Race Controller confusion (Creating a Race mod)

I've been trying to learn my way around the SSE CK and so I started by creating a custom race mod. I duplicated the Nord race, but added all body parts and other assets from other mods I've downloaded. I've got it all working to my satisfaction, but during the whole process I kept reading about Race Controller scripts and the Race Compatibility mod. I couldn't really find a detailed guide about race controllers except for the one on Nexus titled something like "Creating a Custom Race (the right way)". This guide is just step by step instructions with no explanation and when I completed it my race looked all out of whack in-game, like it was using mixed vanilla faceparts, which I'm not using at all. So I deleted the RaceController quest object from my mod, and now, even though my mod works fine for me, I can't shake the feeling like I did it all wrong or there's something major that I'm missing.

So what exactly is the purpose of the RaceController and why is it needed, especially if my mod appears to work correctly without it? Sorry if this is a really dumb question but I've been messing with this over the past week and I've googled so much and even examined other Race mods to see how they do things, and all the information I find is so disparate as to be useless to me. Even that tutorial from the Nexus assumes the reader already knows why they need a RaceController.

• 11 months later...