I did this a while ago, and I even talked about it in another thread but I had forgotten that I did this last year.

There already is this modification on this forum

which also has a tutorial for how to do it yourself. The difference is that you need the master files for that one.

Here I only used tes4edit to remove the ai-packages of casting spells and training weapons, removed the marked for no-rumor and essential, and moved respective packages and combat styles to respective .esp and removed the scripts. And today I managed to move them all into one file! Wow I love tes4edit!!

Here are all the 83 companions from the original mod, placed in the inns and other locations that they can be found. The are just normal NPCs with no special disposition towards the player, ready to be recruited or romanticized or enslaved or what you feel like doing, with any mod of YOUR choice, because these ones cannot be recruited by the cm-system anymore.

Kudos to Cutthroat Mods for making the original. Which actually was a huge undertaking that totally changed the gaming experience for many many players. He was one of the pioneers of changing this game into something beautiful. (if the publishing company of this game would have let the developers do what they had in mind it would have been beautiful already)

Liberated CM companions.esp