OS required ?

Hello, I would like to know if the mods and the framework are compatible with Linux distros.
I tried looking for that but didn't find any info.
BTW I didn't buy the game for now, but I'll do it when it'll be on sales

I AM NOT A TECHE JUST A THINKER. TAKE EVERYTHING I SAY WITH A PILE OF SALT.

Hmm... lets see... can your Linux use exe files? all I know about Linux is that you can't use some Windows stuff on it. Fallout should have a version that is Linux compatible, and if not, you could always use a Windows emulator.

If your Linux can run exe files then you should be fine. don't read any more unless your curious (Don't take my word for it, i'm just a windows user)

You'll have to check if it can run any mod manager since that is the best way to install mods. Mod organizer, Nexus mod manager, Vortex, etc. there's also Loot or something along that line, a program to sort your load order and you need it.

Next is the 4 GB patch. if you get the GOG version your in luck, it's executable should already be patched. otherwise that is also an exe that seems to use DOS so that might not work. You can play without the patch but you will lag or even crash with demanding mods.

most mods are in a package that is made by Bethesda's engine, it is what they used to make the game so any mods you get that is made by it, including from here, should work without a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

Fallout New Vegas is Windows-only(as are mod managers for it, naturally), so you'll have to use Wine. With that caveat, and assuming you have a fairly recent version of Wine installed(if you're using Ubuntu-based distro(and especially if you're on LTS branch like 18.04) and are having issues(with New Vegas or just wine in general), you may want to use the official PPA instead of the version in the repositories), New Vegas works very well in Wine and you're unlikely to run into compatibility issues caused by mods(unless you try to install something like Tale of Two Wastelands.

edit: although, since on Linux most file systems are case-sensitive while Windows file systems are case insensitive, you have to be careful about that. If you have two folders, one called textures and one called Textures, that will cause issues(which you can fix by moving everything from one folder to the other).

Archived