Obligatory incest mod

You're thinking it. I'm thinking it. The best way to preserve a dynasty is to keep that filthy outsider blood from tainting our pure heritage. Horrible genetic deformities aside, there's definitely a loverslab element to be exploited here, and I was wondering if there was any interest in a mod to add some incest flavor.

no I wasn't thinking it but now that you mention.. its pretty much already in the game to be honest.

you can already set religious beliefs around incest when reforming or creating a new religion.

In some cases rulers will naturally gravitate towards marrying within their own family if prestige is high enough.. 

what more features do you want?

Yeah I wonder what kind of changes an "incest mod" would make.

Right now I have an empire with its own branch of Christianity with unrestricted marriage. My Dynasty is probably 90% "in the family". I found the congenitals I wanted early on and now almost every child born to my dynasty is a genius etc.

What's missing?

Maybe some additional scenes or events? I haven't gone the whole circular family tree route yet myself but from what I have seen the game doesn't seem to treat it particularly differently than normal romance, which isn't ideal if the taboo of it is what gets you excited. Beyond that, though, I'm not really sure. CK3 does make it remarkably easy to lean pretty hard into it. Sometimes it'll even do it by itself. Set up a heresy with unrestricted marriage as the byzantines and bounced to a few other rulers for a while and when I popped back in I had a granddaughter-daughter-sister-wife. 

Neat to see some discussion here.

I mean mostly in terms of flavor. Incest as a mechanic is already there of course, but somehow it doesn't hold the same oomf if you have the exact same events with your relatives as with other people. New scenes and events like Combaticus said would be lovely.

It would actually be cool to have variations on the extant lover/family related events that only fire in incestuous circumstances and reflect those circumstances.

Being discovered as a cheater has got to be a lot more awkward when your wife is berating you for seducing your daughter, who is crying in the other room while she waits for the guards to take her away.

1 hour ago, Abraxis00 said:

My personal preference would be to try to poke at the genetics somehow.  Making Inbred a positive trait, for instance -- and ideally removing the increased chance to get negative traits that goes along with it.

There's already a positive inbreeding trait - Pure Blood. Which does what you're describing ;)

First problem I found was that its really hard to change to a religion that allows you to marry your siblings. If you do that everyone hates you. Also the bad traits are ridiculous. In real Life nothing bad happens unless you practice incest over multiple generations.

And the overall goal should be that you can form some kind of blue blood bloodline that gives your family some good traits.

2 minutes ago, Andarus said:

First problem I found was that its really hard to change to a religion that allows you to marry your siblings. If you do that everyone hates you. Also the bad traits are ridiculous. In real Life nothing bad happens unless you practice incest over multiple generations.

And the overall goal should be that you can form some kind of blue blood bloodline that gives your family some good traits.

You can overcome the negative congenital traits with Pure Blooded. However, Pure Blooded will have to be changed to have it inheritable 100% of the time.

21 minutes ago, nugerumon said:

They were um... in the 40-60 range. Maybe there's an upper limit too?

Dunno, but I've never had a problem with sibling incest in my games. I usually end up marrying my daughter and son together with divine marriage tenet. Siblings oftentimes seduce each other and their parents. It just might be your RNG.

For guaranteed success, you need to take that lifestyle perk.

Otherwise it's still a random chance that is pretty strict for close relatives. Otherwise, this modifier will decide your success:

#How likely a character is to accept sexual/romantic advances from someone they're related to. Should be used in the scope of TARGET.
incest_acceptance_modifier = {

#Basic willingness modifier
    modifier = {
        #Only do calculation if SEDUCER is a family member and target isn't 100% fine with incest with SEDUCER
        is_close_or_extended_family_of = $SEDUCER$
        NOT = { accepts_incest_with_trigger = { CHARACTER = $SEDUCER$ } }
        factor = {
            value = 1

## NEGATIVE FACTORS ##

#Is this seen as incestuous? Norms & consequences
            if = {
                limit = { relation_with_character_is_incestuous_in_my_or_lieges_faith_trigger = { CHARACTER = $SEDUCER$ } }
                add = -0.8
            }

# "Reverse sexual imprinting"
            if = {
                limit = { is_close_family_of = $SEDUCER$ }
                add = -0.9
            }
            else_if = {
                limit = { is_extended_family_of = $SEDUCER$ }
                add = -0.3
            }

min = 0

## POSITIVE FACTORS ##
            if = {
                limit = { is_deviant_trigger = yes }
                add = 0.3
            }

max = 1

## HARD REJECT ##
            if = {
                limit = {
                    guaranteed_under_20_incest_rejection_trigger = {
                        TARGET = $TARGET$
                        SEDUCER = $SEDUCER$
                    }
                }
                value = 0
            }
        }
    }
}

As you can see, religion only gives you a chance of 10% for close relatives, not a guarantee.

On 9/20/2020 at 1:00 PM, thuggins said:

There's already a positive inbreeding trait - Pure Blood. Which does what you're describing ;)

Yeah, but to get it is a small random chance after several generations of inbreeding.  It would be nice if a mod just swapped it over so, for instance, you never got the Inbred trait, and instead had a high chance to get the Pure Blood trait much more quickly.  It also doesn't come with many positive effects, compared to the negative ones Inbred does. And there are traits with a 'caused by inbreeding' flag, and they're all very negative -- hunchback, club foot, scaly, etc.

For a full Pure Blood mod, I'd like to see things flipped around -- Pure Blood is easier to get and gives stat bonuses all around, and the negative congenital traits no longer come about through incest, but the positive ones do -- so inbreeding would give a higher chance of getting traits like intelligent, attractive, strong, or fecund.  I haven't looked at the files to see how hard this would be (and I don't have a lot of modding experience anyway), but it would be nice if it could be done.

It's not just the Pure Blood trait - there are Dynasty perks that reduce negative and enhance positive inheritance.

If you pitch your family members' education towards Intrigue and Lustful, there's a strong tendency for the AI to end up with the perk that removes incest penalties, as well. Which eases incest seduction.

Creating a religion that has unrestricted marriage and Polyamory takes care of most negative modifiers. Getting dynasty and lifestyle perks that add to schemes against your dynasty or courtiers also helps.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:31 AM, IDAZIZ said:

I think that inbreeding would give more positive traits than not is unbalanced, there is already dynastic perks that give you better chances to have positive traits.

I don't think that's particularly a problem.  Most people here aren't picking their mods for balance and challenge, they're picking them to indulge in fantasy.  And being overpowered or being rewarded for your preferred play style is a perfectly valid form of fantasy.  If nothing else, they don't have to add the mod if they think it's too much.  Some of my favorite CK2 mods made the player slightly or vastly overpowered, from the simple ones like Ruler Designer Unlocked all the way to the tentacle powers of Tentacled Dreams.

In fact, I was poking at the code for a bit to see if I could get anything to work, and before I knew it I had a simple mod that does exactly what I wanted.  I just uploaded it -- I hope people find it interesting, and I'm open to feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Creator of INCproject for ck2 here, I am working on something similiar to it in ck3 but I am using the already present "incestuous" trait, as with my description of the mod for ck2 do not expect me having any release dates or anything of the sort, when its done it will be done (if its even done) just saying I am playing with the code and if anything becomes a thing I might post it