C5Kev's How To UUNP & CBBE - UUNP > CBBE or CBBE > UUNP

C5Kev's How To UUNP & CBBE - UUNP > CBBE or CBBE > UUNP

View File

Hello Folks!    I wanted to re-post this info because while there are many seasoned pro's regarding Skyrim here on LL, there are still people just getting into Skyrim and modding. This guide is directed toward those new to using BodySlide - or more importantly - Outfit Studio. Outfit Studio is a great program, but it can be really confusing to use initially. Sure, there are some guides available online, but quite often, one winds up even more confused on what to do afterward. I know I was.

Hopefully my guide will assist people to better understand Outfit Studio - how and what to do in converting old outfits to UUNP HDT, outfits to CBBE HDT, UUNP outfits to CBBE or CBBE outfits to UUNP.  In all cases, the process is basically the same and once one gets some of the basics down, things become much easier to do going forward.

A shout-out and thank you to member  tznvlw , who created these PDFs for me. I appreciate your assistance.

Added 09-23-2020 - FYI - Have you ever tried to size HDT clothes in Outfit Studio, only to find that the clothes physics no longer work afterward?  I believe that's because Outfit Studio destroys ( or removes ) the required HDT clothes "skeleton" ( because the reference body already has a skeleton ) when loading the nifs. Have a look at the "tech support" post by "moving_Sloth" and a way to size, then replace the clothes skeleton "nodes" to get the physics working. I hope I remembered all this stuff correctly.

CBBE people - Please note that there is some info on weight-painting in the UUNP document, so you might want to download that as well so you have that reference.

A FEW OUTFIT STUDIO TIPS THAT MAY HELP  (may update this from time to time)

*  After using BodySlide, do you still notice clipping issues in-game?  A common mistake people make is that they import the "your armor" _0.nif  &  "your armor" _1.nif  files into Outfit Studio and make changes.  WRONG!   Always modify the BodySlide "Data\CalienteTools\BodySlide\ShapeData\ "yourarmor.nif" file (make a back-up copy if needed).  If you don't - and need to remake the armor - you'll wind up with the same clipping issues you had previously.

--------------------------------------

*  Have you run it outfit textures / parts that kinda "glow in the dark" (due to high specularity) and they shouldn't?  And no matter what you do with the texture or normal map, it still has a glow?  Try this...

- Load or import the outfit / part in Outfit Studio.

- Select the offending mesh in the right "mesh" pane, right-click and export it as a .obj file.

- Now delete the original part and import the new .obj part.

- Reassign it's textures.  Most times, this will resolve the problem. And don't forget to select "Slider > Conform All", apply bone weights after importing and make sure to assign a correct slot number to the new part.

*  Have an item that you like, but would like to change it a bit by deleting a piece or two off of it?  Or, have an outfit that is a single "blob" and would like to turn it into individual pieces?   Here's how...

- Load or import the outfit / part in Outfit Studio.

- Press "Q". You will see green dots all over the place. Those are vertices, the "points" where mesh "faces" (triangles) connect.

- Press key #1, that enables masking. Adjust your brush size and "go over" the mesh, "masking" off the part(s) you want to keep. The mask will turn green vertices red.

- Press "T" to turn off textures. It often helps to see "things" better.

- When you've completed masking your part(s), go to the top menu and select  "Shape > Delete Vertices".  You now have a modified or individual part - save it as a .nif.

* * *  or  * * *

- Mask everything you don't want, which is often easier. When completed, go to the top menu and select  "Tool > Invert Mask", then select  "Shape > Delete Vertices". You now have a modified or individual part - save it as a .nif.

868407610_HowToTip1a.jpg.583d2763ec7bb450ba9f69f1e7b69e6b.jpg

477937669_HowToTip1b.jpg.854117a25f204590f1e8b32b4b86018b.jpg

*  Have your ever wanted to move, rotate or scale an item or multiple items for a better "look" or placement?  Press "F" to bring up the "transform" gizmo.  The arrows and circles are self-explanatory for moving and rotating.  Press and hold the mouse button on the small squares to scale.

1941492086_HowToTip2b.jpg.1a0c1e13382dac82e9d9742067bfcf3e.jpg

Please, do not upload this or any of my other mods onto other sites or utilize my assets without permission.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    10/07/2019
  • Category
  • Requires
    Outfit Studio / BodySlide, HDT
  • Special Edition Compatible

36 minutes ago, Adviser69 said:

I really do appreciate this. I've been working with Outfit Studio for a while now, just learning as I go, but it's guides like these that really help keep me from getting rusty.

Hello A69.  You're more than welcome. I just hope they are easy to understand and concise enough for everyone.

I've been looking for something like this.  By chance I've been doing a lot right, but now I know how to add bodyslide files.  Some of the file moving stuff is a bit confusing for me.  But I'll be practicing until I get it down.  There's an armor I've wanted to convert for a loooong time. ^-^

3 hours ago, Aki K said:

I've been looking for something like this.  By chance I've been doing a lot right, but now I know how to add bodyslide files.  Some of the file moving stuff is a bit confusing for me.  But I'll be practicing until I get it down.  There's an armor I've wanted to convert for a loooong time. ^-^

Hello Aki-K.  I hope you (and everyone else) find it useful and easy to understand.

• 1 month later...

Dude, thank you so much for this! Super helpful and very easy to understand. For a long time I was dreading making conversions, because I thought it was super hard, but it's actually quite doable.

Seriously, thank you so much.

4 hours ago, Light of Hope said:

Dude, thank you so much for this! Super helpful and very easy to understand. For a long time I was dreading making conversions, because I thought it was super hard, but it's actually quite doable.

Seriously, thank you so much.

Hello LoH. Glad you found it useful.  Yeah, after making sure to do the initial "critical" steps in the correct sequence, it's quite easy.

• 9 months later...

Hello !

Thanks for sharing this guide. It is really useful and clear, and I had great sucess following it to convert a bunch of outfits.

However, Im having some issues with an armor with smp physics: the comforming of the armor to the uunp body itself works as expected, but the smp physics are completely gone. The armor even gets new body physics (breast, belly and butt) that did not had on the original mesh, but the cloth physics does not work anymore. So, does the converting process changes when there are smp physics involved ?. Is there an addiotional step to re-apply the cloth movement to the meshes ?.

Thanks again.

2 hours ago, moving_Sloth said:

Hello !

Thanks for sharing this guide. It is really useful and clear, and I had great sucess following it to convert a bunch of outfits.

However, Im having some issues with an armor with smp physics: the comforming of the armor to the uunp body itself works as expected, but the smp physics are completely gone. The armor even gets new body physics (breast, belly and butt) that did not had on the original mesh, but the cloth physics does not work anymore. So, does the converting process changes when there are smp physics involved ?. Is there an addiotional step to re-apply the cloth movement to the meshes ?.

Thanks again.

Hello Sloth. Glad you found the guide useful.   I know nothing about SMP.  While I understand it's the latest and greatest and that may be so, but from what I've seen it doesn't work any better than the weighting I have on my characters.  But that's a whole different conversation in itself.  And while the body is SMP, the clothes are probably HDT-PE.  When you bring HDT clothes into Outfit Studio, it destroys the clothes HDT "skeleton.nif", I imagine because of the reference body skeleton.  I discovered this while working on my YoRHa 2B follower that has HDT clothes.

Have you used NifSkope?  You'll need it.  If I remember correctly ( and not sure I do ), I made a "seed" copy  - aka the ORIGINAL nif(s)  of each part - the one's in the "Data\CalienteTools\BodySlide\ShapeData" folder(s).   Now, the following can be done differently based on who did the HDT clothes "rigging",  but I made another copy ( with the original nif name ) and deleted the "node" with the "skeleton.nif" and also the "BSDismemberSkinInstance" node (or whatever it's called).  Then, in Outfit Studio, I started a new project, selected the reference body along with the changed copy of the original nif.  When the reference body fit the clothes pretty close, I selected "File > Make Conversion Reference", then "Slider > Conform All" , etc., etc. like it says in the guide.

At this point I did my clothes "sizing" stuff, applied body physics, then saved the file with all the same name and directory stuff where the "original" nif is located.  Then, when in the "Data\CalienteTools\BodySlide\ShapeData" folder, I clicked on the original file nif (which opens in NifSkope) and then the new "copy" file (which opens in NifSkope).  In the ORIGINAL file, right click on the node where the skeleton is and select "Block > Copy Branch".  Now go to the COPY file and find the parts'  "NiTriShape" node, right-click and select "Block > Paste Branch".  Do the same for the "BSDismemberSkinInstance" stuff.  In game, I found that the HDT clothes worked fine, as well as the body physics, so my "trial and error" worked out OK.

I can't say the above will work for you and you may have to fuck things up a few times.  Below, the clothes HDT "skeleton" is shown in green. Also, notice the second line below, which has the directory location for the HDT clothes xml file. Just make sure the path is pointing to the correct spot.   Hope this helps somewhat...

Sloth1.jpg.90027ff5052d64a5b9b7f51c24d475a9.jpg

1 hour ago, moving_Sloth said:

Hello again !

Thanks for the quick response, gonna check it out right away. All this sounds really interesting but quite complex though ... better ready a pack of smokes, lots of coffee and my thinking hat.

Really appreciate your help, take care !

It probably sounds more complex than it really is. I just hope I've remembered everything correctly because I only had to do this a few times. Let me know how things work out and if you get stuck, hit me up or PM me - maybe it'll jar some additional info I've forgotten about.  The "complex" part was trying to figure the whole thing out in the first place, since I didn't know how HDT clothes worked.  ?

Hello !
Sorry for the late response, but I'm unable to get it right.
Think I'm doing somehing worng in nifskope, in the process of copying the NiNode and the BSDismemberSkinInstance. Also, maybe I misunderstood the method you described above, ... bear with me and let me talk you trough the steps as i'm going:
1. Make a backup copy of the original .nif for later use - Done
2. In the .nif sucject to conversion: open in nifskope, delete the NiNode and BSDismemberSkinInstance of all the NiTriShape nodes - Done
3. In outfit Studio, go trough the uunp conversion using the modified .nif - Done
4. In the .nif produced by Outfit Studio located at CalienteTools\Bodyslide\ShapeData copy from the original .nif the NiNode and the BSDismemberSkinInstance of all the NiTriShape nodes - Fail.
Thing is, whenever i try to copy the nodes to the .nif produced by OutfitStudio, I get some kind of duplicate node outside of the node I'd want it to be. With the NiNode I just delete the old one, but with the BSDismemberSkinInstance the copy stays out of the NiTriShape node wich is meant to be. Instead of the "Copy Branch" and "Paste Branch" options, I tried to  use "Copy" and "Paste Over" but this give me even strange results as I get a NiStriShape node inside the BSDismemberSkinINstance node (!), and lots of warnings when I try to save the file. I also tried to first delete the BSDismemberSkinSIntance node from the OutfitStudio .nif and then copying it from the original, but it also gets misplaced. Right now I'm only able to copy with sucess the NiStrinExtraData with the path to the .xml file. When I build the meshes in Bodyslide with this modification alone, I get in game some kind of cloth physics but not as it had in the original nif. Gotta say I'm pretty new to nifskope. I used it before to change the bodyslots from armor pieces and to make ground models but thats about it. I'm pretty sure I'm missing something when trying to copy the said nodes in nifskope, but can't tell what it is, or how to do it the proper way. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again.

4. In the .nif produced by Outfit Studio located at CalienteTools\Bodyslide\ShapeData copy from the original .nif the NiNode and the BSDismemberSkinInstance of all the NiTriShape nodes - Fail.

Oh shit, my fault - very sorry.  I forgot to mention what's noted below...

In the example below, after pasting in the BSDismemberSkinInstance, it puts that record it at the very bottom (as you mentioned more-or-less).  In this case, the number was 586. That number needs to be typed under it's respective NiTriShape ("Skirt" in this case) in the "Skin Instance" record, which would be blank.  Just double-click it and type. That'll pop the DSDismember thing into the correct "group".   If you want, you can then select (top menu) "Spells > Sanitize > Reorder Blocks" and that'll make things look like the "normal order" again.

This should help.

Sloth2.jpg.e77489e100f03dd13c20af4c736a6d6e.jpg

5 hours ago, moving_Sloth said:

- snip -

See above ^^^ .  Forgot to "quote" you so you get a notification.  BTW, I ran into the same issue you did, but the node is called "DSDismemberSkinInstance" and I noticed the "Skin Instance" spot under the main NiTriShape where I wanted it to go.  So I typed the number in an voila, it popped into place.  You'll have to forgive me, the amount of times I've done this I can count on one hand, let along explain it well to others.

1 hour ago, moving_Sloth said:

Well I'll be damned ! it works !. Got to copy those nodes properly and also got the cloth physics working right this time.

Really appreciate your interest and all the info. Learned a lot following this topic.

Thanks again.

Excellent!  I wasn't sure I remembered everything correctly, so great!  ?

• 10 months later...

Ahh! Ok, i kinda spent hours redoing over and over , untill i saw this

"your armor" _0.nif  &  "your armor" _1.nif  files into Outfit Studio and make changes.  WRONG!  "

PDF told me to open _1.nif and edit.. 

So, now after i edit file from CalienteTools i can use it in bodyslide to generate _0 and _1 weight 0-100 ?

So i couldnt get weight from _0 and _1 to work properly it was always _1 100 weight

--

Now if someone could write up how to get "reference from template" for UNP so i dont have to choose from file every time. 

this.png.5001f2d1646c9f863582a9f4341b821f.png

---EDIT Need help!

i am still lost at last step.

How to get output files Armor_1.nif Armor_2.nif meshes?

Once i save project i just have one base .nif armor. So how do i go from there and make 0-100 weight nifs?

Edited by fenkrik
Need help
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 7:04 PM, fenkrik said:

Ahh! Ok, i kinda spent hours redoing over and over , untill i saw this

"your armor" _0.nif  &  "your armor" _1.nif  files into Outfit Studio and make changes.  WRONG!  "

PDF told me to open _1.nif and edit.. 

So, now after i edit file from CalienteTools i can use it in bodyslide to generate _0 and _1 weight 0-100 ?

So i couldnt get weight from _0 and _1 to work properly it was always _1 100 weight

--

Now if someone could write up how to get "reference from template" for UNP so i dont have to choose from file every time. 

this.png.5001f2d1646c9f863582a9f4341b821f.png

---EDIT Need help!

i am still lost at last step.

How to get output files Armor_1.nif Armor_2.nif meshes?

Once i save project i just have one base .nif armor. So how do i go from there and make 0-100 weight nifs?

Hello fenkrik.  Sorry, I don't seem to be receiving notifications when things are posted.

"So, now after i edit file from CalienteTools i can use it in bodyslide to generate _0 and _1 weight 0-100 ?  So i couldnt get weight from _0 and _1 to work properly it was always _1 100 weight"

Click the radio button as shown below - which should be automatically selected by default . That will give to "armor_0.nif (0% weight) and "armor_1.nif" (100% weight).

Fenkrik_1.jpg.ab7f254e796707020cc7bc4ad9f156e0.jpg

"How to get output files Armor_1.nif Armor_2.nif meshes?"  I don't know what you're talking about here, sorry...

Edited by C5Kev
  • 2 months later...