C Programming Runs the World

KoolHndLuke

I'm taking some classes this fall that cover basic programming and I was surprised at how widely used the C programming language is. So I started digging and found a couple of interesting articles. All I can say is I am intrigued (and feeling a bit overwhelmed by all this information). Comments? :classic_smile:

https://www.toptal.com/c/after-all-these-years-the-world-is-still-powered-by-c-programming

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-games-written-in-C++

7 hours ago, spoonsinger said:

Kind of curious. Which language did you think was "running" the world?

Just a quick check revealed at least 256 programming languages, yet C is still the most widely used. I guess I never really thought about it. But I'm sure you were born knowing that, huh?

19 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Just a quick check revealed at least 256 programming languages, yet C is still the most widely used. I guess I never really thought about it. But I'm sure you were born knowing that, huh?

I wasn't being offensive in my query. Why get all moody and petulant with your reply? I was just really curious as to what you thought was the most used language being used before you found out otherwise. It's just my inquiring mind - which I was born with.

33 minutes ago, Fotogen said:

Lowlevel heavy lifting is done on C/C++, high level interface is done in some scripting language.

And a lot of high level languages use compilers or interpreters written in C/C++ too! For example, Google Chrome's V8 engine for JavaScript is written in C++ and the most common Python interpreter (CPython) is written in C. Essentially, C/C++ are used to make other programming languages.

3 hours ago, spoonsinger said:

I wasn't being offensive in my query. Why get all moody and petulant with your reply? I was just really curious as to what you thought was the most used language being used before you found out otherwise. It's just my inquiring mind - which I was born with.

Sorry. Having a bad day. Trying to learn Linux right now and I'm wondering why. I mean I've never used any other os besides windows.

Archived