ago, Arse22 said:

I will tell you from experience, even with the old version 7.5 it was true: if you get long load times (2 min+) or frequent crashes, then you did something wrong, there is some problem. When you get a good repack and there is no mod conflict, there is no problems, people will tell you otherwise, but thats because they did it wrong for years and dont know what they are talking about. If you did everything and in the right order, it shouldnt crash through a power outage. And by that, if you are crashing just from "scripts" in your AM folder, then your install is REALLY fucked.

Yeah, you should DEFINITELY install and test each mod one at a time, to located problems. This engine, Skyrim it's not, you know.

Welp, I had 7.5 installed on several 2GB RAM laptops in the past via Express Install (still on Win7) and all I did was just make a backup of Models, Textures and Archives to move upon installation there. It never occurred to me to try the game BEFORE putting all that shit in, which is what I did after installing VX. I loaded models and Addons on it and still runs smoothly. I'll take notice of getting rid of loose files on the AM folder before trying the game. It's mostly skins and underwear that concern me for now. In the meantime, I'll do just that. Here goes another day of troubleshooting.

Thank you all so much! Last but not least, I got Hook5 with my download. How do I install that?

The 4GB patch can be run from the Options Manager. And I can almost guarantee you that if you have more than just a handful of addons, your game is going to crash if you don't use it; especially if you plan to use Hook. Most people who try to help you with crashes will assume you've already run it. Personally, I think the team ought to start shipping it already patched. Hardly anyone runs 32bit systems anymore.

Quick Update: I have been installing a few more clothing and room addons and I have no problem running VX so far!  It works better than it ever has! No, I'm not running Hook5, nor do I wish to (yet), for I have NO IDEA how to install that. One minor gripe, though.

I know VX already comes loaded with a fuckton of hairstyles (which saved me a lot of hassle, ngl), but the ones I want to put in do not show up on the Customization menu at all, even after going into the Addons folder and properly converted! There are to my knowledge 485 available hairstyles in VX, but one time I added a few, it brought me down to 465 and even after putting several addons, I don't go beyond the 487. Can some hairstyles be removed from the actual game? I for one don't care AT ALL about SF, DOA or fricking MARIO hairstyles and need the space for hairs that do look cooler or suit my weeb-ish needs. Thank you!

1 hour ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

Quick Update: I have been installing a few more clothing and room addons and I have no problem running VX so far!  It works better than it ever has! No, I'm not running Hook5, nor do I wish to (yet), for I have NO IDEA how to install that. One minor gripe, though.

I know VX already comes loaded with a fuckton of hairstyles (which saved me a lot of hassle, ngl), but the ones I want to put in do not show up on the Customization menu at all, even after going into the Addons folder and properly converted! There are to my knowledge 485 available hairstyles in VX, but one time I added a few, it brought me down to 465 and even after putting several addons, I don't go beyond the 487. Can some hairstyles be removed from the actual game? I for one don't care AT ALL about SF, DOA or fricking MARIO hairstyles and need the space for hairs that do look cooler or suit my weeb-ish needs. Thank you!

I currently have a count of 1,230 hair styles, which includes straight addons and H5 textures. As far as I know, there are no limits. 

1 hour ago, generalkebab said:

I currently have a count of 1,230 hair styles, which includes straight addons and H5 textures. As far as I know, there are no limits. 

Wow... Then something must be wrong with my install or I'm doing something wrong. The .txx files I put in were automatically converted there, but don't appear in my hair menu. Do I need an utility tool to convert them?

I didn't, I just threw it all in there and the game sorted it out. Most the them are shite though and I really should try to pare them back.

Perhaps a lot of yours are replacers? If I'm right they'd overwrite many of the 400 included in stock VX, rather than add to your collection.

4 hours ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

Then something must be wrong with my install or I'm doing something wrong.

There's nothing wrong with your install that can't be fixed. This program uses an ID system to keep track of stuff. What's probably happening with your hairs is that they're trying to use an ID that's already taken. In options manager, under debug options, there's an option to "Ignore Fixed ID list". That'll give you unlimited slots, but it could possibly destroy any custom characters, outfits, etc, you have created. If you haven't already built a big collection of that, then it's not a problem.

20 hours ago, generalkebab said:

I didn't, I just threw it all in there and the game sorted it out. Most the them are shite though and I really should try to pare them back.

Perhaps a lot of yours are replacers? If I'm right they'd overwrite many of the 400 included in stock VX, rather than add to your collection.

The problem is that when I added, say, the JU Hair Pack (already included), it reduced the amount of slots available for my hairs. If that's the case, then I should just TKShellTools to convert all .txx files so I can add them right? And if it does replace them, then there shouldn't be an issue with that. In any case, I'll keep on trying. Thanks a lot! ✌️

17 hours ago, EJAX said:

There's nothing wrong with your install that can't be fixed. This program uses an ID system to keep track of stuff. What's probably happening with your hairs is that they're trying to use an ID that's already taken. In options manager, under debug options, there's an option to "Ignore Fixed ID list". That'll give you unlimited slots, but it could possibly destroy any custom characters, outfits, etc, you have created. If you haven't already built a big collection of that, then it's not a problem.

Well, I don't have a super huge collection just yet. I'm only worried that what I do have gets lost, but I already learned my way at doing backups of all my customized stuff, so there should be no problem there. I already clicked on the Ignore Fixed ID List and will see what happens then.

In other news, I also got the Hook5 stuff with my install. How do I set it up? I want to try it out to see if it's worth it since I take literally thousands of screenshots per use of the game. Thanks!

Okay, so new problem.

The Addons folder located in the TK17 program folder is supposed to convert all .txx files into .zip, right? Well, I just added a bunch of files there and it did NOT convert them. Could I get some help on how to do that? Options Manager says that .txx files are automatically converted (which WAS true, since that's what happened with all my old stuff) but it isn't happening now. Is there a specific reason?

5 hours ago, GuyInTheTrapperHat said:

Okay, so new problem.

The Addons folder located in the TK17 program folder is supposed to convert all .txx files into .zip, right? Well, I just added a bunch of files there and it did NOT convert them. Could I get some help on how to do that? Options Manager says that .txx files are automatically converted (which WAS true, since that's what happened with all my old stuff) but it isn't happening now. Is there a specific reason?

This may sound like a dumb question, but I assume you know it won't convert them until you actually run the program, yes? If it's not that, then I don't know what it could be. Sometimes this program forgets its settings, so you might fix it just by unchecking and rechecking it. Personally, I don't use the zips, I extract everything to folders so I can screw it up easier. :) Zip file support was a recent addition so it might still have some bugs.

As for Hook, it's just a simple matter of dropping the files in your binaries folder and setting the program to run in DirectX mode. It's getting it configured the way you want without it crashing your setup that's the tricky part. Hook is something I know how to get working, but really don't have the patience to use. But if you're going for realism it's an absolute must-have. Most people around here swear by it (or AT it).

8 minutes ago, EJAX said:

This may sound like a dumb question, but I assume you know it won't convert them until you actually run the program, yes? If it's not that, then I don't know what it could be. Sometimes this program forgets its settings, so you might fix it just by unchecking and rechecking it. Personally, I don't use the zips, I extract everything to folders so I can screw it up easier. :) Zip file support was a recent addition so it might still have some bugs.

Actually that's what happened. I tried it and I didn't seem to have any issues anymore except that there were some files I put in Addons that didn't get converted no matter what (going back to avoiding duplicate files within the game, I assume...), but other than that, it's been working neatly.

10 minutes ago, EJAX said:

As for Hook, it's just a simple matter of dropping the files in your binaries folder and setting the program to run in DirectX mode. It's getting it configured the way you want without it crashing your setup that's the tricky part. Hook is something I know how to get working, but really don't have the patience to use. But if you're going for realism it's an absolute must-have. Most people around here swear by it (or AT it).

So it's pretty much a drag-and-drop install? I could really use some assistance in setting it up. I don't know anything about it other than it is a graphic enhancer of sorts and I can't run certain rooms and effects without it, and since I'm not a programmer or know anything about graphics enhancement, I'm worried about it fucking up my game. Would you kindly let me know how to properly set it up and what's the difference between H5 Free and Paid if you know that? Thanks!