Sims 3 Hair

i've found i've got a load of sims3packs and packages of hairs for my sims 3 which i'd love to learn how to mod into skyrim' date=' i've tried following the guide posted by Endiness but im not particularly good with 3ds max or blender, i'd love to be able to mod all the hairs, is there like an idiots guide to converting mods which i can use? or if any of the modders out there have time to make an idiots guide.

[/quote']

Yeah i wish there was a tutorial on how to use 3DSmax for hair... Got stuck at the 3DSmax bit part because im not sure what to do..

you can watch these Nightasy skyrim 3Dmax Tutorial videos

he does not have a hair video but does make a helmet

http://www.youtube.com/user/NightasyTutorials/videos

NOTE: This is the help i received from maymay1588, full credits to maymay for the really helpful 3dsmax tutorial to edit the mesh and export it. It really helped me and i thought i could share it with anyone else who might be struggling at the 3ds bit. Huge thanks to maymay!! :D

Yes I use 3ds max and I'm not the best at it, but I should be able to help you. It's the process of texturing and using Nifscope that I won't be much help with. In 3ds max all you need to do is import the object hair mesh file, then import either a male or female head mesh nif file to convert the hair to.

This is how it looks for importing the obj file.

Step0_zps1d0d4948.jpg

This is how it looks importing the head mesh nif file.

Step1_zpsf74a541f.jpg

If you can't import or export nif files, then download this: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/5622

Then use the mesh editing to form it the way you want it around the head mesh and when that is completed, import a hair nif file from either the game or another someone has successfully ported to Skyrim and select your mesh you are working on. If you don't know how to edit meshes, there are plenty of video tutorials that will show how to do this whether Skyrim related or not.

Go to the top and look for Modifiers, drop it down and click animation and select Skin Wrap.

Step2_zps01894676.jpg

You will see it appear to the right column. Click skin wrap then select the add button and you should see it darken.

Step3_zps3c447852.jpg

Next click on the hair that you are not porting and it will appear in the blank box above add. Now just check the box weight all points and click convert the skin.

Step4_zps66d77a4e.png

You can now delete the head mesh, the hair you are not using from the scene and the skin wrap option off to the right column so all that is left is the skeleton, the hair mesh you are porting with the skin.

Last thing before exporting is to add the DSDismemberSkin Modifier. Make sure your hair mesh is selected and just click the Modifier List arrow and scroll down until you find it and select it.

Step5_zps9831b411.jpg

You will now see it appear above skin in the right column, so select it and in the body part drop down locate Skyrim, Hair slot 1, use on hoods and select it. Once that is done, you will see three shapes lined up below it. Select the triangle shape and be sure to select all vertices of the hair mesh so everything turns red. If you don't the program will crash on export. Best thing to do it in the scene, left click, hold, and drag the dotted line box over everything to make sure you don't miss anything.

Step6_zpsfd40d90c.jpg

You are how ready to export, so go to export, change save as type to Netimmerse/Gamebryo (*.KF.*.NIF). You can name it whatever you want and click save. A box will pop up and make sure it looks like the image below and you should be able to export.

Step7_zps05a419ec.jpg

Okay that should be it.

well, thanks to that above guide and the one on page one i've been tinkering and have been converting hairs left right and centre, im pretty bad at getting textures to work though, even with following the instructions in the first page guide, hell, i even exported the dds images from tsr workshop, they just look real bad in nifskope/skyrim, i'll edit my post with some screenshots of conversions so far.

EDIT:

A91Af.jpg

pV1JK.jpg

ENIYI.jpg

jqr7R.jpg

9gRKf.jpg

yPWkV.jpg

well' date=' thanks to that above guide and the one on page one i've been tinkering and have been converting hairs left right and centre, im pretty bad at getting textures to work though, even with following the instructions in the first page guide, hell, i even exported the dds images from tsr workshop, they just look real bad in nifskope/skyrim, i'll edit my post with some screenshots of conversions so far.

EDIT:

pV1JK.jpg

ENIYI.jpg

jqr7R.jpg

9gRKf.jpg

yPWkV.jpg

What do you mean they look real bad in nifskope? Have you exported them yet? How do they look like in skyrim?

well i exported some of the .dds files for each of the corresponding hairs, i wasn't sure which ones to get, i got alphas' diffuses and specular ones, but when i've tried using them as textures for the hairs in nifskope they don't show up particularly well, i've looked at the ones made by different modders and they have colour and look decent, i am pretty new to this stuff so im likely to be doing something wrong, but the hardest part has been done with the meshes, i know they show up in skyrim :), again thanks.

well i exported some of the .dds files for each of the corresponding hairs' date=' i wasn't sure which ones to get, i got alphas' diffuses and specular ones, but when i've tried using them as textures for the hairs in nifskope they don't show up particularly well, i've looked at the ones made by different modders and they have colour and look decent, i am pretty new to this stuff so im likely to be doing something wrong, but the hardest part has been done with the meshes, i know they show up in skyrim :), again thanks.

[/quote']

Well, i guess all you is the normal map n and the plain .dds. Im not sure about speculrs and diffuses mate. Haha, im kinda new to this scene too, but thats what ive been doing with my hairs on nikskope.

• 2 weeks later...

I need a little help. I get an error message when importing hair package in TSR Workshop "index was outside the bounds of the array". Google is no help. What does it mean and how to successfully import it?

I've tried some of the hairs from anubis360's blog and sometimes im getting that error too :s. I guess the only way i rectified it is grabbing it in .sims3pack format instead of a .package format. Unfortunately, a lot of the hairs there are in .package format. Im not too sure why it pops up with that error. :(

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seems like I can't do this on my own... Anybody would be kind to convert this hair? Please? I've been trying the whole day but it just doesn't work :/ I had a mod that had both this hair and the one on the first post... But it was deleted from the Nexus... If anyone can give  me this hair I will be so haaaaaaaaappy :D

http://mysims3blog.blogspot.com.br/2012/06/peggy-hair-886-retextured-and-fixed-for.html

544494_422801634431607_849997804_n.jpg

• 1 year later...

I wanted to convert a bunch of hairs (and possibly clothes) from Sims 3 to Skyrim, but alas, I failed.

For once, there was the "Index was outside the bounds of the array" error in the Sims Workshop, which was allright, as it did not seem to do anything, but...

I could not export anything. I clicked on it, but it didn't do anything. That button is broken.

I wanted to convert Touhou mods.

I will post screenshots to show how it all happened.

7B1a6M2.jpg

AvwM1Bf.jpg

oOkMySs.jpg

vpi9KTf.jpgOgXmXso.jpg

J4dg46R.jpg

U51mPhg.jpg

Everything fine and dandy up until this point...

xJ1mTzT.jpg

Ok-kay....

EfBWAD1.jpg

First betreyal. The dreaded "Index was outside the bounds of the array" error.

OBeUdeT.jpg

mn0WDjB.jpg

wGOYr7j.jpg

eeKOSKn.jpg

Nothing happens...

6wSAZ1o.jpg

Nothing here either...

3uOKosH.jpg

I can't export stuff.

This means I can not convert anything, unless I find alternate tools.

I would very much like to convert all of the stuff I linked, but this way, I can't, and I'm afraid that if someone who doesn't know about Touhou tries to convert them, he may get some things wrong, like the ribbons and other stuff that are parts of the hair meshes, even though they shouldn't be.

I wanted to convert a bunch of hairs (and possibly clothes) from Sims 3 to Skyrim, but alas, I failed.

For once, there was the "Index was outside the bounds of the array" error in the Sims Workshop, which was allright, as it did not seem to do anything, but...

I could not export anything. I clicked on it, but it didn't do anything. That button is broken.

I wanted to convert Touhou mods.

-snip-

I can't export stuff.

This means I can not convert anything, unless I find alternate tools.

I would very much like to convert all of the stuff I linked, but this way, I can't, and I'm afraid that if someone who doesn't know about Touhou tries to convert them, he may get some things wrong, like the ribbons and other stuff that are parts of the hair meshes, even though they shouldn't be.

The short of it is the package/mesh files are broken and thus extremely difficult to export. Supposedly there is some mystical magical way to extract/export broken meshes but I've never figured it out. Some content creators do this by accident though a few have done it so it can't be ported/retextured. I personally don't know how to fix it.

But yeah that's what that error is.

I started using an other tool, and I could actually export the hairs and clothes. Now I only need to figure out what to do next...

Blender is very counter-inituitive. Any potential alternatives?

Maybe if I upload the meshes and textures - and instructions, if needed* - someone may be able to work with them?

*These hair meshes contain things that shouldn't be part of a hair mesh, like ribbons, hairbands, sometimes even wings... And if someone who doesn't know about Touhou works with them, they mey get the wrong colours. If we can give them colours at all to begin with.

• 1 year later...

Archived