6 hours ago, Abraxis00 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there, but somehow the revisions I made to the .mod file didn't seem to have saved properly.  It should still function properly, but if you don't want the error message, I just uploaded version 1.0.1, which should have the revised .mod file.  (No other updates to anything.)

Edit: Okay, that's odd.  It looks like whenever I open up the Paradox Launcher, it overwrites the .mod file with the very first version I used.  That might be what's happening to you, too.

I don't have time to sort that out today, but I'll try to take a look at it over the weekend.

Is it the .mod file that's the issue or the descriptor file that lists the supported version? 

15 hours ago, Abraxis00 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there, but somehow the revisions I made to the .mod file didn't seem to have saved properly.  It should still function properly, but if you don't want the error message, I just uploaded version 1.0.1, which should have the revised .mod file.  (No other updates to anything.)

Edit: Okay, that's odd.  It looks like whenever I open up the Paradox Launcher, it overwrites the .mod file with the very first version I used.  That might be what's happening to you, too.

I don't have time to sort that out today, but I'll try to take a look at it over the weekend.

the descriptor.mod in the mod folder contains the old information. This is why the launcher overwrites it probably. It just doesnt look nice, the mod itself isnt changed. But if you update the information in the descriptor.mod in the BasicPureBlood folder, then the launcher doesnt overwrite it anymore.

As copied from the .mod file:

version="1.0.1"
tags={
	"Character Interactions"
	"Balance"
}
name="Basic Pure Blood"
supported_version="1.1.2"

descriptor.mod

1 hour ago, Abraxis00 said:

That must be it -- I haven't been paying attention to the descriptor file at all.  (Like I said, I'm new at this.)

I'll patch it up and get a new version out later today, when I've got a free minute.  Thanks a lot!

no worries, we all miss things. Thank you for putting the time into the mod :)

Recommendation but would take some work.  If only 'one' parent has it there is a high chance for a "half-blood" option.  Then if you have two "half-bloods" potentially make a "pure blood" on a lucky roll with half being more likely.  But that would take a bit more nesting in the congenial traits.

Also just asking is this completely compatible with Canalis?

I think any modification to trait inheritance would be well beyond my skills at this point.  But the pre-programmed trait inheritance system does seem to get the traits going quickly enough if you're properly marrying off your family, so it's probably not a hugely pressing need.

And the mod should be completely compatible with Carnalitas -- I've been using them together and haven't had any problems at all.  The only way problems could arise is if Carnalitas ever tries to modify any of the traits this mod adjusts, which is pretty unlikely.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure -- I'll look into it next time I do an update.  That's one thing I hadn't even considered.  (May be a while -- the election is stressing me out, and I haven't had a lot of energy for creative things as a result.)

Plans for the next update include adjusting help texts so they describe Inbred as a positive result of inbreeding instead of negative -- I've got that mostly written up already.

• 3 weeks later...

Only two things I can think of:

1) Make sure you have the files in the proper place.  In your /mod folder, there should be a file called BasicPureBlood.mod, and a folder called BasicPureBlood that in turn has a file called descriptor.mod and folders called /common, /gfx, and /localization.  If there's an extra layer of folders somewhere it won't work.

2) I haven't played the game since the new patch dropped -- it's possible there's some sort of compatibility error.  I'll check on that when I can, though it might not be until this weekend.

Mod is working for me on the new patch. In almost all ways, inbred is correctly identified as a positive, including even some niche cases I honestly wasn't expecting it to work in, such as the Strengthen Bloodline decision.

However, I have found at least one bug to report: Tanistry Succession. The "Unbred Freak" modifier from the Inbred trait is still a -15 penalty.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Belated reply to the previous few posts, but the mod still functions with the current version of the game.  As for updates, I've been pretty busy, but I've tried to take a little time to poke at new updates for the mod -- specifically, trying to write up a few incest-themed sex scenes compatible with Carnalitas.  No promises about when it'll get done.

I've also tried to look at the game's files to figure out where the Tanistry problem is coming from, but I haven't found it yet.  When I get some serious time to sit down and work, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

• 6 months later...

I don't have the game installed at the moment (I'm still not happy with the way they've treated gay marriage), but I think it should probably still be working.  I haven't fixed bugs mentioned earlier in the thread, and probably am not going to unless Paradox fixes the gay marriage problems in a way I'm happy with, but it should still work as well as it ever did.

8 hours ago, Abraxis00 said:

I don't have the game installed at the moment (I'm still not happy with the way they've treated gay marriage), but I think it should probably still be working.  I haven't fixed bugs mentioned earlier in the thread, and probably am not going to unless Paradox fixes the gay marriage problems in a way I'm happy with, but it should still work as well as it ever did.

I just downloaded it and tried to use it. The launcher says the mod is out of date. I'd edit the files myself to update the numbers, but I have no idea what program to open it with.

Edit: managed to open it up in dreamweaver and changed the version in the two files in the mod. I'm testing it to see if the mod actually works in game. If it does, I'll just upload the two files here.

Edit 2: The game starts up is it should, but when I went through character creation, it still listed inbreeding as a bad effect with lots of negative effects. So I think the mod maaaaaaay be dead.

Edited by lorddane
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it's actually possible (even if the mod author is willing to do it, considering he considers this complete), but I have a few suggestions with this mod. First (and the part that would be either impossible or time-consuming), is instead of a general Inbred trait change, make the positive version tied to the Divine Marriage tenet.

Second, speaking of Divine Marriage, I think it is one of the weakest tenets out there (nothing but a +10 to vassal approval if you marry a close family member). Making a positive Inbred trait for it would help (and may actually be enough to compare to something like the Pursuit of Power CBs), but making it so Incestuous is a virtue for Divine Marriage would also work (and maybe if you do that, make Fornicator/Adulterer a virtue for Polyamory). One problem is that if your religion accepts certain traits (those 3, plus Sodomite), then you can't gain them for some screwy reason. I posted that on the paradox forums, and the vest I got was "Since Incestuous/Fornicator/Adulterer/Sodomite are fame traits, you can't gain fame for doing things that are accepted." Then that poster has the gall to point out that witchcraft is still gained because it actually has benefits outside of a simple same-trait approval increase.

On 2/17/2021 at 4:59 PM, Andarus said:

I would like a Mod that just lowers the chances of the bad Incest traits and increases the chances of the pure blood trait. Just making the Inbred Trait totally overpowered seems a bit too crazy. Is there a Mod like that?

This takes around 1-2 minutes to do yourself. Here is an example mod, you just need to enter a few things.

First you need to copy the content of this archive to your mod folder, which is under .../documents/paradox interactive/crusader kings iii/mod/

So that the file "MyExampleMod.mod" and the contained folder of the same name are directly resting inside the default mod folder.

MyExampleMod.zip

1. In the file "MyExampleMod.mod", in line 7 you need to enter your own path for your windows user account (iirc this is necessary for loose file mods to work)

2. To edit the mod name, you need to change three instances

- modname inside "MyExampleMod.mod"

- modname inside "Descriptor.mod"

- the name of the "MyExampleMod" folder itself

3. Then you have to tweak the inbreeding factors. This example mod only contains an unmodded, up to date version of "00_defines.txt". If Paradox updates the game you have to copy over the new version of the 00_defines.txt from your game installation and make the same changes again.

Inbreeding factors start in line 388, or just CTRL+F and search for "inbreeding". The devs actually wrote notes alongside that to explain what the values do. For your purpose, these first two are the most relevant:

INBRED_CHANCE_FACTOR_LEVELS = { 0.33 0.75 1 2 3 }

This compares the amount of common ancestors within 4 generations, depending on the values in the line ANCESTOR_COUNT_LEVELS above that. For example the final tier with 22+ common ancestors is multiplied with the final number here, which is 3. So the chance to become inbred should be 66%. Change this to a lower number to reduce the inbred chance, example 0.5 would be 11% chance.

IIRC the "inbreeding chance modifier" is 1, and halved by the pure-blooded trait and possibly the third perk from the Blood dynasty legacy. So with -50% from pure-blooded and -30% from the legacy, the inbred chance would be very low already.

PUREBLOODED_CHANCE_FACTOR_LEVELS = { 0 0.15 0.3 }

This is the same as above, but instead defines the chance to become pure-blooded. So to increase the chance, you would need a higher value. IIRC the appearance of pure-blooded is also affected by the Blood Legacy and the Strengthen Bloodline bonus.

PUREBLOODED_CHANCE_ANCESTOR_COUNT_LEVELS = { 20 22 }

If you want pure-blooded to start appearing with less common ancestors than 20, you could change this alongside PUREBLOODED_CHANCE_FACTOR_LEVELS to work identical to the inbred chance.

CLOSE_FAMILY_FERTILITY_MULTIPLIER = 0.9

Lastly, this value reduces the chance for children if parents are considered "close family" (i.e. having a family tag like sister, aunt etc). If you change this to 1 then there is no reduced fertility.

---------------

So if anyone wonders why i don't upload this as my own mod:

1. It makes the dynastic breeding too easy because there is zero risk involved, just marry your sister/niece/cousin in every generation and don't lose prestige or claims.

2. I probably can't be bothered to ever update such a mod if i don't use it myself.

If anyone wants to upload this as a mod, you would have to convert it into a shareable .zip mod, which does not depend on the username//documents path and can also not be live edited. Just ask around what you need to do for that.

Edited by guk
fixed wrong upload
2 hours ago, guk said:

This takes around 1-2 minutes to do yourself. Here is an example mod, you just need to enter a few things.

[...]

Awesome.

I don't need this file, but I do need to express how great your answer is.

Your answer is not only technically on point, but also considerate human nature.

Providing an uploaded template to work with, explaining how to get it to work. Listing where to find attributes to customize, providing alternative (and general) ways to get there with the f*ing search function. Interpretation help for the dev notes, pointers for relevant entries. More general tips how to work with it.

Finally an explanation why you don't provide it yourself, but what is relevant if someone else does and a both implicit encouragement and explicit empowerment to do it under achievable circumstances.

Just. Outstanding.