Framerate instantly drops from maximum to 1 FPS, leaving the cell or running `smp reset` temporarily fixes it

Occasionally my FPS drops down to about 1. Usually it stays right at the vsync frame rate of 60. I eventually narrowed the problem down to SMP. Do you know of a fix to stop it happening permanently? Perhaps it is a setting in ENB or a DLL fix plugin?

• While playing SSE performance monitors show GPU utilization at <70%. CPU utilization is about 25%. Usually no individual core is close to 100%.
  • When this bug happens all CPU cores instantly go to 100%.
  • I can leave the area or cell and jump back to 60FPS. Returning to a problem cell causes the FPS to drop again. Saving and reloading does not fix it unless I exit SSE before reloading.
  • In populated areas it happens more frequently. Sometimes I go 20 minutes without issue. Sometimes only 2 minutes.
  • I recently discovered that running the console command smp reset instantly fixes it. Close console and resume 60FPS gameplay.
On 4/26/2020 at 4:50 AM, kaxat said:

Occasionally my FPS drops down to about 1. Usually it stays right at the vsync frame rate of 60. I eventually narrowed the problem down to SMP. Do you know of a fix to stop it happening permanently? Perhaps it is a setting in ENB or a DLL fix plugin?

• While playing SSE performance monitors show GPU utilization at <70%. CPU utilization is about 25%. Usually no individual core is close to 100%.
  • When this bug happens all CPU cores instantly go to 100%.
  • I can leave the area or cell and jump back to 60FPS. Returning to a problem cell causes the FPS to drop again. Saving and reloading does not fix it unless I exit SSE before reloading.
  • In populated areas it happens more frequently. Sometimes I go 20 minutes without issue. Sometimes only 2 minutes.
  • I recently discovered that running the console command smp reset instantly fixes it. Close console and resume 60FPS gameplay.

I think you got yourself a case of spooky skeletons bud. Probably some modded NPCs who have their own skeletons, and SMP is going crazy trying to apply physics to non existent bones. Throw your mod list that way, or check in your meshes folder all the entries in "actors" and "characters", especially check NPCs replacers and custom followers. Also sexlab mods that could add some NPCs with their own skeletons. Double check your install order, that nothing is overwriting XPMS' latest skeleton. 

14 hours ago, Redflyingmonkey said:

I think you got yourself a case of spooky skeletons bud. Probably some modded NPCs who have their own skeletons, and SMP is going crazy trying to apply physics to non existent bones. Throw your mod list that way, or check in your meshes folder all the entries in "actors" and "characters", especially check NPCs replacers and custom followers. Also sexlab mods that could add some NPCs with their own skeletons. Double check your install order, that nothing is overwriting XPMS' latest skeleton. 

Your guess appears correct. SoS was a conflicting plugin. I discovered that SoS contains an optional additional plugin for SMP physics. After downloading the plugin number 2 this issue stopped. Great thanks to Redflyingmonkey. The solution would never be found without you.

10 hours ago, kaxat said:

Your guess appears correct. SoS was a conflicting plugin. I discovered that SoS contains an optional additional plugin for SMP physics. After downloading the plugin number 2 this issue stopped. Great thanks to Redflyingmonkey. The solution would never be found without you.

Good job man.