Elder Scrolls : Online MMO " any thoughts"

Guest Lady Luck

Guest Lady Luck

The Elder Scrolls Online will cost players cash to play each month, but can Bethesda expect people to pay?

The Elder Scrolls series is very much about exploring a world’s past. Tamriel and its nations like Skyrim and Morrowind are steeped in history, and the hundreds of hours players spend in games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim are devoted to uncovering those old ways. The newly announced MMO The Elder Scrolls Online will be adhering to the olden ways as well, and not just because the game is taking place many years before Skyrim. According to one analyst, players will likely have to pay a monthly subscription fee to play The elder Scrolls Online when it comes out.

This part of lore supposedly to tell the first talos of atmora where dragons never existed back in skyrim it's prequel to main game.

Speaking with Edge on Tuesday, Nicholas Lovell of video game business consultancy Gamesbrief said that though The Elder Scrolls Online will eventually be a free-to-play MMO, it will start as a game with a monthly subscription fee. “It is conceivable that Bethesda will launch with subscription service to attract the early adopters, because that’s the model they understand,” said Lovell, “I still believe that subscription games are on the way out. They will switch to free-to-play later, in the same way that many iOS games go from paid to freemium over their lifetime. EA is struggling with The Old Republic, [but] almost everyone else is transitioning to free-to-play.”

The-Elder-Scrolls-Online-2.png

As Lovell says, Electronic Arts is learning well the lesson that MMOs can’t survive on monthly subscriptions like they used to. Star Wars: The Old Republic was built on the fifteen-year-old business model used by Everquest, Ultimate Online, and most successfully by World of Warcraft where players drop cash on the game itself and then pay a monthly fee of $15 or more to keep playing. While the game started off strong, racking up 1.7 million players over its first two months, after five months the player base has declined to 1.3 million players.

Today, The Elder Scrolls Online could support a subscription model based on the series’ popularity alone. Skyrim found an enormous following when it released in November, shipping 10 million copies in its first month. (To clarify, that’s the number of copies Bethesda sold to retailers, not directly to players. Still, since that number doesn’t include copies downloaded through services like Steam on PCs, we can assume that the game’s actual sales are close to that figure.)

If The Old Republic’s current woes prove anything though, it’s that MMO players are fickle, and getting them to pay $15 per month over a long period of time is no easy task. By the time The Elder Scrolls Online is widely available, it’s questionable whether there will be any MMOs left charging a monthly fee.

It's going to be shit.

If memory serves this game is set before any of the games in the Elder Scroll series.

Elder Scroll has and always will be a single player RPG. Not only that but they will be obliviously be taking away the main thing that makes the games what they are, MODS.

As for the pay to play and then switching later down the line to free to play that is not going to help them one bit.

As for the Star Wars: The Old Republic bit there are more subscribers now that it is free to play then there was during it's time as pay to play. The game is clearly not struggling as all the servers are pretty much full all the time. They are opening more servers to compensate for the massive load of players.

It's not going to survive and will most likely die really quickly.

Sadly i dont think it will last very long on p2p, not even as long as tor p2p model.

The p2p model is monopolized by WoW, no game will ever be able to compete with its pay model.

it has to compete with guildwars 2, The old republic and starting in February Tera enmasse is going f2p (founder title ftw)

between those 3 and wow the room for ESO is gonna be very little

ToR is currently alot better off now then it was 6months ago with people no longer paying left and right, hell i think i even have it installed atm simply because its f2p and it can be fun in short bursts,

Well seeing the vids i cant say im particulary overwhelmed by awesomeness, looks like another generic mmo.

Whats proly gonna happen is, lots of people are going to join to explore the lands, once thats cleared the subs bleeding will proly start, i could be wrong though...lets see what happens.

One positive thing about this is...atleast it isnt being done by the same studio that makes the single player games...that would be proly an epic disaster.

One thins thats funny about this is, im already seeing these typical posts about how is going to smack all mmos to hell regarding TESO...ha..where did i heard that again.

Guest Lady Luck

Well seeing the vids i cant say im particulary overwhelmed by awesomeness' date=' looks like another generic mmo.

Whats proly gonna happen is, lots of people are going to join to explore the lands, once thats cleared the subs bleeding will proly start, i could be wrong though...lets see what happens.

One positive thing about this is...atleast it isnt being done by the same studio that makes the single player games...that would be proly an epic disaster.

One thins thats funny about this is, im already seeing these typical posts about how is going to smack all mmos to hell regarding TESO...ha..where did i heard that again.

[/quote']

not the same studio zenimax owned online team , bethesda doesn't invovled any of these game.....

If people think that a TES MMO will survive simply because Skryim "sold" over 10 million units, then I have bad news. The Old Republic couldn't survive, and it's a fucking Star Wars MMO; you know, the series with more rabid, and frankly insane, fan legions than possibly anything short of the concept of free money and sex all day long.

The MMO wave is fucking over, or rather, it never happened; WoW was a goddamned fluke and a half, and since then everybody has been chasing after a lie hoping to make some of that sweet, sweet "I can't believe these suckers are still paying this much!" monthly fees.

Guest Lady Luck

If people think that a TES MMO will survive simply because Skryim "sold" over 10 million units' date=' then I have bad news. The Old Republic couldn't survive, and it's a fucking Star Wars MMO; you know, the series with more rabid, and frankly insane, fan legions than possibly anything short of the concept of free money and sex all day long.

The MMO wave is fucking over, or rather, it never happened; WoW was a goddamned fluke and a half, and since then everybody has been chasing after a lie hoping to make some of that sweet, sweet "I can't believe these suckers are still paying this much!" monthly fees.

[/quote']

calm down dude lol geezh , yeah for just for once i agree with you on this one.

Guest Lady Luck

My best friend give insight on Elder of scroll Leaked

This is alpha version

[video=youtube]

Skyrim cunclosion " newest report"

- Play as Faction " aldemeri dominion"

" War between skyrim right after the treaty when wood elf , High elf and dark elf is force to join AD Faction"

- Play As Faction " Dragon knights"

" the citizen of skyrim lead by Talos of Atmora "Nords" are infamous for slaying dragons"

- Play As Faction " The empire"

" The citizen that hold banner of " Breton , Imperial , Redguard"

Don't know where argonian and khajit stands on this online mmo , like i said this game is still alpha the news was early and get leaked.

there is another rumor that said this mmo will allow you to travel between morrowind , cyroodiil , hammerfell , eleyswr [ Home to aldemeri faction ] and skyrim back and forth the travel system will have either by boat or that giant netch.

If people think that a TES MMO will survive simply because Skryim "sold" over 10 million units' date=' then I have bad news. The Old Republic couldn't survive, and it's a fucking Star Wars MMO; you know, the series with more rabid, and frankly insane, fan legions than possibly anything short of the concept of free money and sex all day long.

[/quote']

I agree, the mmo market could still bloom though, but they seriously need to stop copying the same model over and over...and im not talking about wow only.

Pretty much all games, mmos or not, are stagnating, the only thing that has made a big jump forward are the graphics, everything else is basicaly the same...people are simply getting tired of the same formula.

My bet would be on sandbox mmos, where content is being made by the players, with ocassional threadmill updates, wich basicaly makes them last forever as long as the player base is strong and has plenty of possibilities.

Just look at the TES modding scene, people love to change and add stuff to their game.

Guest Lady Luck

The only thing the MMO seems to really have going for it is travel between the numerous nations of Tamriel; I mean' date=' the last time that actually happened was, what, Arena? That alone would get me to play the game.

After it went free to play, that is.

[/quote']

you know bacon there is arena gameplay at least what i heard the new installment except its way better then oblivion but u know its kinda pointless to make this mmo pay to play because it has only one server .

" War between skyrim right after the treaty when wood elf ' date=' High elf and dark elf is force to join AD Faction"

" the citizen of skyrim lead by Talos of Atmora "Nords" are infamous for slaying dragons"

" The citizen that hold banner of " Breton , Imperial , Redguard"[/quote']

No, no, and no.

The Aldmeri Dominion is made up of Bosmer, Altmer, and Khajiit.

The Ebonheart Pact is made up of Dunmer, Nords, and Argonians.

The Daggerfall Covenant is made up of Bretons, Redguards, and Orcs.

Imperials are not playable.

For reference,

See, this is why I find it hard to take any of your reviews seriously. You can't even be bothered to check your facts and didn't even take two minutes to get the names of the factions right.

As for my thoughts, it looks like a solid MMO with a well-crafted story and enough TES-ish features to bear a slightly more than passing resemblance to the main line games. I'll probably drop box price for the free month it usually comes with and give it a look, but I'm fairly certain I'll be waiting until it's F2P to play. P2P is a dead system and it's obnoxious to me that people keep trying to use it.

Guest Lady Luck

" War between skyrim right after the treaty when wood elf ' date=' High elf and dark elf is force to join AD Faction"

" The citizen that hold banner of " Breton , Imperial , Redguard"[/quote']

No, no, and no.

The Aldmeri Dominion is made up of Bosmer, Altmer, and Khajiit.

The Ebonheart Pact is made up of Dunmer, Nords, and Argonians.

Imperials are not playable.

For reference,

See, this is why I find it hard to take any of your reviews seriously. You can't even be bothered to check your facts and didn't even take two minutes to get the names of the factions right.

As for my thoughts, it looks like a solid MMO with a well-crafted story and enough TES-ish features to bear a slightly more than passing resemblance to the main line games. I'll probably drop box price for the free month it usually comes with and give it a look, but I'm fairly certain I'll be waiting until it's F2P to play. P2P is a dead system and it's obnoxious to me that people keep trying to use it.

well i have to admit sometimes my elder scrolls knowledge isn't that comprehensive like others but at least i can agree with you , when even you correct me you got valid point there , but seriously that factions are on the alpha but who knows maybe it get changed , because even a reviewer can't really predict what's going to happend next it could be bad and good i just hope this prequel have good game play if not it would be waste of time to care.

i do not ask anybody to take my reviews seriously, i usually used this forum for spontaneous thoughts on this , taking reviews seriously sometimes will lead to lies that is why i just point what others would say before me, and didn't claim i know everything before you guys did because i still am researching stuff.

The Aldmeri Dominion is made up of Bosmer [ Wood elves ], Altmer [High - Elves] , and Khajiit.

The Ebonheart Pact is made up of Dunmer [ Dark Elves] , Nords, and Argonians.

again i want to point on this thread it's not reviews , it's more disccussion so realize this i don't put this on gaming section if i put this on gaming section that would be a review , which i don't post anything seriously or take anything seriously unless someone make a dumb argument, Realize this that video i post was early before zenimax ever published the introduction video so the thought is different i didn't check the wiki page before making any cunclosion that is why i make this thread discussion.

Here's another timeline "elder scrolls universe"

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline

Well atm none on the P2p games that appeared recently stayed p2p, tera in going f2p as well. As for Swtor i really hate what they did to it when it got to f2p, well actually f2p is not a good term as actually you need a subscription to actually do something in that game. If you take a look at the plan they offer from free to the "club" one they have the same shitty plan as Age of conan , lotro or European Aion owned by gameforge.

Now going back on topic Eso will 100% start p2p and then end up f2p like most of them :|. Maybe if they take the ideas from Ncsoft they actually did a nice f2p transition. It's not a p2w or not at this point.

Also i like the elder scrolls for the simple fact that i can actually make the game unique by adding mods to make it as i like and enjoy playing.

Guest Lady Luck

Well atm none on the P2p games that appeared recently stayed p2p' date=' tera in going f2p as well. As for Swtor i really hate what they did to it when it got to f2p, well actually f2p is not a good term as actually you need a subscription to actually do something in that game. If you take a look at the plan they offer from free to the "club" one they have the same shitty plan as Age of conan , lotro or European Aion owned by gameforge.

Now going back on topic Eso will 100% start p2p and then end up f2p like most of them :|. Maybe if they take the ideas from Ncsoft they actually did a nice f2p transition. It's not a p2w or not at this point.

Also i like the elder scrolls for the simple fact that i can actually make the game unique by adding mods to make it as i like and enjoy playing.

[/quote']

i hate to burst you bubble here khir elder scrolls online doesn't support modding it would be a different format since we got porvince mixed between hammerfell , cyroodiil and morrowind we gonna expect like the game would be morrowind 50% , Oblivion 50% , skyrim 20% because they took off crafting features the game doesn't support its own creation kit which a bummer , this wasn't made by Bethesda , zenimax pushed this product so its gonna be different , i just hope this game has mod feature >: ( i'm utterly disspointed by the news i heard. i just realize i'm nerding the fuck out of my self when i forgot the lore on the online counterpart based on 200 years before skyrim fully established btw jexsam apologize for dumb reference when i research things about timeline ,it's way different from the factions that already in because i realize "ulfric" is the key.

Well i know its not gonna have mods as it's an online game so.. basically they will be played as they where "packed"

regarding mods i was more talking about oblivion and skyrim which i play and enjoy.

Well we will see what they have made for us once the game will be in beta if we get access or when it is

released.

I don't want to make huge plans or expectations as they where gone when the game i wanted was lunched same happened whit Swtor and same whit tera and gw2

Guest Lady Luck

Well i know its not gonna have mods as it's an online game so.. basically they will be played as they where "packed"

regarding mods i was more talking about oblivion and skyrim which i play and enjoy.

Well we will see what they have made for us once the game will be in beta if we get access or when it is

released.

I don't want to make huge plans or expectations as they where gone when the game i wanted was lunched same happened whit Swtor and same whit tera and gw2

ah i see your point there , but u know i hate whenever i said shit i always ended up jinxing it so i'm just going to shut my mouth lol

I guess it's because the Empire is acting as the sort of main antagonist. So while it seems odd that we can't play what has always been a staple race, it sort of makes sense; Dremora were the antagonist race under Mehrunes Dagon in Oblivion, and we couldn't play them either.

I know how you feel, though. The whole situation with playable races in general is my biggest irritation with this game so far. And while I don't necessarily miss Imperials too much since I never played them (wouldn't miss orcs either, really), the concept of locking race to faction is ridiculous to start with for an Elder Scrolls title. Why they couldn't let you pick a race, then a faction and just limit you to wearing certain colors is beyond me.

I like how OP posted it: "Skyrim and Morrowind are steeped in history, (and there's no cyrodiil, I deny its existence!) Cyrodiil is always there, everything on the Tamriel map, it's there. Jaarrrhaarrrharrr~!

About ESO, stupidest attempt to make money. Like always: landscape is okay, not perfect, just okay, everything else is garbage. And there's no modding community to power it up. *Grin*