Message duration

grifterrik

I've been digging through the forum for a couple of days and haven't been able to find the answer to this question:

Is there any way to make the messages in the upper left corner last longer?

A couple of mods, like LoversEncounter for instance, have messages I'd like to read (and others have errors I probably should read) but they just aren't there long enough to see.

Also, it seems hit or miss, as some mods have messages that last as long as Vanilla, but others are only there for 1 second (literally).

I've looked all over (not just here on LL) for info on how to make the messages last longer in general, or how to edit an existing mod to change it.  I've also looked for UI mods that might have that function.  I haven't found anything so far, and I think a big problem is that the words I'm searching for are so general that anything useful to me is lost amongst millions of results (words like "message, log, etc).

Anyway, any help or thoughts are appreciated, thanks!

In general if a mod uses the 'Message' or 'MessageEX' function to display a message in the upperleft corner it will present for 3 seconds. The displayseconds part of 'Message' does not seem to function. Some feel that the time displayed is tied to the questdelaytime of the mod. I think conversations (the subtittles) will push it off quicker also.

In other words: I dont think anyone has figured that one out yet. ;)

Mem

I'm actually having the same issue with LoversEncounter. The odd thing is that the messages displayed fine previously, but after starting with a clean oblivion install the messages are disappearing very quickly even though I'm using the same version of LoversEncounter. Between the two installs i updated a lot of lovers mods, but I'm using largely the same ones. My guess is that its not LoverEncounter's fault but possibly an incompatability with another lovers mod.

So far this is the only mod to have this problem, but I haven't had the opportunity to test Tamagonews yet (worked fine previously).

If you happen to get it figured out I would really appreciate if you could let me know.  I messed with it a bit but eventually just gave up. 

I can usually see the names when the messages pop up (also have the issue with Tamagonews and player slave encounters) but I know I'm missing out on some flavor text which is kinda a shame.

Okay, solved the problem I was having and hope it works for you. The solution was actually frustratingly simple.

1) Find menuque.ini in data\obse\plugins

2) open menuque.ini

3) Just under [uI:General] it says "Fix bug with a UI message to actually use variable durations."

"bFixMessageDuration=1"
4) Change "bFixMessageDuration=1" to  "bFixMessageDuration=0"

This may be different for other versions of menuque, im using v11b.

Hope this helps!

• 4 months later...

I had this issue as well, same solution, but I wanted to add that you can also change how long messages stay on the screen by editing -

; Default UI message duration when one is not provided.
iDefaultMessageDuration=X
; Maximum duration for UI messages.
iMaxMessageDuration=X

The first one seems to relate to messages that still only pop up for a couple of seconds after you apply the first fix (still better than half a second), and helped a lot with some of the longer messages.

The second, for me so far, will make most messages stay on screen for the set amount of time. Too long and it gets really annoying  :s

I wouldn't say that the fix broke it. Since the lenght parameter of the Message function was not doing anything many just skipped it. When the fixed fixed it those messages without time specified lasted only a minimal default amount of time.

That's how I understand it. So actually leaving the fix on and instead setting the default min time should be a better solution.

I'm not home right now so I can't check that but I have a strong feeling that should work

• 1 month later...

I am sure this is a stupid thing to ask, but you are using "Elys universal silent voice" it is very much needed in order to read anything that pops up on the screen.

I know I am sure you are using it, but I wanted to mention it.

It was just that I never saw it mentioned in here, and when people have a flashing text problem it is my first guess.

Archived