PC upgrade advice.

These are my desktop's current specs:

CPU: i5-3570 3.4GHz
    mobo: MSI Z77A-G45
    RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX6600 6GB
    SSD: Samsung EVO 512GB

I don't run a lot of modern games, so on the whole I'm okay with the machine's performance. I'd like to improve on Skyrim's load times though.

1) Will an NVMe SSD actually boot the game 154% faster? link

2) Would the following upgrade noticeably improve load times?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (3.6 GHz / 4.4 GHz)
    mobo: ASUS PRIME X570-PRO
    RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z (2x 8 Go) DDR4 3600 MHz CL16

Comparing CPU's, I was surprised that after 7 years, a "value" offer such as the above yields only a 37% performance gain. link

The AMD has a lot more cores, but will even Skyrim Special Edition make proper use of those?

I guess my questions are about theory vs. practice... I appreciate any insight or experience you can offer.

Cheers,

- Sin

Besides that, what you intend to buy will improve your skyrim experience, specially in the cpu side considering the game is a bit cpu hungry.

But i would advice the 3600X instead of the 3700X since its almost 100$ cheaper (altough its hexa core instead of octa core, but has a slightly higher frequency), but still its a better deal considering you use it mostly for gaming.

Also i would buy 3200 MHz RAM  instead of 3600, since its cheaper and the performance difference its almost Zero.

just my 2 cents :) 

10 minutes ago, Zebot said:

But i would advice the 3600X instead of the 3700X since its almost 100$ cheaper (altough its hexa core instead of octa core, but has a slightly higher frequency), but still its a better deal considering you use it mostly for gaming.

Since op doesn't play many newer games, it would be a better value to go with a 2600(non x, they are practically the same) instead and the 3200mhz ram.
However, I'd put the gpu upgrade above those, that cpu still holds up well enough, and for the cost (cpu + mobo + ram) you aren't getting as much of a performance improvement

I play older games indeed, but still I'd like to "future proof" my system. Some great new title might pop up and then I want to be ready for it.

What's a good buy for a GPU if I upgrade to a larger monitor and 1440p?

Thanks for all the tips so far!

- 3600X

- 3200 MHz RAM

5 minutes ago, unmatched baguette said:

Since op doesn't play many newer games, it would be a better value to go with a 2600(non x, they are practically the same) instead and the 3200mhz ram.
However, I'd put the gpu upgrade above those, that cpu still holds up well enough, and for the cost (cpu + mobo + ram) you aren't getting as much of a performance improvement

Its true in what you say... but considering he doesnt have a specific budget (he just wants the best bang for the buck) and also he might want to play more recent games with a new machine i think those option are a fairly good deal :)

Hum... at 1440p and i will consider that you also play Skyrim (or want to play) with alot of mods and look it prettier with enb and so on i would advice the Ati 5700XT since it has quite a good performance per dollar (or Euros in my case XD ). and even if you think its a bit overkill its ok since its one of those hardware parts that you want to invest for future proof.

3 minutes ago, Zebot said:

Its true in what you say... but considering he doesnt have a specific budget (he just wants the best bang for the buck) and also he might want to play more recent games with a new machine i think those option are a fairly good deal :)

Of course, never said he shouldn't consider the cpu upgrade, but I prefer not leading people into buying what they don't need, which is part of "bang for the buck"

11 minutes ago, unmatched baguette said:

Of course, never said he shouldn't consider the cpu upgrade, but I prefer not leading people into buying what they don't need, which is part of "bang for the buck"

And again also true... its just i dont like to write long "biblical" sentences at forums and i like to go step by step (ofc i would go for the gpu part).

(In these cases i prefer to help at discord) 

Just tried to give a direct input to the specific parts posted 1st XD

Well, you sold me on an RX 5700 XT. Very cheap and 60% faster than what I have.

What size monitor do you guys use? I have an (ASUS VG248QE) 24", but wouldn't mind something larger, and if that RX 5700 XT pushes my FPS above 60 Hz then I'll need some sort of vertical sync boost. (I might still keep the 24" around because having two screens can be handy.)

I play Skyrim with an ENB indeed, couldn't do without.

I personally use a Benq IPS 27ich with 4ms and it has a good panel

but again.. it also depends in what kind of games you like to play ( rpg or fps or just normal action games)

and if you have any pannel preference ( some prefer IPS , other VA and so on)

And as for the rest of the parts ( since you are going for a full new rig) also has alot of factors to consider depending of your preferences.

Also dont be a cheap "bastard" when buying a power supply... alot of ppl make the mistake of buying a cheap power supply and then having problems, wich i also consider it a very important part when building a computer.

I usually buy my hardware either in The Netherlands, Germany or France, once even from Austria (geizhals).

Is there some site you'd recommend where I can build a system and put it up for critique? That will make this discussion a bit more constructive.

I am on the LL discord now as well, as "Canadian Panda".

• 1 year later...