Hi, some of my npc's that have had a makeover from a mod have the black face.  Now I use a lot of npc makeover mods such as Improved Bards, The Ordinary Women, Bijin Series of mods, Bards of Solitude, Ladies of Whiterun, Ladies of Solitude, Ladies of Dragonbridge , and Pandorable's NPC's Dawnguard.

The mod that is causing the black face is Pandorable's NPC's Dawnguard.  I have that mod loaded last in the load order, and I've reinstalled the facegen files in case they were overwritten, and I still have the same problem.  The npc in question is the vampire Sybille the court wizard in Solitude.  She was originally modified by Ladies of Solitude, then I overwrote that version of her when I installed Pandorable's mod, and now she has a black face.  

This has only started recently when I made a fresh reinstall of Skyrim SE, and reinstalled the mods.  Before I reinstalled the game she was fine in my game.  But now she has the black face.  I've used Vortex to make a rule to load Pandorable's mod after the other npc makeover mods.

Does anyone have any advice?

21 minutes ago, Kain82 said:

My PC has no problem running the game even with high resolution textures.  But here are my specs:

DxDiag.txt 102.5 kB · 0 downloads

On 6/3/2019 at 6:01 AM, nemocdt said:

i fixed all black faces in my build with the overwrite folder in mo2

Run LOOT first. this will fix most but not all black faces. 

Just make sure that the files.

\overwrite\textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\Facetint and the nif's in \overwrite\meshes\actors\character\facegendata\facegeom correspond to the mods you want to have priority.

worked 100% for me. 

Extract each mod facegendata folder (both Textures and meshes) to the MO2 overwrite folder  in ascending order from lowest to highest priority and overwrite as you want.

Tip: the NIF name is the same as the base id. (not needed for this process but if you really want to get tricky and mix and match)

you need both the facetint and facegeom data.

what I tried above ^^^ worked for me but in case it doesn't here is the whole thread

37 minutes ago, TheMoon401 said:

what I tried above ^^^ worked for me but in case it doesn't here is the whole thread

Thank you for the help.  Though I don't use MO I understand what they mean, and will do as they say.  I'm gonna go try now.

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2019 at 8:45 PM, Kain82 said:

Hi, some of my npc's that have had a makeover from a mod have the black face.  Now I use a lot of npc makeover mods such as Improved Bards, The Ordinary Women, Bijin Series of mods, Bards of Solitude, Ladies of Whiterun, Ladies of Solitude, Ladies of Dragonbridge , and Pandorable's NPC's Dawnguard.

The mod that is causing the black face is Pandorable's NPC's Dawnguard.  I have that mod loaded last in the load order, and I've reinstalled the facegen files in case they were overwritten, and I still have the same problem.  The npc in question is the vampire Sybille the court wizard in Solitude.  She was originally modified by Ladies of Solitude, then I overwrote that version of her when I installed Pandorable's mod, and now she has a black face.  

This has only started recently when I made a fresh reinstall of Skyrim SE, and reinstalled the mods.  Before I reinstalled the game she was fine in my game.  But now she has the black face.  I've used Vortex to make a rule to load Pandorable's mod after the other npc makeover mods.

Does anyone have any advice?

Sounds like you have a race record issue.  Dawnguard.esm  changed up the configuration for facegen in race records, changing it from the records from skyrim.esm  Any mod that changes race records needs to be configured to match Dawnguard or USLEEP/USSEP.  An example of this is Distinct Racial Morphs mod, or FK Racial Morphs.

Computer specs have little to do with the black face bug.  Black faces are typically either record - asset mismatches or racial record problems.  In addition, but related to record - asset mismatches, is file corruption.  Yes files are sometimes corrupted for unknown reasons and can cause black face.  Simply re installing the file will fix it.