After 170 hours playing the PC version of Skyrim, my thoughts.

I'm gonna sound like a fanboy at this point, but I don't see an inherent problem with enemies being harder, mainly because sneak attacks do multiple times damage and due to the fact that you can get some pretty absurd chameleon levels to make you almost undetectable. Since I almost always play as a stealth character, I guess I never noticed how tedious it can get if you're actually fighting them head on.

As for rare gear, on the one hand I agree that random bandits running around in full Daedric armor is incredibly stupid and makes no sense. On the other, at higher levels, I think it's equally absurd to cap enemies at something like iron or steel, as it reduces their ability to survive in fights (because as a sneaky chameleon ass, I sneak crit everybody). This is true in Skyrim, where at my current level of 55, I can run into any bandit or Foresworn camp and kill everybody in one or two hits because they're still mostly running around in hide armor.

I'm more of a fan of scaling enemies than what older games had, where enemies were set levels, making you, upon a certain level, basically some sort of god mode because you're much higher than most of them. But it's a fine balance that TES has yet to really find, and until then, you either get balls to the wall hard (if you're not a sneaky fuck) or painfully pitiful at level 60.

Every TES game has jack shit in the way of dungeon variety and landscape changes. Skyrim is just like Oblivion; you go from white to green, and if you want to mix it up, add some mountains. It's just that Syrim has more rivers, while Oblivion has more forest. Skyrim does have some more, granted, but they're just as bland as everything else; after the thirtieth time running through an ancient Nord cyrpt, I long for the days of running through Ayleid ruins. Not to mention that Dwemer ruins have had all their Morrowind charm sucked out of them, replaced with mostly stone and some steam pipes.

Character design wise, I never once looked at somebody in Skyrim and said to myself "Yeah, that's better than Oblivion." Nor have I said the reverse, because I never noticed a massive difference. Now, maybe if I was going from Morrowind to Skyrim...

As for guilds, honestly, most of the quests they had in Oblivion didn't FEEL like padding; they felt like they were actual things you had to do for a guild to advance. You got grunt work because you were low on the food chain, and you got better ones as you proved yourself. In Skyrim, if was do one quest, advance in importance, get some padding with no real importance most of the time, then do another, advance in importance, do some padding, do another quest, oh look done. Oblivion guilds actually felt like you were climbing up the ladder, rather than being hot shoted to the top because there were so few quests that actually mattered.

Dark Brotherhood is a perfect example; the very first thing they make you do as a proper member is three padding contracts while "waiting" for a real one to give you. And after your first real contract kill, boom, you learn you're the Listener.

Guest Lady Luck

and  here i am seeing this arguement when you see skyrim sell nearly millions of dollars <-- these numbers won't lie yes they have glitches  ,few dumbing down and  bugs.

" when this game finally came out my social life is over"

i wonder who started that , clearly i don't know what's up with people hyping the game so much and they hate the game " really , on pc version bethesda release  tool  for fixing bugs however it's not really recommendable because that will make the dev lazy to do their work"

again i want to say if the game has lack on gameplay  sense like what olbivion had " they nailed enchanting perfectly"

like above poster said  skyrim doesn't feel repetitive everytime new monster came out " oh what's this " and then another monster came out shit let alone a dragon  the game will throw bears along with it , i don't see that on oblivion.

stuff

If you thought that was bad, try being a Fallout fan.

First interplays idiotic boss canceles FO3 several times, for spinoffs.

Then he bankrupts the company, because noone wanted spinoffs.

Then the worst kiddy level RPG maker on the market gets sold the rights, and cock it up even WORSE.

The Mad God, on 11 Feb 2013 - 14:26, said:

Fat Kyubey, on 10 Feb 2013 - 16:12, said:

Jerbsinator, on 10 Feb 2013 - 14:09, said:

Oblivion has just as many if not more problems than Skyrim does. Hell so does Fallout 3, pretty much anything Bethesda puts out has bad decisions written all over it. They are still good games, but I find Bethesda games to be like a lake, on the surface it seems like everything is great and there's so much to do but then you go deeper and you start to find the things that are not so great. I don't understand how people can possibly think Oblivion is better than Skyrim though....Vanilla Oblivion is an absolute JOKE compared to Skyrim and was practially a broken game right from shipping date. That level up system has got to be the worst RPG mechanic I have EVER seen in any RPG ever. I think Bethesda learned from that as I was very satisfied with Skyrims leveling system but still I paid full price for Oblivion and I got a completely broken game essentially. At least when I booted up Skyrim for the first time I actually had fun and was able to level up what I wanted instead of having to spend hours leveling up one hand skill on a fucking mage just so I can carry more shit....

Explain what makes SKyrim better, and what makes Oblivion's leveling system a joke. Especially since the leveling system in Oblivion was much like the one in Morrowind; you know, like an RPG where you train stats relevant to your class to level up.

The leveling system is horrible for many reasons. For one the game discourages the player from leveling up. The leveling system makes it so that the game gets harder and harder as you level up, and not in a good way. For example, the most powerful destruction spells in the game take longer to kill a goblin at the higher player levels than the basic flare spell takes to kill a goblin at the very start. Plus these spells cost more to a master in destruction than a flare spell does to a new character. I've seen videos of high level master marksmen shooting dozens upon dozens of arrows at a goblin and barely doing any damage at all. It makes the game tedious and boring. It's better to avoid leveling up at all. There are probably ways to micromanage leveling and stats and whatnot but those require looking at outside sources and studying them for how to level up properly. Another huge issue with it is the equipment that enemies have at higher levels. At higher levels the common bandit can be seen with glass, ebony, and even daedric armor. It's ludicrous how the rarest and most powerful sets of armor and weapons can be seen on the common bandit. Don't get me wrong here, Morrowind had it's annoyances with its leveling system, but not to the degree of Oblivion.

However I can agree with you when it comes to NPC interaction. NPCs had a lot more to say than the NPCs in Skyrim. Guilds were much more fleshed out, some quests also had different pathways. The DB quests are great examples. You can complete the quest or you could complete it in a different way and receive a bonus. Skyrim has only linear hand-holdy quests that don't really offer anything to the player except for some loot at the end.

^ Sorry for the quotetree clsuterfuck but the newest version software the board is using kinda sucks.

Anyway to enter y'alls discussion:

- Leveling up and classes: Fallout/Fallout2 I think did it right, you pick what your three main skills are, and get XP towards the next level for doing stuff in a more player friendly manner (and one that isn't as easy to grind as in the TES games).

- Level scaling: A basic raider with a 10mm pistol will STAY a basic raider with a 10mm pistol, at any level. The same with all NPCs, they don't magically get better gear when you level up (albiet, there is SOME level scaling, the higher level random encounters are more likely to occur at higher levels, but that's a function of the travel system of the games, and is also random, you still encounter the weak enemies most of the time).

What it comes down to is bethesda is a bunch of lazy fucks.

The time they take to do the level scaling shit, they could place twice as many persistant NPCs (or respawning patrols), and by hand equip them with sensable gear.

But that's the problem, really, they're not out there to make RPGs.

Or as P.T. Barnum said "there's a sucker born every minute'.

Guilds were "much" more fleshed out?  Ehh...  maybe not much.  Definitely more, but... Oblivion's weren't exactly masterpieces, either.  With the sole exception of the DB, Oblivion's guilds were just better padded.  They were still pretty lame, just not as overtly bad as Skyrim's.

Yikes. My bad, I didn't mean to put the "much" part in there. That was an accident. Oblivion's guilds had more interesting questlines than Skyrim, and more quests in general was what I was trying to say.

Guilds were "much" more fleshed out?  Ehh...  maybe not much.  Definitely more, but... Oblivion's weren't exactly masterpieces, either.  With the sole exception of the DB, Oblivion's guilds were just better padded.  They were still pretty lame, just not as overtly bad as Skyrim's.

Yikes. My bad, I didn't mean to put the "much" part in there. That was an accident. Oblivion's guilds had more interesting questlines than Skyrim, and more quests in general was what I was trying to say.

Bethesda fleshes out guilds ?

Since when ?

I mean they didn't even try that hard in Morrowind, but at least there they did some things right (if I recall correctly, havent played in way too long) like making it where if you went mage/figther guild at the same time, at a certain rank in either, you'd have to pick to be a member of a single one.

Of course that went out the window in Oblivion, since console kiddies want to be the head assisian/mage/fighter all at the same time.

I'm gonna sound like a fanboy at this point, but I don't see an inherent problem with enemies being harder, mainly because sneak attacks do multiple times damage and due to the fact that you can get some pretty absurd chameleon levels to make you almost undetectable. Since I almost always play as a stealth character, I guess I never noticed how tedious it can get if you're actually fighting them head on.

As for rare gear, on the one hand I agree that random bandits running around in full Daedric armor is incredibly stupid and makes no sense. On the other, at higher levels, I think it's equally absurd to cap enemies at something like iron or steel, as it reduces their ability to survive in fights (because as a sneaky chameleon ass, I sneak crit everybody). This is true in Skyrim, where at my current level of 55, I can run into any bandit or Foresworn camp and kill everybody in one or two hits because they're still mostly running around in hide armor.

I'm more of a fan of scaling enemies than what older games had, where enemies were set levels, making you, upon a certain level, basically some sort of god mode because you're much higher than most of them. But it's a fine balance that TES has yet to really find, and until then, you either get balls to the wall hard (if you're not a sneaky fuck) or painfully pitiful at level 60.

You're actually wrong. Enemies levels don't scale past 20~30 in most places with vanilla skyrim. Unless you use the high level enemies mod ofcourse which I use. Your killing them in 1~2 hits is because your fighting weaker enemies. When they're at your level or higher you'll have trouble killing them in farm clothes and fur armor which is how my game is. I can hit an orc in orcish plate and light everything else from stealth with my dagger wielding spell sword and get a X15 crit and only do half his health then I actually have to fight. I have 970 hours clocked into Skyrim compared to my 160 hours in Oblivion for good reason.

Well I can see where this thread has gone to.

PC_Gaming_Master_Race_by_Claidheam_Righ.

You know, consoles have had some pretty damn complex games over the years, including Morrowind itself.

The dumbing down of TES has little to do with consoles and everything to do with mass appeal, making it as generic and hand holdy as possible in order to sell the most copies.

Yes, the games are developed for consoles now and are optimised for joypads, but that's because more people have consoles than gaming PCs. It's all about selling copies, buying that GOTY award and selling even more DLC.

Guest Lady Luck

ahjahahahah console yokels  xDDDD

ahahahaha joypad optimizing lmaoooo  "it's like you hold a vibrator except it didn't make you cum " good luck fixing bugs on console version lmao

ahjahahahah console yokels  xDDDD

ahahahaha joypad optimizing lmaoooo  "it's like you hold a vibrator except it didn't make you cum " good luck fixing bugs on console version lmao

I see what you did there...

You made a undeniable and factual point. The unofficial Skyrim patches aren't on console making any statement made by console gamer seem foreign; since PC gamer all ready removed the bugs and are complaining about what they found or "didn't" find in their bug free game.

SO since pc gamers paid the same about of money as console gamers but ended up with more. (bug removal, mods, ect) we are superior and get to complain about Skyrim not being an RPG or whatever because we can mod it and fix the problem/s.

Did the game got dumbed down for consoles? Yes. but are we able to attempt to fix it on pc? Yes

tl;dr- Shut up about consoles! If you can't mod your game to fix the problems, you shouldn't complain about it and just move on to another game or keep playing and be content with what you got.

Just my feelings on the subject YMMV

I would not give full confidence to mods due to its fragile nature; the ghost script problem which has haunted most of us for a very long time to be specific. Granted it can be avoided with a little responsibility, but at most times, gamers are too occupied by the game and their new mod that they get their asses bitten before they can notice and prevent the problem. I have personal experience with this problem, and yes I deserve the consequences I get, but I wish O'l Beth didn't just hype modding, but also made it a more hospitable grounds for interacting with their products, seeing as how they probably know that the modding community plays a significant role within their interests.

Like you said the ghost script problem is a user created problem. You can do most everything in the game and be constantly changing mods as you go along. I've done it and didn't ever make a clean save. I'm lazy but I also know what I'm doing so it doesn't hurt me as much as it does most gamers.

I did about 4~5 skyre runs a few months back before I dropped it in favor to modding to my tastes. Was running with about 150 mods half of them clothing mods. Went from 1 to 70ish with no problem didn't use a merged patch or tes5edit so all the junk I was cramming into my game was dirty but i knew a bit from oblivion how to maintain my game. Was playing about 3 hours at a time between crashes usually caused by lighting spell render problems >_> a problem I still have to a lesser extent...

While making clean saves I can play without crashes for the most part. I got 253 mods in right now pretty much all scripts about 10 clothing mods. Just got hearthfire and dragonborn today installed them on a save I was running with. Everything works but the dragon soul absorbing which is caused by the unofficial Skyrim patch XD gotta wait for a fix cause I can't become the dragonborn without sucking some soul.

But like I said before this game is stable as hell so if you break it its pretty much 100% your fault... Bethesda can hype the modding cause the game is made for it; they're just really bad at doing it themselves. All the dlc combined give you about 2~300 dirty edits if you count the update. They constantly delete records instead of disabling them making it harder for modders to use their resources.

Like you said the ghost script problem is a user created problem. You can do most everything in the game and be constantly changing mods as you go along. I've done it and didn't ever make a clean save. I'm lazy but I also know what I'm doing so it doesn't hurt me as much as it does most gamers.

I did about 4~5 skyre runs a few months back before I dropped it in favor to modding to my tastes. Was running with about 150 mods half of them clothing mods. Went from 1 to 70ish with no problem didn't use a merged patch or tes5edit so all the junk I was cramming into my game was dirty but i knew a bit from oblivion how to maintain my game. Was playing about 3 hours at a time between crashes usually caused by lighting spell render problems >_> a problem I still have to a lesser extent...

While making clean saves I can play without crashes for the most part. I got 253 mods in right now pretty much all scripts about 10 clothing mods. Just got hearthfire and dragonborn today installed them on a save I was running with. Everything works but the dragon soul absorbing which is caused by the unofficial Skyrim patch XD gotta wait for a fix cause I can't become the dragonborn without sucking some soul.

But like I said before this game is stable as hell so if you break it its pretty much 100% your fault... Bethesda can hype the modding cause the game is made for it; they're just really bad at doing it themselves. All the dlc combined give you about 2~300 dirty edits if you count the update. They constantly delete records instead of disabling them making it harder for modders to use their resources.

Can't quite agree with you here. Yes if you have ghostscripts screwing up your save it's your own fault but whose fault is it that those even exist? Or whose fault is it that we have to use a workaround system to even get new animations into the game? You can't hype modding to the moon without informing about possible problems and consequences, especially not if you try to lure in people that never before in their gaming history modded anything and that probably are atleast 70% of Skyrim's PC players.

And about the PC players not having the right to complain about the game because we can fix things ourselves. Why should it be our job to fix their shit? Do we get paid for it?...

Ok let's just assume we do not have the right to complain about bugs in Skyrim but we still have the right (same as console players that want a satisfying experience) to complain about things the game just lacks that even it's predecessors had. Why fix it if it ain't broken?

Skyrim indeed improved alot of things but I'd still rather have a slightly more shitty combat system (Skyrim's is still shitty if you consider that they tried to bring more action into the game, just not as shitty as Oblivion's...Morrowind's combat system was pure garbage imo) than zombie-like NPCs that can't say more than 5 different sentences.

One thing I can definitely agree on though is that Skyrim runs alot more stable (if you don't have ghostscripts screwing you up) than Oblivion even with 3 times more mods installed.

Honestly I always tell people the steps to modding their games without error, but most people don't want to take the time to learn. You don't know how many times I told people to use tes5edit just to be told that they use NMM (my forehead still hurts). So if people mess up their games its their fault the information on how to properly do it is out there you just have to want to find it.

And on the topic of Bethesda needing to do anything... they don't. I remember when companies would release a game and not patch it and you just got what you paid for. Bethesda is doing a stellar job compared to most companies with games not even half as complex. Ghost scripts aren't Bethesdas problem; it's the modders job to figure out how to fix it because it only effects them. Bethesda aren't modders, they don't have to worry about Ghost scripts. Its like complaining that your game crashes because you used the console to render 2 million wheels of cheese. How is that Bethesdas problem? They're busy fixing the mess that they made of the PS3 version...

As much as I love it; screw Morrowind if I wanted to play it I'd double-click it on my desktop its fully modded and beautiful but I'd rather play Skyrim. It's not an classic "RPG" so you don't have to think while playing it you just click to win. Once Skywind is 75% complete then I'll play Morrowind again. But until then If I want NPCs to say more than 5 lines of text I'll play FONV. Obsidian might be crap at making stable games but they're pros at writing for RPGs. Kotor 2 blew Kotor 1 out of the water and it was only half done.

That's why one of the first things I said was that they should let Obsidian do the writing for their next TES game...

Oh and I too remember the time when developers didn't fix anything...because they didn't need to, the released game just worked (besides the fact that you indeed actually got what you paid for whereas nowadays you get 50% of what you paid for and the rest is DLC but that's another topic). I can understand that a game as big and complex as Skyrim just has bugs but it's not the modders job to fix gamebreaking shit.

And about the "click to win", that's exactly the problem. If Skyrim would've really exchanged some of it's RPG elements for more action that would be completely fine but the combat still feels almost as clunky as it does in Oblivion while at the same time having less RPG elements. Making things simpler (or in this case "more action based") is one thing but just being lazy (or whatever other reason they had...probably involved saving money) with it is another.

Oh yes, I can't wait for the days when Obsidian crawls its way into TES, so we can have NPCs end dialogue with a "...", the game will have an ending told to me through dialogue and even more bugs than Bethesda could hope to cram into a game. Then when I complain, I'll get the defense squad giving the same tired rushed excuse that they use for EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

I really do think that would be my own special Hell.

What way I look at RPG series is like this. These are just examples:

Final Fantasy- every game has a different combat system, new rules and a new world.

Pokemon- every game has a different rules, the combat stays the same but you get a new world.

The Elder Scrolls- every game has a different combat system, new rules and a new world but with Skyrim it's not a RPG any more its an action adventure.

Breath of Fire- every game had a similar combat system up until the 5th where it be came a dungeon crawler. Literally became a different series.

Each series listed has at least 5 installments but none of them are the same as when they were created. Pokemon is the only one that was able to stay relatively static in its execution but constantly changes 2 things the world and the 100+ Pokemon line up.

Now lets look at what TES has retained. Their character races and their lore. Besides adamantium armor and spears they placed most of the armor and weapon types back in to the game with in Skyrim along with the fact that Dragonborn may not be the last DLC (if they want more money they will make another).

But what they lost while making a truly massive world with lots of improvements and retaining most of their past developments (most of the magic is in the game in 1 way or another) is the RPG element and I can bet you that most people didn't even realize that it was gone until after about 100 hours of play.

The first complaints I hear about the game where quests breaking and that the combat was hack and slash (2 problems that where in oblivion) it took a while for people to realize that they weren't playing an classic RPG cause they could 'level up'. For most people it wasn't until they went back and played games like Morrowind or FONV that the noticed that the characters in Skyrim where just there to make the game not feel empty.

But the biggest problem with Skyrim is that it's fun without being a RPG cause you can 'Level up' you go to bandit camp 1 and kill the bandits then do it at bandit camp 2. You don't need a reason placed on you by quest responsibility, you just do it cause its fun and in your head you slowly create you characters story and background based on your acts instead of having to be placed in a location and told.

While it would have been great to have DMC level combat, we don't but it doesn't stop people from finding a combat style that they like and going through the game. So maybe it isn't needed.

There are a lot of different kinds of RPGs out there maybe Skyrim is just a different kind; maybe it isn't one at all but it doesn't prevent it from being fun therefore it isn't needed.

While I would love TES6 to be a full blow Obsidian written RPG; it goes without saying that that's a pipe dream. Being realistic all I can hope for is that we'll get better combat.

Goddamn do I miss the puzzles though...

Skyrim in it's vanilla state I think is an over rated game.... in fact if vanilla was all that was available I wouldn't even play it. The only version for me is the PC version with lot's and lot's of mods installed. Thanks to the modders Skyrim is one of the best games ever made, but the modders did that not bethesda. Long live the modders.

DMC-style combat would be awful in a first-person game.  Besides, it's way too damn flashy.

While I agree with the idea that combat needs some work, the core of what we get with Skyrim is solid.  It just needs some refinement, and more importantly, an injection of features.  For instance, spellcasting could be made more dynamic by being able to mix different spells when dual casting (armor spell + healing spell = regenerative armor spell?).  More perks and a few different attack moves with different kinds of weapons would help diversify combat.  A sort of limb-cripple system ala Fallout would be magnificent, too.  For instance, say you use a mace and land a critical power attack on some guy's shield arm.  His shield arm takes damage along with his core HP, and if you hit him enough, SNAP! his arm droops, useless, and he can no longer block.  Or, say, you cripple a two-handed 'zerker's arm, and suddenly he has to wield his blade one-handed, lowering his attack speed and damage.  Further still, critical but non-fatal head damage could silence a spellcaster.  Naturally the player would also be susceptible to this.  And none of this has to resort to DMC flashiness.

Spell combos: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/23882

Pretty sure that's just what your looking for Fantastic mod too. I love finding new spell combo effects.

Locational Damage: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12615

Pretty much exactly what you want to a lesser degree. It effects you as well. I can't even use this cause I use Duel and 1 arrow to the knee leaves me on the ground with like no health. Not as heavy as fallout of course but it can be expanded on. (careful it's script heavy)

DMC flashiness: http://shelf3d.com/Search/Uploaded%20by%20elysees2

I don't care what any says SSS on oblivion was the only reason I could play that game (Henaimania gets a shout out as well). and I can't wait for it to be done for Skyrim.

Guest Plastrader

Locational Damage: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12615

Pretty much exactly what you want to a lesser degree. It effects you as well. I can't even use this cause I use Duel and 1 arrow to the knee leaves me on the ground with like no health. Not as heavy as fallout of course but it can be expanded on. (careful it's script heavy)

That sounds very interesting.

Not to derail this topic, but reading and testing out different mods made for Skyrim the game gets more and more similar to another game I used to play which didn't work as most people wanted it to.

So they(modders) started to change every aspect of the game to a point where the original game was just a place holder.

Hmm, that was kind of a rant so maybe it was on topic after all...

Well if you think about it, if you promise everything, you'll never get a game out at all. There is always something that has to be cut regardless because of complexity against ease or just time constraints. That's probably why Skyrim when it was shown at E3 didn't show a big in-depth showing. Just enough to tease us wanting to play.

Overall, I think Skyrim is quite good in certain areas such as the Radiant Quests, the dragon shouts and as well as the alchemy. Alchemy especially as food and actual alchemy was separated. However, they compromised too much for the consolers in terms of combat, magic and as well the world itself. Skyrim is probably the size of Austria and yet, it feels like no bigger than the city of Hamburg itself.

I do look forward to Fallout 4 and the next gen consoles since they're predominantly based on the PC specs so hopefully we'll see greater features put back in instead of dumbing down for the masses.

Basing consoles on pc spec is what they did this gen (except the Wii, they based that on masturbation) but PC got stronger and consoles fell behind. It'll just happen every gen.

My PS3 does everything though; if you just count Netflix, my 360 charges my phone and my Wii paid for my 3DS, which just collects dust. :P

Skyrim personaly to me has no replayability in terms of beginning a new chacater after I have reached my 100 hours of gameplay bench-mark. I can't begin a new character in Skyrim because the game is more tailored to a completionist's haven rather than a role-player's one. Beginning a new character will have little purpose at all in term's of your role and impact in Skyrim, putting on the old hat with the few changed yet same purposed dialouges and path options A or B. I began a new character as a khajiit, seeking a change from my 365 hour breton save. Everything was playing out the same after and during my escape from Helgen and was hoping that things get more interesting once I reached whiterun, but instead of distrust and a stirring scenario arising, Nothing. One thing that peeved me off the most regarding immersion and plot is the political war and guilds. Why was I not given a more significant role to the ultimate fate of Skyrim? Instead, I'm given the choice to help the one or the other or All without repercussions where they are most appropriate, instead of allowing me to pursue acts that would best suit what the Dragonborn as a person could have held more strongly and be dynamicly affected by these.

Short story, the dragonborn is led more than it is allowed to shape itself.

hence even if my other save becomes ultimately dodgey from bloats and etc, I would not for the life of me begin a new character.

Archived