**MUST SEE!!!!!!**Square Enix shows us their latest engine! SIMPLY STUNNING!!!

Whether the video is fake or not' date=' there is no doubt that Square Enix is among the top when it comes to graphics. I just wish they would release a decent final fantasy game. After FF10 they have all been pretty lackluster, granted... I HAVE still played them all...

Actually now that I think about it, when was the last time Square Enix made a decent game that didnt come from a company they bought. I just hope Eidos doesnt succumb to the Squeenix virus and become Squidix.

[/quote']

For the record, 10 sucked ass. I miss the world map :P

Most people question my sanity when I rave and praise Square-Enix's Luminous engine like it's the best thing ever. Maybe they're not looking hard enough, or perhaps they're nit-picking and are biased against Square-Enix, but you have to admit that the visuals are absolutely stunning simply for its realism. If I had not known that this was a tech demo of a graphics engine, I would've said that this was simply a 10 second video of some random dude videotaping as he approaches some random garage. And even if I knew ahead of time that this was a tech demo, I would have had to look closely to ensure that it was CG and not real. (Which I did, and I easily verified this by noticing some pixelations, such as the black bar on the ground as you get closer to the entrance.)

I understand that in the end, tech demos of graphics engines are pretty much useless because it's up to the game developers to utilize its capabilities. Unfortunately, for the sake of compatibility and performance, most games don't end up using it to the max. But it just goes to show the POTENTIAL of the graphics engine, and I'd be damned if we'll see a game in the future where it'll look so realistic I'd forget I was playing a game.

• 1 month later...

Kind of a disappointment to see that the vid was 10 seconds of a camera going down a hall.

With no reflective surfaces, nothing organic and no animated objects it's hard to see what the fuss is about.

The lifelike camera bounce added hugely to the illusion of how realistic it looked, but the environment isn't anything to get excited about just yet.

• 5 months later...

Just a note here, did anyone see the graphics of the cutscenes in FFXIII?

Then compare it to the gameplay graphics.

This demo probably only improves the cutscene graphics, because if those are gameplay graphics then how powerful must the PS4/X720 be to run them?

Makes a GTX680 running BF3 or any other game look like a whimp.

Hm don't get it what's this all about crapy video of guy walking into tunel? and some speculations? no demo or other proof and people cry AWESOME pathetic...

Also last good final fantasy i did play was ff9 and ffx both on emulator the new ff is all about gfx it's lost all soul that made it enjoyable.

No idea if im old 26 years but for me gameplay is enought don't really care about gfx...

Still playing dos games and proud of it also the ultimate test for me will be old ufo: enemy unknown vs the x-com they are making but im preaty sure old one will win in my book :)

If we diden't have so many retarded kids looking only at gfx we would not have to buy new hardware every year...

Hard to tell with in OP's vid how good it is without moving light sources or anything moving but the camera because that could just mean all of the lighting effects are baked into the textures.

It's for the PS4 and next gen Xbox according to:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/e3-2012-square-enix-presents-the-lumines-engine

They haven't said exactly what hardware they used to run this but did say it was rendered in real time and thus not a prerendered cutscene.

[video=youtube]

The hair and cloth dynamics are what I found most impressive for real time rendering. But then again, aren't we expecting this sort of evolution for next gen games anyway? Still, good to see that it is for real likely coming soon.

I'll believe this when I see it in person. They've made outlandish claims before and never followed through. Plus there seems to be a stark difference between the "photo realism" of Final Fantasy scene and the clip of walking down a ramp. While I am impressed with the detail and quality of the former, I strongly suspect the latter is fake.

Not much improvement from what we got now.

I did play Max Payne on max details and it kinda looked better than this pre rendered crap...

Also if this is fake maybe not who cares things can change before they release anything.

They want to pump people with hope of next gen diden't work for me it's more like ps 3.5 and x540 :)

Maybe they're rendering it at an insane resolution, 5760x3240 and then just showing it off at 720/1080p?

Because if you're sitting 10 inches away from your screen you won't notice the lack of anti aliasing the average PC gamer would.

But wait, it might not be released on PC -_-

A resolution of 3240 over 1080 would require 9x graphics processing power. If the screen resolution height is 3x in pixels, then the resolution area is 9x in pixels.

Who sits 10 inches form their screen? That's insane! Well, unless it's a tiny screen.

A resolution of 3240 over 1080 would require 9x graphics processing power. If the screen resolution height is 3x in pixels' date=' then the resolution area is 9x in pixels.

Who sits 10 inches form their screen? That's insane! Well, unless it's a tiny screen.

[/quote']

Well if you have a 32"-50" TV then would you sit 2" away from it?

lol

And last I checked people played console games on their TV

And its just a tech-demo, they could be doing all sorts of things.

Like maybe rendering it at 540p then upscaling via awesome video editing skills maybe?

Of course they could always drop in an AMD FireStorm 9370, or maybe 4 ;)